post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Vehicle: 01 ML430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Making the Transmission shift better than new

I've done my fair share of valve body work and built my own 500hp Ford C6 for my old 66 Galaxie.

I also knew that this this trans was going to possibly need the conductor plate before I bought it. Just due to all of the ones I've seen for sale with trans stuck in limp mode and all the videos out there showing how to replace it.

So after a few months of driving it, she finally went in limp mode on me leaving a stop sign to climb a long hill. So glad I have the 430 because the 320 would not have pulled up this hill in 4th gear like I had to. No check engine or trans light but I ran diagnostics anyways and had a P0701 or 709, can't remember but long story short... cleared em and it drove perfect for 2 days and on the 3dr day, same exact place at the bottom of the hill...4th gear only. Ordered the conductor plate, filter and a dip stick. Not going into detail about installation since it's been done 10000 times but I did fear the worst as there was a ton of "clutch mud" in the pan and on the magnets. New parts and fluid in and it drives a bit "crisper" than before. So problem solved for about $100. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmissio...72.m2749.l2649

Bare with me here... these are "SEALED" units with "LIFETIME" fluid so says MB. That is not in anyway true unless they are saying that the fluid will last till the transmission fails because the fluid was never serviced and we don't care because the warranty is way gone! But when you have 200k miles on your trans and the clutches have broken down and contaminated the fluid with tons of grippy particulate, it may be that grippy particulate in the nasty fluid that is now acting as you clutch material between the discs. Clutches happy but valve body not so much. So if you take the majority of the grippy fluid away and replace it with nice new Valvoline Max Life, you run the risk of ripping the clutches to shreds as they struggle to grip. So not only did I fill with the Max Life, I did a bottle of Lucas Stop Slip to ensure good friction on the clutches and it's doing great so far.

And with all this talk about slipping clutches, I'm not happy with the way the trans is lazily shifting once warmed up. Cold it shifts quickly but once warm the shifts are slow almost a full second between gears. This is under normal acceleration, not WOT. In an effort to further protect the clutches, delay the inevitable rebuild and gain faster harder shifts, I'm going to do the shift kit. Since I'll have the VB back out, I'll do the sleeves and new solenoids as well. In response to one of my other posts, I found this trans is definitely supposed to have TC lockup and I don't have it so probably a bad solenoid.

All in all I'll have another $170 in the transmission. I've done a lot of research after getting away from W163 searches and searching for "722.6" trans fixes and mods. Tons of info that way.

Yes, I am an eBay fanatic. Some stuff is trash and other stuff is great. I've used Transgo in almost every A/T I've had. As for the solenoids and sleeves... we shall see.

$67 Shift Kit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transgo-Shi...53.m1438.l2649

$40 Sleeves
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-68942-0...53.m1438.l2649

$58 All Solenoids
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6Pcs-722-6-...53.m1438.l2649

Might also add a trans cooler and temp gauge...

I want to avoid any extra strain on the trans as it will soon be spinning some 285/70/17 MTs.
Nedyalkov likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:29 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2014
Vehicle: ex-'93 200CE-16V / 2005 S211 E280CDi Avantgarde / 1998 E200Kompressor Avantgarde
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Very useful ! Thanks for sharing!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:22 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Jonathan:

Great tech info and efforts on your 722.6.

It's also called a 5-Gtronic and AKA W5J400

Used jointly in many MB & Chrysler rear drive vehicles, Dodge Charger, Challenger, Grand Cherokee, and on and on.

On fluids, consider that using the 236.10 spec fluids versus the later, slipperier 236.12 or .14 that were designed for the 7 & 9 speed boxes, these latter ones are LV fluids.

I would suggest your box MAY be happier with the original spec.

I def agree with using the Lucas, if you will employ the Valvoine Max Life as it's an .12 / .14 slipperier fluid.

So, how do I find the earlier spec 236.10 ?

I could source Shell 3403 but soooo much easier to just get any brand of ATF+4 fluid for Chrylser Mopar it still has all the fluid specs for these awesome 5 speed boxes.

Anyhow, just an idea, and it's Full synthetic and you can get it in Gallon jugs at O'reilly's for around $5 per quart, $20 gallon.

Or pay $6.50 quart for the Valvoline ATF+4.

It's a licensed Chrylser fluid made by 50 vendors worldwide. Given such wide distribution, the price is reasonable. Heck for the super budget sensitive, it's $ 4.27 a quart at WalMart.

Desgined in the late 90's when 'DamlierChrysler' was a thing - ergo the crossover of fluid spec.

Since discovering this, I do annual 1/2 fluid drops, every 2 years drop pan change filter.

Boxes run perfect, no hiccups & no pan junk.

