BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1999 Mercedes-Benz S420 / 1999 Honda Passport EX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to PetrFin
(Thread Starter)
Going to see/buy 1999 ML 430

Hello friends, visiting from W140 section.
I'm going to see 1999 ML 430 tomorrow. I'm experienced with Mercedes but because I was never buying a vehicle in California what should I look for. Of course I want a title, smog certificate and what else? The seller probably keeps the tags so I guess I'll bring mine and move the car to my home. It's only 15 minutes.
Anything else? Thank you.

W140 or nothing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:40 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Vehicle: 01 ML430
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Bill of sale between you and seller with names, DL#, VIN, date and signatures.

If seller has them, full maintenance records. Take a good look over the vehicle because if you're not mechanically inclined the repair costs on these can be high. Not trying to talk you out of getting one but I've put about $600 in parts into mine since getting it and I still have yet to do the cooling system. I scored mine for $1k and it's goin to be a daily driver and trail rig. 2 big jobs are the engine mounts and timing chain.

Be sure not to rush and try every switch. Make sure all seats function properly. Use anything you can find to help drop the price.

Good Luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you. I'm familiar with the costs. My W140 cost me thousands but now it's a great car.

W140 or nothing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2019
Vehicle: 2003 ml500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
You did not mention mileage.

No matter how mech incline you are, a paid inspection by even an Indy holds more weight. But 2 months ago we purchased an 03 ml 500 at auction, so there was very little I could due in way of inspection, an mechanic inspection would of been tough and I had short notice could not even drive it. Though I did sneak a roll forward and back to be sure it moved.

The auction house is pretty good at noting issues they have observed, ours stated jump needed to start and front end noise. In fact they have a 09 Gl 320 ending Wednesday, it reads: "noticed fluid leak" and there is.
So I brought a multi meter to check if it was battery or alternator, alt was fine, battery bad.

As Jonathan said check every switch, heater, seats/heat, AC windows, mirrors etc. interior lights.

Since it needed a jump, radio would not turn on but said enter code. So I knew the code would solve it or a used head. Code did the trick. Look under for any fluid puddles.

After we got it I called MB for radio code was told their was an open recall. Went to the dealer and they did a 60 point check for free while working on the recall.

Aside from suggesting fluid replacement/ spark plugs they found:

Bad engine mounts
valve cover leak
Power steering leak (cant find it and fluid level has not dropped?)

In addition to the above I found:
Bad differential mount ( better known as subframe bushing)
Bad transmission mount
Bad rear drive shaft center support bearing ( think I read some 99 owners saying theirs is one piece)

listen for a bad wheel bearing as well. If front end during turns it will go away. Many online videos covering this.

Bushing and mounts will be steering wheel vibration and noise.

Center bearing, if there is one, will sound like a warped rotor or bent dust shield scraping, put 4 people in the car everyone will say it is coming from the wheel closest to them, but the noise is behind the center console.

If the engine on the 99 has an appearance cover ask the owner if he will pull it off ( If done wrong they tend to crack and If you do not buy the car you do not want to pay for a replacement ) some fill caps may have to come off first.

Then you can look for oil/fluid leaks. Check exhaust system for cracks or rust. See if you can get a loaner code reader. check for codes, rpm, some will give the shift points on a drive. Friend gave me one, the 19.00 ones you see advertised, downloaded a free app it gives me all the above on my iPhone.

look under at shocks/struts for oil leaks.

The engine and transmission are pretty solid and if cared for will last a long time. But do your initial check, no matter how much you like, it no matter if you will or have no intension, ask "you mind if I take it to my mechanic"? If a firm "yes I mind" walk away.

Let us know how it goes.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Milage is 190 000

W140 or nothing
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:09 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2019
Vehicle: 2003 ml500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Meant to mention the items that I serviced and mentioned are some of the most common failures on ML's
at about 150,000. The one you are looking at has 190,000 so either they have been done or need to be done.
What are they asking for it?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:08 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2018
Vehicle: 2004 ML500 Inspiration Edition
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Kucyj View Post
Be sure not to rush and try every switch. Make sure all seats function properly. Use anything you can find to help drop the price.
This is excellent advice. I didn't notice the cruise control was broken in mine until after I bought it, hehe whoops. Also get on the ground and check for leaks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:29 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Bring a scanner with you and see if there are any saved codes and see if you can get live feeds s it's running
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1972
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khomer2 View Post
Bring a scanner with you and see if there are any saved codes and see if you can get live feeds s it's running
Good advice.

Another thing to take a look at is OBDII monitors. If they are in READY state all is good in that area.
ed7c9 likes this.

1972 280SEL 4.5
1999 ML320
2000 E320
2003 ML350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in