Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   W163 M-Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/)
-   -   Water leak on drivers floor near trans tunnel (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/3022606-water-leak-drivers-floor-near-trans.html)

ed7c9 04-06-2019 06:15 PM

Water leak on drivers floor near trans tunnel
 
1 Attachment(s)
checked the sunroof drains and all were clear and the water I poured on came right out of the tube. Read elsewhere it could be HVAC but seems like that leak is more proned to the passengers side.

Any ideas? It took a hairdryer to get that section dry it was that wet. Carpet there was damaged already, possibly from previous water. Seemed as tho it originated there and moved across the floor over to the door threshold and then back towards the rear.

Plan is to keep an eye on that section next time it rains obviously but was really hoping it was those sunroof drains

mattml430 04-06-2019 09:05 PM

Your air conditioning drain might be blocked.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khomer2 04-07-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed7c9 (Post 17749046)
checked the sunroof drains and all were clear and the water I poured on came right out of the tube. Read elsewhere it could be HVAC but seems like that leak is more proned to the passengers side.

Any ideas? It took a hairdryer to get that section dry it was that wet. Carpet there was damaged already, possibly from previous water. Seemed as tho it originated there and moved across the floor over to the door threshold and then back towards the rear.

Plan is to keep an eye on that section next time it rains obviously but was really hoping it was those sunroof drains

Im afraid, that dryer isnt going to resolve any water and moisture still trapped on the underside of these thick moulded heavy gauge carpets. Water will definitely be trapped on the underside.
You will need to rake back your driver seat, pull off the footwell kickpanel, carpet fasteners and the door sill and pull back as best as you can the carpeting in that footwell and get yourself some terry towels, etc to get at the trapped water moisture (and use that blower dryer on the underside of the carpet). Telling you from experience.

You may want to check that drain hose itself that runs from the DS sunroof drain dowm along the "A" pillar. That hose connection to the sunroof drain is only a friction fit connection and they do, over time, shrink and pull away from the male sunroof drain connection. Water can still leak out of that part of the connection and run down the "A" pillar cover and down into the footwell. You'll need to pop off this cover (easy to do), folding handle bar along the headliner driverside to get better access to that area to take a peak.

ed7c9 04-08-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khomer2 (Post 17749434)
Im afraid, that dryer isnt going to resolve any water and moisture still trapped on the underside of these thick moulded heavy gauge carpets. Water will definitely be trapped on the underside.
You will need to rake back your driver seat, pull off the footwell kickpanel, carpet fasteners and the door sill and pull back as best as you can the carpeting in that footwell and get yourself some terry towels, etc to get at the trapped water moisture (and use that blower dryer on the underside of the carpet). Telling you from experience.

You may want to check that drain hose itself that runs from the DS sunroof drain dowm along the "A" pillar. That hose connection to the sunroof drain is only a friction fit connection and they do, over time, shrink and pull away from the male sunroof drain connection. Water can still leak out of that part of the connection and run down the "A" pillar cover and down into the footwell. You'll need to pop off this cover (easy to do), folding handle bar along the headliner driverside to get better access to that area to take a peak.

I think you're on to something...well two things. The hairdryer got water out of the first few centimeters of carpet and pad but I pulled it up last night and it was super damp. Hit it with my high-velocity fan for about 12 hours and now nice and dry.

Last night I poured a half cup of water down the drain and viola, a half cup came out. I think you're right tho, that when it sees a lot of water (highway driving in the rain) there is blow-by that seeps into the pass. compartment.

Or

The windshield is leaking water.


I am going to use a hose and try to replicate a heavy downpour and see what I can find. I think waters been leaking in for awhile but it finally got soaked up enough to bleed through to the actual mat.

khomer2 04-08-2019 09:24 AM

You may also wish to check the drainage hole in the cowl (underside of the plastic cowl cover) at the firewall (both sides).
This drainage outlet can also get clogged up and have the water run over the topside and into the dashboard passenger compartment.

Witek_M 04-08-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed7c9 (Post 17750342)

I am going to use a hose and try to replicate a heavy downpour and see what I can find. I think waters been leaking in for awhile but it finally got soaked up enough to bleed through to the actual mat.

You need to remove under dash panel and find 90 deg elbow that sunroof tube connects to. Cowl drain is right above it. If elbow is loose water from cowl drain will leak right next to it.

ed7c9 04-08-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Witek_M (Post 17750388)
You need to remove under dash panel and find 90 deg elbow that sunroof tube connects to. Cowl drain is right above it. If elbow is loose water from cowl drain will leak right next to it.

thanks guys, I will get in there asap for a look see.

ed7c9 04-08-2019 06:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So that elbow was clogged. Makes sense a little water would seep through okay but a lot...not so much. I didn’t want to pull it out from the hole but when I saw the evidence of seepage I had to.

I’ll be doing the passengers side very soon followed by the two rear outlets.

For anyone suspecting this I would take the time to manually unclog the elbow. Compressed air won’t do much of anything unless you’re close to the clog and even so, this crap will just collect at that next exit point.

Thanks again guys

Witek_M 04-08-2019 06:57 PM

That elbow fails it two ways. It gets clogged or looses tension (sealing) and allows water from cowl drain to come in.

ed7c9 04-08-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Witek_M (Post 17750818)
That elbow fails it two ways. It gets clogged or looses tension (sealing) and allows water from cowl drain to come in.

And that was my initial fear and wondering how I could safely caulk that thing in place. When I take care of the others I’ll go back over it with something just for extra protection.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.