Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Is an oil cooler missing from engine bay?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DrX 
#1 ·
I was browsing around the sites the other day, and I took notice of the fact that the W163 series have an oil cooler next to the oil filter housing. Is this true for all models and all years?

I have a 2002 ML320, and today I opened the hood and noticed something that was odd to me. There is just an empty spot next to the oil filter housing, with nothing at all.

Am I going crazy or is there actually something supposed to be there? Here are some pics to clarify.

On the third close-up pic, it looks to me like there had been a piece of engine there before, and someone broke it off. The jagged edges of the metal just doesn't look right.

What are your opinions on this?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
So the models for certain years had it, and other years don't?

So everything is normal, right? To add to it, I don't see any holes, connectors, or hoses that look like they need to be connected to something around this area. I guess I'll rest my worries for now.

Thanks.

#8 ·
Another case of thread deja vu.
My 2002 ML320 does not appear to have a cooler ... See pics--there's nothing to the right (passenger's side direction) of the oil filter housing
--> http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1725690-oil-filter-housing-do-i-have-2.html#post5908010

MY98 and early '99 had them. Then they were discontinued in US models except in V8s. However, MLs destined for other markets often had the oil cooler fitted up to MY2002 at least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.