3 Serpentine Belts shredded in 5 days! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML 320 (dearly departed), 03 E 500, 05 FX35 (Sold), 07 Cayenne S (Sold), 06 Cayenne Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to gsj224 Send a message via Yahoo to gsj224
(Thread Starter)
3 Serpentine Belts shredded in 5 days!

We are getting some trees cut at our house and I needed to move the ML. As I pulled into a spot, I noticed the battery light came on so i popped the hood and saw what was left of the serpentine belt. I yanked it out and could not believe it (NEVER saw anything like this before.) I drag ass out to Dealership and buy a new belt. I get the belt and pop it on, all is well. I decided to drive it to a meeting the next day and amazingly, ML feels like new.....until I get back and start to pull into the spot I left from, the wheel got heavy and the temp shot up FAST. I got into the spot and popped the hood, same thing shredded belt. Again to the Dealership, read some posts on here about similar problems check all pulleys and all seems well nothing seemed to hang when I spun them manually. I get the belt on and leave it for two days.

Yesterday I went to bring the ML back to my house and all seemed well I watched the belt spin for about 5 minutes with no apparent delays or freezing by any of the pulleys. I pull into the front of my house and battery, temp, and no power steering....I could not believe it third belt GONE worst than the past two.

How do I diagnose what is causing this without throwing parts at it. I have about 135k (11/1999 build date) on the clock and I hardly look at this truck these days let alone drive it. From my service records and the previous owners it looks like the only thing replaced in the pulley route was the Balancer. I saw there is a new tensioner part number to replace the old could that be it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Eat, Sleep, and Drive a 163....That's life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 2002 BMW M3 Coupe, 2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Serpentine belts do not fail like that for no reason. One of the pulleys is either damaged or has a worn out bearing. Remove the belt and check all of the pulleys for damage or play or rough rotation. It's inevitable that the belt will keep failing unless you fix the problem.

2002 BMW M3 Coupe (mine)
1997 BMW 328is (sold)
2002 MB ML320 (hers)
2004 VW GTI (son)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML 320 (dearly departed), 03 E 500, 05 FX35 (Sold), 07 Cayenne S (Sold), 06 Cayenne Turbo
Send a message via AIM to gsj224 Send a message via Yahoo to gsj224
(Thread Starter)
SOLVED

I found the problem, I noticed the Idler Pulley had broken in half. When looking at it, it was a clean break so it looked fine since I do not know what they were supposed to look like in the first place. After looking at it with the 4th belt on I noticed the belt was hanging off the idler which was definately what was shredding the belt in half.

For now all seems well and I used a part from Autozone (dealership is closed on Sunday.) Tomorrow I will check it again and go get an OEM part from MERC. I swear this truck is a money pit and I do not drive it. Its valued too low to sell it and I really cant give it away because I am scared I will kill someone if it were to break down on them.

Eat, Sleep, and Drive a 163....That's life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
A good thing to do when ever a serpentine belt breaks or comes off it to check every pulley, spin them move them side to side to see if there is any movement feel for bad bearings. Also always check the alignment of the tensioner...

True success is being the master of your own time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 02:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1999 ML320 (SOLD), 2011 BMW X5
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsj224 View Post
I swear this truck is a money pit and I do not drive it. Its valued too low to sell it and I really cant give it away because I am scared I will kill someone if it were to break down on them.
Amen, bro. I feel your pain. I do like this thing but wonder if the automotive gods put it on this earth to test the limits of mechanical upkeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in