I feel guilty as the fluid coming out looks quite pristine.

just an FWIW...

David in East Texas

Spec Geek Out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merced...c_transmission

Gone, and fondly remembered:

1975 240D - 4 speed manual, power nothing
1984 190E 2.3 - Cute, reliable & slow
1983 300SD - Great highway tourer, 28mpg

Here & greatly appreciated:

2000 E 320 Wagon -
2002 ML 500 - Finally got one !

Last edited by 2000 E 320 White Wagon; 05-24-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Add link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:58 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2015 ML250 BluTec, 2002 ML 500 Sport Edition (Sold :(), 2012 C250
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Kucyj View Post
I've done my fair share of valve body work and built my own 500hp Ford C6 for my old 66 Galaxie.

I also knew that this this trans was going to possibly need the conductor plate before I bought it. Just due to all of the ones I've seen for sale with trans stuck in limp mode and all the videos out there showing how to replace it.

So after a few months of driving it, she finally went in limp mode on me leaving a stop sign to climb a long hill. So glad I have the 430 because the 320 would not have pulled up this hill in 4th gear like I had to. No check engine or trans light but I ran diagnostics anyways and had a P0701 or 709, can't remember but long story short... cleared em and it drove perfect for 2 days and on the 3dr day, same exact place at the bottom of the hill...4th gear only. Ordered the conductor plate, filter and a dip stick. Not going into detail about installation since it's been done 10000 times but I did fear the worst as there was a ton of "clutch mud" in the pan and on the magnets. New parts and fluid in and it drives a bit "crisper" than before. So problem solved for about $100. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmissio...72.m2749.l2649

Bare with me here... these are "SEALED" units with "LIFETIME" fluid so says MB. That is not in anyway true unless they are saying that the fluid will last till the transmission fails because the fluid was never serviced and we don't care because the warranty is way gone! But when you have 200k miles on your trans and the clutches have broken down and contaminated the fluid with tons of grippy particulate, it may be that grippy particulate in the nasty fluid that is now acting as you clutch material between the discs. Clutches happy but valve body not so much. So if you take the majority of the grippy fluid away and replace it with nice new Valvoline Max Life, you run the risk of ripping the clutches to shreds as they struggle to grip. So not only did I fill with the Max Life, I did a bottle of Lucas Stop Slip to ensure good friction on the clutches and it's doing great so far.

And with all this talk about slipping clutches, I'm not happy with the way the trans is lazily shifting once warmed up. Cold it shifts quickly but once warm the shifts are slow almost a full second between gears. This is under normal acceleration, not WOT. In an effort to further protect the clutches, delay the inevitable rebuild and gain faster harder shifts, I'm going to do the shift kit. Since I'll have the VB back out, I'll do the sleeves and new solenoids as well. In response to one of my other posts, I found this trans is definitely supposed to have TC lockup and I don't have it so probably a bad solenoid.

All in all I'll have another $170 in the transmission. I've done a lot of research after getting away from W163 searches and searching for "722.6" trans fixes and mods. Tons of info that way.

Yes, I am an eBay fanatic. Some stuff is trash and other stuff is great. I've used Transgo in almost every A/T I've had. As for the solenoids and sleeves... we shall see.

$67 Shift Kit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transgo-Shi...53.m1438.l2649

$40 Sleeves

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-68942-0...53.m1438.l2649

$58 All Solenoids

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6Pcs-722-6-...53.m1438.l2649

Might also add a trans cooler and temp gauge...

I want to avoid any extra strain on the trans as it will soon be spinning some 285/70/17 MTs.
Hate to tell you, but seems like you're new to the party, from doing a search on the forums, you'll see going back 10+ years, these 722.6 beasts were never supposed to be sealed for life.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 03:32 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WE47B1ME View Post
Hate to tell you, but seems like you're new to the party, from doing a search on the forums, you'll see going back 10+ years, these 722.6 beasts were never supposed to be sealed for life.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk
WE, Jonathan:

Yeah this 'sealed for life' nonsense begs the question: 'Life of whom or what ?'

Follow that advice, and the 722.6 will indeed suffer a short life & early death.

Hey, thats what they mean, ya think ?

Nah, but seriously that MUST have been an invention of the marketing arm of MB, not the engineering arm.
WE47B1ME likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: 01 ML55
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
For any YouTube guys, legit street cars did a new valvebody in his W211 E55 from a place called southern hotrod that does upgrades to the transmissions in the SRT Dodge/Chrysler’s . I emailed them and they said they did offer something for my ML but it’s a little pricey. Gives better shifts from what Alex said but downshifts are harsher. Still thinking about it. I love the trans in the ML for comfort but performance it’s a dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in