post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Vehicle: 01 ML430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I command you to crawl!

Anyone lift weights and watch CT Fletcher?

I'm gettin pretty annoyed with this AWD system and it refusing to negotiate off-camber 3 wheel situations. I try to get it to simply crawl up an 8 inch rail road tie and it gives up flashing the center hazzard light and beeping at me while cutting all power to the front end.

HOW IS IT DOING THIS?

As far as I can tell by looking at pictures of transfer cases and diffs already removed, the only electrical piece involved is the low range selector. Mine works. Goes into low range just fine. Wont do shit with the power when I want to climb things like a crazy person but will spin all 4 if I hammer it on a loose surface.

I tried cheating the system and while it was beeping at me, I slowly engaged the parking brake to stop the spinning whee in the rear. Once I stopped it, power returned to the front wheel with least resistance so I still went nowhere as it had now cut power to the rear all together.

At this point I need to know if when this is happening, am I loosing power at the t-case or the diffs. Only way to do that is have a trusting friend crawl under the car while I piss off the traction control system and tell me if both front and rear drive shafts are spinning. I'm new to MB but have built a few Toyota rock crawlers. I swapped to a 5spd manual trans and t-case on my 97 4Runner and that messed up the way I had to engage 4wd as before it was just push button and that engaged the t-case and the front diff. I found that with the manual t-case when I selected 4wd, that would engage only the front drive shaft but the drive shaft was not yet engaging the front diff because the front diff needed a vacuum solenoid activated to move a fork over that locked power from drive shaft to the diff. This seems much simpler than all that as it if full time AWD with a certain percentage of power going to the rear and the rest to the front.

So what the hell is disengaging when the traction control system freaks out? There is no violent clunking or anything that would suggest part failure or harsh gear engagement.

Whatever computer fancy pants bs is going on, I'm going to figure out how to override it when I want to. I can deal with open diffs and 2wd but not a 1 wheel wonder.

Can anyone save my friend from laying on the ground by shedding dome light on this subject?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The second generation of 4Matic was reintroduced on the W210 series in 1998/1999. Available only with left hand drive, the cars were again manufactured at the Magna-Steyr plant in Austria. The second generation of 4Matic utilized a full-time 4-wheel drive system with three open differentials front, centre and rear. Traction control is achieved using ETS (Electronic Traction System). This employs the ABS system with additional valves to monitor and then partially brake any wheel which loses traction. This much simpler system is also featured in the Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You won’t be able to disable the system without causing the vehicle to go into limp mode, and what ever other problems it will cause disabling it if you even can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1999 ML430
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Try to avoid the eight inch rails !!

Man, you've got a ML that is 18 years old and you expect it to climb and descend Mt. Everest?

Sounds like you are very knowledgeable with traction systems and four wheel drive setups, but your ML is not a state-of-the-art 2019 G class ! Enjoy the ML for what it is and its huge capacity, excellent road manners and SAFETY .......good luck with the project..keep us posted !
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:09 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Something is still not right, regardless of the age. Your ML has 4ETS+ which should be able to move the vehicle when only one wheel has traction. Of course if the at wheels with traction are wedge against something and there's not enough engine torque to get over it, then you're stuck.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:28 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don’t struggle for traction https://youtu.be/qCdAoyjwZ7Q
Noodles and mattml430 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in