post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 2000 ML55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Parking Brake Doesn't Hold

Actually, it does now but I wanted to post pictures of how I fixed it. It was clicking but not holding. I searched this forum & found factory diagrams of the parking brake assembly but I still couldn't tell what was supposed to make it hold so I took it out to see.

First, remove the plastic panel above the pedals. Remove the two 13mm bolts holding the pedal assembly. One is hidden inside the large round bore in the pivot. Unplug the switch. Use screwdrivers & pliers to remove the cables. Work carefully so you don't break the plastic cable ends.

You know that clicking sound it makes? It's just a noisemaker and does nothing to hold the pedal in position. Here's a picture of it. Mine is held in place by a dab of silicone because the tip of the plastic clip broke off:

So what holds the parking brake? A clutch in the form of a slinky-like spring wrapped around a drum:

In this pic you can see both ends of the clutch spring. On the left it is clamped down to hold the tension around the drum. On the right it contacts a lifter arm that releases the tension and the clutch's grip on the drum to let the cable pull the pedal back into position (parking brake off):

Here's the end the spring before re-tensioning:

To re-tension the spring, move the pedal to the fully depressed position, loosen these two T-40 torx bolts, pry the spring down to snug the spring around the drum & tighten the two bolts. A bench vise is helpful:

Here's the end of the spring after re-tensioning:

Before installing the pedal assembly, get under the car & turn the eccentric in the attached .pdf instructions fully counter-clockwise. This resets the automatic cable adjuster. It's in the tunnel, above the front of the driveshaft. You get one chance to pull the cable & attach it to the pedal because releasing the cable turns the eccentric to take up the slack. If you are unsuccessful attaching the cable to pedal, get under the car again & reset the eccentric.

I hope this information is useful. This forum has helped me a lot, so I wanted to give something back.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MClassParkingBrakeAdjust.pdf (1.29 MB, 311 views)

Jeff
~ 2000 ML55 AMG Bordeaux Red/Charcoal
~ 2006 Porsche Cayman S
~ 1973 V8 Vega (where it all began)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Purple Moderator

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I found that out the hard way and ignored the step about the pre-load.
Had to do it again the right way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in