Adding Second battery or get 150 amp Alternator - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1972
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Took closer look at positive battery connections. Washers and nuts are squeezing shrink tubing not actual terminal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2245e1.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	2518146  
Noodles, LegendaryATM and bobby735 like this.

1972 280SEL 4.5
1999 ML320
2000 E320
2003 ML350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:14 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witek_M View Post
Took closer look at positive battery connections. Washers and nuts are squeezing shrink tubing not actual terminal.
Good observation Witek.... The heat shrink pinched between the post terminals could make for a crappy connection..
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 2000 ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
So I sanded and cleaned all the battery and ground terminal connections. I redid the connections to the battery making sure the heat shrink covers were not obstructing the connections. Still I was having issues. So then I tried disconnecting ballasts one by one. At first i disconnected the driver side which is the side that doesn't always turn on. Turned the lights on and the passenger side lights turned on just fine. No twitching of wipers and no horn going off. Then I disconnected the passenger side and reconnected the driver side ballast. Tried the lights again. Buzzing, twitching galore......Just to be sure I swapped the passenger ballast to driver side to make sure it wasn't a connection issue. Worked just fine with no electrical issues. So I guess it was a faulty ballast all along. I should have looked at that at first.... I ordered a new Denso ballast from amazon. I'll update as soon as I can install it. Thanks for all your input!
mattml430 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: 2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The slimline ballast can give trouble much sooner than the big bulky ones. I had both in mine and the bulky ones never gave trouble but the slimline ballasts always died first. Glad you got it fixed ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryATM View Post
So I sanded and cleaned all the battery and ground terminal connections. I redid the connections to the battery making sure the heat shrink covers were not obstructing the connections. Still I was having issues. So then I tried disconnecting ballasts one by one. At first i disconnected the driver side which is the side that doesn't always turn on. Turned the lights on and the passenger side lights turned on just fine. No twitching of wipers and no horn going off. Then I disconnected the passenger side and reconnected the driver side ballast. Tried the lights again. Buzzing, twitching galore......Just to be sure I swapped the passenger ballast to driver side to make sure it wasn't a connection issue. Worked just fine with no electrical issues. So I guess it was a faulty ballast all along. I should have looked at that at first.... I ordered a new Denso ballast from amazon. I'll update as soon as I can install it. Thanks for all your input!
Good show ATM.. and just remember... It's never the first but always turns out to be the last thing that you look at that gets it fixed..
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
update: Got new ballast. Problem seems to be resolved. Shame that the original ballast lasted just 3 months....I thought densos were a decent brand.
mattml430 likes this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:07 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
update: Got new ballast. Problem seems to be resolved. Shame that the original ballast lasted just 3 months....I thought densos were a decent brand.
Again,.. Good Show.. ATM.. Only a couple things.. I was under the impression that this was a new install that never worked.. That being my reason why I was throwing out "mods." to get it to work.. Sorry, I must have missed the part about it being a 3 month old working system before it crapped out.. Also, Denso.. it's name band, top of the line.. that's if you haven't a Chinese counterfeit part that's been passed off on to you..
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: 2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:

If you can keep away from the slimline ballast and can fit the bigger ones they last a lot longer. They keep cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in