Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   W163 M-Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/)
-   -   New Leaking Fuel injector , causes Bent Con Rod!! (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/3021482-new-leaking-fuel-injector-causes-bent.html)

pte 03-26-2019 05:21 AM

New Leaking Fuel injector , causes Bent Con Rod!!

I just did a 160,000 mile engine check up. I removed the OEM fuel injectors sent them out for cleaning. Changed out the Spark plugs They had about 70,000 miles on them. Oil & all filters changed. I looked into getting a spare set of injectors , found that injectors rebuild from GB remanufacturing were priced at the same as the local Injector cleaner service shop ? So I purchased 8 new ones from GB remanufacturing. I installed them Fired up the motor and noticed a cylinder that was not firing . I move the ML outside , grab my Infrared Thermometer& for un #5 exhaust cold.. The others Cylinders exhaust were already Hot. Shut the motor off . too look for a possible loose connection. everything was connected and tight . Went to restart the motor . It made a couple of rotations ,Then made a BAD noise !!? Pulled the Fuel rail with the reman injectors still clipped in the Rail. Cycled the key to just on , but not crank. Found #5 cylinder injector free lowing & leaking very profusely . It hydro-locked the pistonAnd bent the Con rod. Pictures coming soon. I am looking for a used Connecting rod & piston assy. Any Help would be greatly appreciated for this old 2005 ML 500.
Vin 4JGAB75E05A544524. Look like I've got my hands full for the next several weeks. While I'm inside of the motor , are there any small things that should also be replaced , IE oiling system check valve ? THX PTEngineering

art_arev 03-26-2019 10:11 AM

pte are you 100% sure? How do you know the conrod is bent? Have you opened the engine?

pte 03-26-2019 03:37 PM

Compression test on #5 is 75 PSI , all others are 150 PSI. Powder metal rods will bend with the right conditions. It must have pushed a cup of gasoline out the spark plug hole . I worked for a Major marine engine manufacture for 35 years . I heard that awful sound to many a time. Should have some pictures Friday . While I have the motor apart . is there a oil system check valve that should be replace ? _PTEngineering

Noodles 03-28-2019 11:06 AM

When I got the about this incident it left me with a very queasy feeling. Pat knows his engines and to hear what happened was devastating.
We have seen his ML go through extensive upgrades over the years and it is a beast.

mattml430 03-28-2019 12:13 PM

+1 with Rob on that, especially when it is from a faulty part you just purchased as preventative maintenance. A bent rod can do so much damage to an engine so I hope itís not to bad for you Pat. [emoji22][emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noodles 03-29-2019 07:04 AM

I hope it is going to be back on the road. This is an ML that scared the hell out of a McLaren on sunny Florida day.

cmitch 03-31-2019 06:42 AM

I bought a set of injectors several years back and one leaked as described and hydrolocked my engine. Fortunately, it did not bend a rod. Whew! But it pisses me off products are put out that can damage your engine. I pulled my fuel rail and turned key in first position to charge fuel pressure and it just dripped out of one. I guess I got lucky. But this taught me a lesson that if I ever do another injector job, I will look for leaking injectors before I reinsert rail.

ed7c9 04-01-2019 04:56 AM

Damn sorry to hear about that. Hopefully the cylinder lining/journals are okay and you can just get away with the rod and piston.

This guy's channel is pretty good. I was super impressed with all the work he did on that K motor (and honestly how clean he got it!) His series might be worth a watch

pte 04-15-2019 05:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the delay in what is the final fix for my Motor. I did remove the Drivers side Cylinder head . After I did a Leak down test on #5 cylinder ( 25% ) In the process I tore my left Knee ACL. . I was kinda please in what I found or didn't find. The piston came right to the top of the cylinder bore.., Whoo - eee. The liquid gas puddled in the cylinder bore on top of the piston , loosened & lifted all the baked on Carbon deposits on the piston dish & cylinder head combustion chamber. Some of those particles got lodged between the intake valves & the seat ,areas. Creating the large leak down. So I pulled the head apart & hot washed it . Hand lapped the valves and reassembled it. Finally I got it all reassembled and the motor sounds & runs great. Please note , at 155,000 miles the motors cylinder bores looked perfect and the internal parts of the valve train were extremely clean. The remanufacture injectors were returned, & the rebuilder of them , reimburse me for the gaskets & small parts used in the repair. I ate the labor & oil change ( It was close to its due date /milage anyway ) Cheers PTEngineering Patrick

mattml430 04-15-2019 12:57 PM

Thatís such good news Pat that itís ok after everything youíve done to it. Sorry to hear about your knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk