Adding Second battery or get 150 amp Alternator - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Witek_M's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1972
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 6,358
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Took closer look at positive battery connections. Washers and nuts are squeezing shrink tubing not actual terminal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2245e1.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	2518146  
Noodles, LegendaryATM and bobby735 like this.

1972 280SEL 4.5
1999 ML320
2000 E320
2003 ML350
Witek_M is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:14 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
Location: Tallahassee FL
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witek_M View Post
Took closer look at positive battery connections. Washers and nuts are squeezing shrink tubing not actual terminal.
Good observation Witek.... The heat shrink pinched between the post terminals could make for a crappy connection..
bobby735 is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 2000 ML320
Location: RENO, NV
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
So I sanded and cleaned all the battery and ground terminal connections. I redid the connections to the battery making sure the heat shrink covers were not obstructing the connections. Still I was having issues. So then I tried disconnecting ballasts one by one. At first i disconnected the driver side which is the side that doesn't always turn on. Turned the lights on and the passenger side lights turned on just fine. No twitching of wipers and no horn going off. Then I disconnected the passenger side and reconnected the driver side ballast. Tried the lights again. Buzzing, twitching galore......Just to be sure I swapped the passenger ballast to driver side to make sure it wasn't a connection issue. Worked just fine with no electrical issues. So I guess it was a faulty ballast all along. I should have looked at that at first.... I ordered a new Denso ballast from amazon. I'll update as soon as I can install it. Thanks for all your input!
mattml430 likes this.
LegendaryATM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
mattml430's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 4,361
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The slimline ballast can give trouble much sooner than the big bulky ones. I had both in mine and the bulky ones never gave trouble but the slimline ballasts always died first. Glad you got it fixed ok.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattml430 is online now  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:31 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
Location: Tallahassee FL
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryATM View Post
So I sanded and cleaned all the battery and ground terminal connections. I redid the connections to the battery making sure the heat shrink covers were not obstructing the connections. Still I was having issues. So then I tried disconnecting ballasts one by one. At first i disconnected the driver side which is the side that doesn't always turn on. Turned the lights on and the passenger side lights turned on just fine. No twitching of wipers and no horn going off. Then I disconnected the passenger side and reconnected the driver side ballast. Tried the lights again. Buzzing, twitching galore......Just to be sure I swapped the passenger ballast to driver side to make sure it wasn't a connection issue. Worked just fine with no electrical issues. So I guess it was a faulty ballast all along. I should have looked at that at first.... I ordered a new Denso ballast from amazon. I'll update as soon as I can install it. Thanks for all your input!
Good show ATM.. and just remember... It's never the first but always turns out to be the last thing that you look at that gets it fixed..
bobby735 is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 2000 ML320
Location: RENO, NV
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
update: Got new ballast. Problem seems to be resolved. Shame that the original ballast lasted just 3 months....I thought densos were a decent brand.
mattml430 likes this.
LegendaryATM is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:07 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
Location: Tallahassee FL
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryATM View Post
update: Got new ballast. Problem seems to be resolved. Shame that the original ballast lasted just 3 months....I thought densos were a decent brand.
Again,.. Good Show.. ATM.. Only a couple things.. I was under the impression that this was a new install that never worked.. That being my reason why I was throwing out "mods." to get it to work.. Sorry, I must have missed the part about it being a 3 month old working system before it crapped out.. Also, Denso.. it's name band, top of the line.. that's if you haven't a Chinese counterfeit part that's been passed off on to you..
bobby735 is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
mattml430's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 4,361
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryATM View Post
update: Got new ballast. Problem seems to be resolved. Shame that the original ballast lasted just 3 months....I thought densos were a decent brand.


If you can keep away from the slimline ballast and can fit the bigger ones they last a lot longer. They keep cooler.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattml430 is online now  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 2000 ML320
Location: RENO, NV
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
LegendaryATM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome