Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

w163 Instrument Cluster question

9K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  amgdvl 
#1 ·
Anywhere I can look up the difference between models/years? And can you upgrade the Instrument Cluster to a newer one? just curious!!! :D

#5 ·
You could buy white gauges online and install them. I am currently searching for said DIY...

#8 ·
I would be willing to sell you a picture of me....put that on your gauge...very sexy lol

#10 · (Edited)
Has anyone installed the W211 instrument cluster W163 ML model?

I would be interested to upgrade W163, W211 instrument cluster and steering wheel model.
Cable Connector seems to be the same. but the steering wheel switches, cables should be routed, but where?
ECU?

Star tester is used so the encodings work, but if for example, can-bus compatible?

Here in Finland, is placed in the newer multi-function display instrument cluster for example W202 model.

Sorry for my bad english. Google Translate ...

EDIT:

My mistake, Cable Connector there 's no the identical.

would have to re-connect the whole instrument panel.

#12 · (Edited)
I do not believe that I have ever heard of a stock w163 coming with a multifunction display.

Besides, the w211 cluster isn't anywhere the same shape or probably even attachment method as the w163. Besides, how would you interface with the center display which would require the COMMAND system and steering wheel from the w211?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#13 ·
Hi, Brabus has already done their own customised instrument, which they used w210 display, w202 multi function steering wheel plus connecting them to comand. I have photo somewhere and will upload shortly. I even spoke with Brabus themselves directly and they confirmed they had done for w163 but they stopped doing it any more, I tried to ask how they fitted it but they refused to tell. I will upload the picture in the morning. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

#14 ·
Hi again, see the picture, it was done by Brabus.

Any idea how we can hook them up? By using the CAN_BUS steering wheel to command wiring loom, to connect to the steering wheel and comand, it shouldn't be a problem, but the cluster display is the main thing, it has two connectors at the back, whereas w163 has only one. how can we mod them up and make it work?

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
Yes. That's my point.
Put a multi-function instrument cluster and steering wheel in W163

But I need to know where the steering wheel and instrument cluster wiring is connected.
An engine control unit? (ECU)
Wiring pin assignment should be to find out.
Maybe WIS?

It also need to figure out how that can be attached to W210 instrument cluster in W163

W163 instrument cluster is attached with screws.
W210 instrument cluster is attached at only pressing.

Again google translator... :)

EDIT: My ML is diesel, 270cdi -03
may have different wiring the instrument cluster as gasoline engines.

#18 ·
I think the main wiring is CANBUS which connect to comand and steering wheel. What about the wiring for cluster,"? Do we need star diagnostic to configure cluster with new part number and fuel tank, speed, etc? Any comment, anyone ?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

#24 ·
Not possible. You can swap the wheel, but you'll have buttons that do nothing.

Unless you swap out the MCS for one with SWC wiring, and somehow splice the two systems that shouldn't work together and somehow get it to.

Not worth the hassle for something that probably isn't going to ever work. Get into a w164 or w166

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

#33 ·
I have found that these cars were just built better than most anything newer.

I have a Maserati Quattroporte that required an engine rebuild and that car provides thrill unimaginable everywhere you go.

So now I chase that feeling in every car I’ve owned even my Suburban which I’ve built from the ground up Combining Escalade and Denali parts.

Introduced to the W163, this car is simply amazing to drive too. 4x4, and I can haul a trailer.

#38 ·
If your goal is factory-style steering wheel buttons for controlling a radio, I think that is do-able. I would get a steering wheel, clock spring, and steering column module from a donor vehicle. I'd definitely get a copy of WIS so you'll have all the wiring diagrams. Assuming you can physically get the steering wheel installed, you'll need to connect the wiring from the buttons (which feed through the clock spring) to the steering column module, and get power to it. There are other connections (turn signals, cruse control stalk, etc.) on that control module that you can ignore, but you will want the CAN bus output from it to wire directly to an interface module (such as SWI-PAC) for your radio. Be mindful of the model year of our donor - there are CAN bus protocol differences between pre-MY2005 and MY2005+ cars, so the radio control interface will need to be for the proper model year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.