Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: Kleemann Headers , PTE Cams , 05 ML-500 SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Rear suspension coil over Install

1 year after installing new Bilsteins BE- 2985 mated to H & R progressive rate lowering springs ( 29497 HA ) I couldn't find the ride height to suit me. And match the front ride height with the right body Rake for good appearance . So I thought I would follow sgtpepperaut lead in this mod. He was very helpful with what he purchased and the how's & Why's he did not keep them on his ML.
The ride of my set up was not too stiff or bouncy soft. Handled well , even over large / long speed bumps at 25 mph. I originally wanted to lower the ml about 1.5" , but it came out over 2". I built some 1" steel spacers to put under the lower spring seats that came with the Bilsteins . It increased the lift about .75" , but collapse the soft part the progressive H&R spring more that I cared for. I know ? what & why am I doing this anyway? Well, my girlfriend is 98lbs small frame with bad arthritis. She can not climb up into the ML at is stock ride height. Then there is the great safety factors of the ML. Full Box frame , very good handling. A well engineered truck

So I ordered from Summit Racing , 2 Allstar performance Adjustable sleeve kits P/N 64143. They fit over the 2" Bilstein shocks . and are counter bore to rest on a cir-clip fitted to the lower part of the shock tube. I preassemble & Measure to find the correct spring length for this application. In the process , I noticed that there was more adjustment screw thread to raise beyond needed suspension travel. So I counter bore another .500" inside the sleeve kit , to give the ability to lower more that the current setup. Now the sleeve is more centrally located. Next , I borrowed a set of race Scales. and set about weighing the 4 corners of the ML. I made sure I had at least 1/2 tank of Gas during this . I found the ML pretty well balanced Please see the Picture. Much better than most small trucks. You can see where the battery adds to the front right side LBS and the gas tank adds to the Left rear LBS.

So I go to the HYPERCO web site & plug in the numbers , said I need to use the 12" long 500lbs springs ?? Now Sgtpepperaut suggested I go to a 650Lbs spring, he felt the 800 Lbs spring was too taunt and added up to a very stiff ride. So I call Mark At Hyperco He plugs in the numbers and asked about the un-sprung weight of the suspension added together . So off I go , back to the ML and start weighing parts. The wheel & tire is 73 Lbs !! by itself . Now Mark redoes , the numbers & comes up with a 800 lbs spring. 12" long. and this is what Sgtpepperaut had used to start with . So I select a 750 LBS spring for both sides. Hoping to fall some where in-between. I think I've selected the right spring , What may have contributed to a Harsh ride was the shock Valving
Bilstein performance shocks!! calibrated for a ML-55 AMG. I now have the ML back together The shocks already had 20,000+ miles so they have softened up in my opinion. The right is not stiff . and is more supple that my friends w-164 / 2008 320 CDI ML with normal factory coil overs . Again Many Thanks to Sgtpepperaut for his help.

Cheers _PTEngineering
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	706225   Click image for larger version

Name:	018 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1388
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	706233   Click image for larger version

Name:	019 (Medium).JPG
Views:	437
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	706241   Click image for larger version

Name:	020 (Medium).JPG
Views:	396
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	706249   Click image for larger version

Name:	021 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1962
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	706257  

Name:	022 (Medium).JPG
Views:	431
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	706265   Click image for larger version

Name:	023 (Medium).JPG
Views:	857
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	706273  
Noodles, sgtpepperaut and Mars478 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 02:31 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: '98 ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
looks really great! get some pics of the car itself too.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:18 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If all this was to help your gal get into the car, why not go with air bags? You could drop it all the way for her. I'm not at all sure how you would do it, but where there is a will there is a way.

The factory running board (bar thingy) makes it easy to get in and out. I personally do not like it, though as it hits the back of my leg with dirty slush as I exit the vehicle. Thinking of removing mine.

1999 ML320

the oxidizer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
pte
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Rear suspension coil over Install

I had removed the factory installed running boards. Besides being damaged from repair garages not watching how the hoist bars being set properly and cracking the plastic covers. They where very large and stupid looking on a lowered ML. And as you said , they are difficult to get over them with out dragging the backs of your legs. The ideal is to just back into the seat, place your butt and swing your legs into the foot well . Even small things like getting into & out of bed needs some thought on correct Height . As for Air ride. I had them on 3 Chevy Astro vans. & my E-55 amg . They were a lot of maintenance & repairs to the struts & Compressors . I won't go there again.

