post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: 2001 ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tail light upgrade options

Ok, so I'm noticing ML's (at least early ones) have rather weak tail lights- as in not very bright. Is there a plug and play bulb that is a couple watts bigger?

I've been eyeing LED tail lights on eBay, but I'm thinking most are made in China with questionable quality....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 03:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: ML55 AMG 2003 RHD, ML55 AMG 2002 RHD
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via Skype™ to art_arev
Check ebay for LED bulbs. You don't need to change the tail lights.

Art
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 03:53 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensk74 View Post
Ok, so I'm noticing ML's (at least early ones) have rather weak tail lights- as in not very bright. Is there a plug and play bulb that is a couple watts bigger?

I've been eyeing LED tail lights on eBay, but I'm thinking most are made in China with questionable quality....

I've actually replaced ALL tail lights including brake lights to LED from EBay. Then replaced back to regular bulbs, found they're major safety hazzard. For some reason, the LED lights are NOT as bright as regular they replaced. Even most LED bulbs that says "xx W equivalent" are not as bright. If you want to buy them, I'll give you sat half the price I paid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 06:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1999 ML430
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1016 View Post
I've actually replaced ALL tail lights including brake lights to LED from EBay. Then replaced back to regular bulbs, found they're major safety hazzard. For some reason, the LED lights are NOT as bright as regular they replaced. Even most LED bulbs that says "xx W equivalent" are not as bright. If you want to buy them, I'll give you sat half the price I paid.
sparky..gonna have to disagree with you on that one. I have replaced rear running lights, brake lights, reverse lights and license plate lights with all LED and I have been extremely happy with them. Did that about two years ago and no issues whatsoever. None have needed replacement and I like the fact that they burn so much cooler than incandescent bulbs. Most have heat sinks built into the bulb.

They were manufactured in China but quality varies greatly from one vendor to another.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:40 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Well, glad you're satisfied with your replacement LED bulbs, I think some more expensive LED bulbs perform better than cheaper Chinese made ones, I guess I got what I paid for. Many Chinese made goods are not as bad as what they used be, but they still have to earn consumers' trust.

I also replaced almost all the incandescent light bulbs in my house with the same(supposedly) or equivalent LED bulbs. Every one of them looks or feels not as bright as the incandescent bulbs they replaced. Most LED bulbs I replaced with are made in USA not China.

Some smaller LED bulbs which replaced halogen bulbs are only available in Chinese made, they're a bit more so, less bright.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Hmm, I never thought of using LED bulbs. The ones I was looking at replaced the entire taillight assembly, something like this:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/98-2005-MERCE...IAAMXQcVNQ5BN8

But if even just a little brighter, I'd try LED or incandescent bulbs. The biggest hangup I've run into researching is the drivers side having dual filaments. If it was a single, then it'd be a simple higher wattage bulb replacement.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 06:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1999 ML430
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
NEVER, EVER seen those before !! That's a pretty good price for both units, if they are worth a crap ! I would be worried about moisture getting into those housing, the way they separate.

There are so many OEM W163 parts on eBay and in the junkyards. I buy quite a few ML bits and pieces off eBay, but I would feel uneasy about buying those redesigned knockoffs from China. Looks like you would need to modify the wiring harness also.....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2017
Vehicle: 1999 ML430; 1998 S420
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I replaced all of my rear lights with lights from CARID. They are all definitely bright enough, and WAY brighter than standard bulbs. These are not even the most expensive ones available; the brighter you want, the higher you pay. These are all direct plug ins, with no extra wiring or anything (they have something built in to make sure that your car doesn't think a bulb is burned out, since they draw less power than stock ones). None have burned out yet and have had no issues in roughly six months. It makes the ML look more modern at night, IMHO. Oh, by the way, definitely replace that little tiny bulb on the bottom of the taillights (they are side running lights...both mine were burned out and now the LED ones look awesome). I see you have a 2001, so you have the updated taillights, but for those reading this with 98 and 99 MLs, you can get the updated taillights used cheap off eBay (OEM) and I think the more rounded lights look better...but most people would not notice it.

LUMEN® NB7507CA - NB Series Replacement LED Bulb (7507, Amber) PlaZma Series Replacement LED Bulb (1156, Red)
LUMEN® 194CW - Standard Series Replacement Long LED Bulb (194 / T10, White)
LUMEN® PL1156CR - PlaZma Series Replacement LED Bulb (1156, Red)
LUMEN® PL1157CR - PlaZma Series Replacement LED Bulb (1157, Red)
LUMEN® PL1156CW - PlaZma Series Replacement LED Bulb (1156, White)
LUMEN® NB150CW - NB Series Replacement LED Bulb (1.50", White) (License plate bulbs)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by demichae View Post
Oh, by the way, definitely replace that little tiny bulb on the bottom of the taillights (they are side running lights...both mine were burned out and now the LED ones look awesome).
Haha! Both sides on mine have been out since I bought it. I didn't even know they were there till you pointed them out! Lol
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
And thanks for the heads up on the CARID bulbs, I'll def have to check them out. It'd beat buying while new assembly's, of questionable quality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in