Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Oil filter housing -- do I have the seals?

9K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  NorCal_ML320 
#1 ·
I'm still (as weekend time permits--sigh!) hunting a loss of oil. Have the many other suggestions, but at this point I'm trying to understand the oil filter/oil cooler seals and I've read enough posts to completely confuse myself. My 2002 ML320 does not appear to have a cooler like is show in Detane's DIY or the .pdfs. See pics--there's nothing to the right (passenger's side direction) of the oil filter housing--the upper coolant hose dives into the engine block there. I've also seen references that say the cooler was dropped after engine #30-0331040; if I believe the Russian VIN decoder site my engine is 112942 31 053011. So I don't think I have the cooler. Correct?

But what was done instead? Do I still have seals somewhere where the housing attaches to the block or front cover? It seems like a one-piece casting, but there might be something going on in the back that I'm not spotting.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
As 43sqd pointed out, no cooler. Drain the oil, take the filter out and you will see a nut at the bottom of the filter housing. You will need a thin walled 46mm socket. One gasket to replace after its removed between the oil filter housing and the block. Not sure of part number right now but only purchase from the dealer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
As 43sqd pointed out, no cooler. Drain the oil, take the filter out and you will see a nut at the bottom of the filter housing. I believe it's 43mm but not sure. One gasket to replace after its removed between the oil filter housing and the block. Not sure of part number right now but only purchase from the dealer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It's a thin walled 46mm socket. Edit your post.

#10 ·
OK, I hate to go against the wisdom of this board, but I think there's no cooler and also no oil housing seal on the bottom. I don't see a nut (picture) nor any split in the casting. It certainly doesn't look like bula's diagram above.

For future reference, this is an early build (bought in Sept 2001) 2002 ML320. Many catalogs, including the Mercedes one (used by dealer sites and parts.com) show a cooler, side seals, and a bottom seal for 2002 and V6 engine in both the listings and the diagram. One or two put the caveat about engine number on it (which I doubt is even relevant in 2002); the dealer catalog does not.

At least it's not the source of my leak.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
#15 ·
I think this only aplies to the USA. My engine number is 30 465424 and looking at ebay you get the same result. Even upto a 2002 320. Like i have said i don't think i have seen a 320 in the UK without an oil cooler.

Mercedes ML 320 Tall Engine Öoooooooó | eBay

MERCEDES ML320 3.2 ENGINE 112.942 VIDEO ATTACHED | eBay

MERCEDES ML320 ENGINE PETROL 82000 MILES 2002 | eBay

Mercedes ML320 3.2v6 engine and breaking 66000 miles only | eBay
That is why U.S. and Euro. models should never be compared.

#16 · (Edited)
The epc you get 43 in the usa is different from the pc based most use in the EU. Mine tells me if its not for my build model and does frequently say USA ONLY. My vehicle started life with an american vin as found on a sticker behind one of the rear panels and was converted to wdc163154 as an export. If i gave you my usa vin your system would probably have all the info.

#19 ·
Agree--try to locate it if you can. In my case I had a gradual loss, but could absolutely not see any sign of it at the little timing chain cover plate. I was suspicious it was in the front, but that may have been residual from the valve cover leak. I've replaced the gasket at the intake pipe in the rear of the engine; currently monitoring the level to see if that did the job.

#20 ·
Thanks! The oil leak was coming from the area of the oil filter housing seal or timing chain cover plate. I changed the timing chain cover plate and seal. The leak seems to be gone. I had already purchase the seals for both repairs but when I realized that my oil filter housing was not removeable, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.