If anybody want to do this Coil over to there ML. I would be glad to bore there Allstar sleeves and have some Delrin seats installed at no Charge , just cover the shipping .

I have done several DIYs , one was for the removal of the running boards & installing factory rocker panels. Later next month
(January 2014 ) I plan to ran the ML on a Chassis dyno & find tune the already install ECU (chip)
Cheers _PTEngineering
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 10:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 02 ML 55 (SOLD: 98 & 02 ML320)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
hah im just reading this!
glad it worked out for you. now that i am back at stock i miss the adjustability of the ride height especially when towing my trailer.

i might have to go back to this set up...but with softer springs.

O tempora, o mores
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 10:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

check this out:

Spring Rate Calculator Ridetech News and Information

withy the data you show it suggests a 525 lb /in spring rate fr performance driving. hm maybe i entered something incorrectly

O tempora, o mores

Last edited by sgtpepperaut; 04-02-2014 at 10:58 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
pte
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
spring selection

In working with Mark At Hypercoil , I think the value that changed the spring coil rate was the un-sprung weight , in which I had all of it removed . Even the half shaft , upper & lower control arm , brake rotor, brake caliper, toe in control arms , Cast steel yoke with wheel bearings, anti sway bar & links. Tires , wheels lug bolts. You name it , I weigh it. LOL. Mark came up with 800 lb coil spring. Then we went over your comments about the ride being a-bit harsh. That's when the shock valveing came into play . So I went with the 750 lb spring hoping to get some where in-between.
Cheers _PTEngineering
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
pte
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Rear suspension coil over Install UPDATE

I visit just about everyday and I truly enjoy all the info place here by the Forum Members. With that being said I thought I would do a small update.
The upper spring cone in picture #4 . I had 1st built a plastic insert / bushing to keep the Metal on Metal contact and harshness minimized . I pounded out in about 2000 miles. Loose shock Rattle !! Then I tried a multi layered piece of Rubber with 3 layers of woven Canvas. It too pounded out in 2000 miles. Loose shock rattle again. Plastic guide / bushing & Rubber canvas wiped out.
[email protected]##$P . I do driving on some washboard dirt roads , Which are quite rough at most times. I also noticed that when I jack up the ML the suspension doesn't give or collapse much ? You know what . I may have 2 self induced Issues. #1 Too Much spring rate !? (750 lbs) I had 2 of the larger guys from the shop set in the back hatch & rear bumper area (585 lbs ) The ML only went down 1 INCH !! and #2 trying to use the upper spring cup that came with the Allstar kit . So I ordered new Hyercoil 650 LBS. and do way with the centering cone . I had some extra Delrin .075 washers from some flat stock cut outs. So I put a flat area on the edge and let the new spring rest on them and still had the coil spring captured in the upper shock & spring mount plate. It all worked out and I am at the 7500 mile mark , With no rattles !!! good control on wash board dirt roads. The ride is not too soft. The anti Sway bars now can do their job. Many Thanks to sgtpepperaut. Cheers _PTEngineering
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002 (Medium).JPG
Views:	315
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1125289   Click image for larger version

Name:	003 (Medium).JPG
Views:	427
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1125297   Click image for larger version

Name:	004 (Medium).JPG
Views:	305
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1125305   Click image for larger version

Name:	005 (Medium).JPG
Views:	383
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1125313  

Last edited by pte; 09-15-2014 at 07:25 AM. Reason: More Pics
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 08:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pte View Post
Too Much spring rate !? (750 lbs) I had 2 of the larger guys from the shop set in the back hatch & rear bumper area (585 lbs ) The ML only went down 1 INCH !!
imagine how i felt with the 800lb/in springs
it was very sporty in stiff.. some people like that but it would not be my first choice as a daily driver...

O tempora, o mores
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 06:43 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2015
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wonder if Ridetech has just what I need? They have so many options. I am just not sure how to select a shock that will bolt up. I am considering buying a junk stock shock/spring off ebay to send to ridetech for their input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in