Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2005 ML500 Power Steering Fluid.

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  wallyo 
#1 · (Edited)
After searching Benzworld on this W163 forum I found the following references to the correct PS fluid for my ML.
What I found was MB # Q 1 46 0001, BQ 1 46 0001, Fuchs Titan, Fuchs Pentosin PSF and 000 989 26 03, all relating to MB's 236.3 spec.

I thought the Fuchs Pentosin was a Synthetic fluid but I think I was wrong. The Pentosin is just the latest version of the Titan label. I assume the W163 ML use a non-synthetic PS fluid.

The MB Q 1 46 0001 on Amazon was cheaper than the Fuchs so I ordered that. What I received was Q 1 46 0002 with a sticker on label showing the 0001 #. The seller claims that this is the superseded version of the 0001#.

Can anyone confirm that the Q 1 46 0002 is a valid and correct part number for our W163 ML's?

Another thing I have seen on a few part number searches is the number "BQ ******" vs. just "B******" usually related to fluids. Can anyone shed light on the use of the "B" vs no "B"?

Thanks,
Mike

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

FYI Fuchs lists Pentosin PSF as a powersteering fluid for Mercedes vehicles.

https://www.fuchs.com/hu/en/special/product/product/127756-pentosin-psf/

There is a note on this Fuchs page that states "Note: This product has been previously marketed under TITAN PSF"

That's why I'm confused by everything I have found on line.

My PS fluid is right at the Cold MIN line and all I need is a few ounces (ml) of fluid.
Maybe I will just leave it alone. It is within spec so I will just keep an eye on the level. No problems with the steering. Just trying to do some preventative maintenance.

Mike

Mike

#8 ·
As I understand it Dexron III is also fine to use, Needed to replace the steering pump reservoir O-ring. So while at the dealer while I asked if then had a return hose and what
fluid to use. He said "I can sell you the Mercedes or you can just use Dexron III", I said that is what I heard there's no problem using it he said none at all.

If you look at the specs on the list and take a closer look at say the Gulf ATF MX it states it meets Dexron III. You use so little of it unlike transmission oil cost is not a major factor here what is more important is what you can get ahold of should you need it in a pinch. Straight Dexron III is not as common as it once was either, Auto Zone only carries one.

236.3 Steering gear oils (ATF, Specification 236.3)
The following product list should help you to select the correct operating fluid for your vehicle/major assembly from the variety of products in the market.
We are recommending to use exclusively the products listed in the following overview, because only these products have been tested and approved by Mercedes-Benz.
We recommend using only products
which are distinctly marked with the label indicating the approval of Mercedes-Benz, e.g. “MB-Approval 229.51”. Labels referring e.g. to “MB 229.51” don't have an approval of Mercedes-Benz.
Which are listed in the current MB BeVo. Only listed products are tested and approved by Mercedes-Benz.
Application in vehicles/major assemblies refer to Sheet 231.1 (passenger cars, cross-country vehicles) Sheet 231.2 (commercial vehicles) Sheet 231.3 (UNIMOG, MB tractor)
Select Sheet

Overview

Last update: 05/16/2019
Productname
Principal
Productname
Principal
Mercedes-Benz Genuine Power Steering Fluid MB 236.3 Daimler AG, Stuttgart/Deutschland
MB 236.3 Genuine Power Steering Fluid A000 989 10 04 Daimler AG, Stuttgart/Deutschland
Fuchs PENTOSIN PSF Fuchs Petrolub AG, Mannheim/Deutschland
GONHER ATF DIID M 6.3 Lubricantes de América, S.A. de C.V., SANTA CATARINA/MEXICO
Gulf ATF MX Gulf Oil International, London/ENGLAND
LIQUI MOLY LENKGETRIEBE- ÖL 3100 Liqui Moly GmbH, Ulm/Deutschland
LUBRAL ATF DIID M 6.3 Lubricantes de América, S.A. de C.V., SANTA CATARINA/MEXICO
megol Lenkgetriebeoel Stability Meguin GmbH & Co. KG Mineraloelwerke, Saarlouis/Deutschland
PANOLIN ATF MULTI PANOLIN AG, MADETSWIL/Schweiz
PETRONAS ATF FLUID 236.3 PETRONAS LUBRICANTS INTERNATIONAL, VILLASTELLONE (Torino)/ITALY
Sinopec Greatwall ATF-B3 Lubricant Company, Sinopec Corp., Beijing/P. R. of CHINA

As to the power steering return hose it was out of stock, so I went with Gates 3/8 bulk hose, gave it a broad turn, made sure nothing was rubbing against it. What I did notice is it was a bit softer then the old hose. I know there was a clamp recall on this, but I wonder if the issue was not the clamps but the molded hose being too stiff?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.