Jiggles, rattles, and dash creeks, oh my... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 06:37 AM
Dave L.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Jiggles, rattles, and dash creeks, oh my...

There are easy fixes for the jiggles and rattles, I only heard the dash creek a couple of times, each time the temperature was below freezing. I think it has to do with some of the dash materials becoming stiff/hard from the cold temps. As far as jiggles/rattles they were all in the rear, the knobs to fold the rear seat-backs, the panels behind the seat, and the doors for the cd changer, and first aid kit, and the door for the fuses (right front footwell). What I did was to buy adhesive felt dots, and and a felt sheet that I could cut. That fixed all the jiggles and rattles, and you can't see the felt anywhere. Now with the radio off the cabin is tight and quiet!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 09:07 AM
Drew

Great tips!...

I've never thought of the adhesive felt dots before. I haven't had many squeaks or rattles. The main two that I've had came from the passenger's side corner of the dashboard where it meets the windshield, and the glovebox lid. They finally managed to quieten down the passenger side corner and it has been just perfect so far (knock on wood). As for the glovebox, a new lid is on its way from Toronto.<br> <br> I've never heard a rattle from the 3rd row footwell plates behind the 2nd row, probably because I have the cargo tray sitting on top of it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 11:24 AM
Dave L.

Re: Great tips!...

Yep, I have the cargo tray too which keeps the footwell covers from flapping up and down. But what I was referring to was the 'T' shaped piece that locks the footwell cover into place, it is metal and so is the piece it fits into which causes a rattling sound over hard bumps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 11:49 AM
Drew

That's an interesting thought. I have never suspected the T-connectors to be noise makers. My ML's rear is pretty quiet (heck I think that the things that I carry in the nets make more noise, LOL), but I'll definitely look into that if I hear any erronous noises. Thanks!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 11:03 AM
PaulZ

Interesting...I have a noise that I cannot locate in my right rear cargo area

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 10:38 PM
JonathanML320

Dave, my dash makes a noise at the passenger a pillar and windshield as well, what did your dealer do to remedy this problem because mine acts as if they cant hear it or would only make it worse if they began to look for it. Lame excuse. Also can you explain where you put the felt exactly, I bought some felt to try to fix my 'wayback' problems but cant seem to find where the noises are coming from, and do your rear headrests rattle as well? Thanks Jonathan<br> [email protected]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2002, 07:38 PM
Drew

Jonathan...

What model year is your ML320? The problem is very difficult to isolate and there are several possibilities. The best thing to do is to actually do a road test and to point it out right there and then to your technician. Feel free to ask if you need more specifics. I can type out what was written on my work order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in