Our ML500 Exhaust project: Upgraded Muffler / 2nd Cat delete = Exotic V-8 Rumble - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Darkmann:

Ok that makes sense.

Btw, my upgrade muffler replaced oem muffler sits in same location. And that chamber behind it is the oem resonator.

(which should likely be retained unless you're upgrading muffler to a 'mild turbo muffler')

I think ML320's have same layout but not sure.

On 2nd Cat delete, I don't know how much detailed layout diagrams emission inspection shops have access to.

IE do they KNOW for example, that certain year ML's had 4 Cats, not 2?

Or do they guess from looking at obvious evidence (bad welds, poor bends) that 2nd Cats have been deleted ?

Thank God, I can't say firsthand as I've been gone from So Cal for a decade now.

I'm sure if you ask politely locally you could find out how hard they enforce it.

Around here, its a "hidden Truth" that Rural "State Inspection" garages are less stringent than big city ones, and I bet thats true everywhere. Hint, hint, lol...

Cheers - David in East Texas

Gone, and fondly remembered:

1975 240D - 4 speed manual, power nothing
1984 190E 2.3 - Cute, reliable & slow
1983 300SD - Great highway tourer, 28mpg

Here & greatly appreciated:

2000 E 320 Wagon -
2002 ML 500 - Finally got one !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Vehicle: 01 ML430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Please tell me that is fake news! I I I I...um WTF? Not only is it ugly and terrible and bad and ugly... it's not safe at all to run that exhaust like that.

This was a great read and I hope you were able to follow his example because someone should never have touched that car and should never touch anything else...EVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed7c9 View Post
Thanks David, great info! Sorry on the delay in photos but I have an update!

I used some QuikSteel from Autozone to patch up what I circled in red in that one photo just to stop the huge leak. Sounds/drives much better but still leaks. Please note I bought the car like this non-running! I don't think I would ever treat a car like this, esp a MB and an AMG at that!

Whoever did this basically permatex'd the crap out of it. The cats are two years old or so and it has randomly added pipes amidships (says 2.000" AL on the side. Aluminium?) fused with the OEM ones then joining with that terrible seam you see. Sound isn't great, when I have this all removed/fixed I want to add the muffler you did and get that Mustang V8 rumble.

I don't know how much of this I can save or if I should get new cats and steel and a muffler. Rear muffler is okay (save for the damn host clamps). Sounds solid and doesn't show any damage from rust or idiot previous owners.

Feedback would be great! I have some more work to do on it to get it road legal before I send it to my neighbor/welder/mechanic's place but I want to get some MB owners input first on how to get this looking and sounding good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in