Detailer broke the center console cupholder cover on my ML500. Options for fixing? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Detailer broke the center console cupholder cover on my ML500. Options for fixing?

https://imgur.com/a/Iv32Cow

That little piece right there broke off somehow. I can't even get underneath with my fingers to pull out the cover. Is this even replaceable? If so, how much do you think it would cost if I just took it to the dealer? I'm in NY Long Island. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 01:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Mercedes-Benz Teilekatalog (Ersatzteile online)

Part#162 - prt # A1636802817
(can be verified with your vin#, if you can post it here)

It's a pretty straight forward DIY to replace it.
Im pretty sure one of the members here has a post on dismantling the center console - do a search on the forum.

You can look for a used one or brand new is $$$, if it's still available at the stealership (they would probably order it in for you)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 01:41 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: '00 E55 AMG - '80 300SD - '83 240D
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khomer2 View Post
Mercedes-Benz Teilekatalog (Ersatzteile online)

Part#162 - prt # A1636802817
(can be verified with your vin#, if you can post it here)
Mercedes says this part in no longer available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 01:50 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2015 ML250 BluTec, 2002 ML 500 Sport Edition (Sold :(), 2012 C250
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Damn. None on eBay either. To the junk yard you go. It's not that noticeable though, right? I always drove with mine in the retracted position anyways.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 02:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
I hope your detailer is covering the cost of this.....(Give us the company name of your detailer....to remind us to avoid him in future....)

It looks to be repairable. After looking at ours, I dont believe the larger portion would have to be removed from the center console. If I recall, the cover is like the old bread box type covers or the old roll top desk covers.
You can couple or bond the 2 pieces back together on the backside (down the middle along the joint) with some good quality adhesive tape (the super sticky black duct tape). It wont affect the way it tracks the cover runs along the edges,
It also looks like the edges slide along the tracks on both sides. You would need to "angle the smaller piece" to get it to fit back into the tracks on both sides (if you know what mean..) it might be snug but it should work. Then once it's back in place, use the sticky duct tape on the backside along the joint. It should work.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 03:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2017
Vehicle: 1999 ML430; 1998 S420
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
There were a couple of part numbers for that...do a search on eBay for 1636802717. There are two listed but only one looks like it's in good condition. $65 is a bit high for used...I usually sell them for $45 but I don't have any currently. The item number is 323167743515...only one photo though, and he says he has two available, which is odd, as you want to see photos of the actual one you are buying. I think I'd wait for another one to get listed, as there are variations in quality on these things, unless he can provide photos of the front and back.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2018
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khomer2 View Post
I hope your detailer is covering the cost of this.....(Give us the company name of your detailer....to remind us to avoid him in future....)

It looks to be repairable. After looking at ours, I dont believe the larger portion would have to be removed from the center console. If I recall, the cover is like the old bread box type covers or the old roll top desk covers.
You can couple or bond the 2 pieces back together on the backside (down the middle along the joint) with some good quality adhesive tape (the super sticky black duct tape). It wont affect the way it tracks the cover runs along the edges,
It also looks like the edges slide along the tracks on both sides. You would need to "angle the smaller piece" to get it to fit back into the tracks on both sides (if you know what mean..) it might be snug but it should work. Then once it's back in place, use the sticky duct tape on the backside along the joint. It should work.
I don't think he even has a company. The guy was mexican (probably undocumented). My dad surprised me and got the car detailed without telling me for $150. I wanted to take it to Larry from AMMONYC but he was booked and recommended Turn7autocare who would have done it for $350. I don't think the guy even buffed it polished it because it still has a ton of swirl marks (from the previous owner). My dad is someone who owns a Porsche and takes it to the automatic car wash and doesn't have a clue about autodetailing no matter how much I try to educate him. But what can you do, he was just trying to be nice.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320 06 ML500
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1545 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:58 AM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1694 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
My C240 had a similar style cover that broke. Honestly, I would not blame the detailer. Automobiles are a harsh environment and the fabrics and glues used on those roller covers won't last forever. i was able to fix mine with some additional fabric and contact cement.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in