Love and Hate for ML500. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 06:09 AM
MikeH

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Love and Hate for ML500.

<br>
It's been love and hate trip to Chicago to pick up my new ML500 (I live in suburb. of Detroit).<br>
<br>
Here's the love part:<br>
I picked up my car on Saturday after the painful waiting of more than 2 months. I was really excited and the dealer was very courteous. After a short demo to get familiarize with the car, I took off right away to Lake Geneva, Wisc. <br>
<br>
The car is very solid. The engine feels more powerful than my friend's ML320. I love the HID, and the Heated Seat. What I love the most is the GPS. For people that are still thinking to add GPS on their ML320, my suggestion, get one. It's awesome. It gives a very exact direction and location. (Even the exit number and street name for highways). I also have the Parktronic and it helps me a lot when parking in Chicago's tight spots.<br>
<br>
And here's the hate part:<br>
On Sunday, after going back from Church, I heard the ML started to rattle. It becomes very noticeable. The rattle sounds like it comes from the dashboard area. Since it's Sunday (luckyly I took Monday off), I waited for Monday morning to call my dealer and to check what's going on. After a day w/o the car (good thing they gave me free tickets to the Chicago AutoShow), it turns out something loose in front fender area and it's internal. They have to send my car to the body shop to weld the loose part. And it'll take 2 or 3 days. I just can't believe it. For a new car, and it started give me problem already. They gave me a loaner (of course a rental car, not another Mercedes) for me to back to Detroit and I have to go there again this weekend to pick it up. Here it is, I have to wait another 'week' to enjoy it.<br>
<br>
Sorry for the long post. Just have to let it out from my system. Anybody got the same problem ? And what's wrong with Mercedes quality control ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 06:17 AM
Jeff in CT

Re: Love and Hate for ML500.

A sad story. I'm still waiting for my ML320 and I hate to here these stories. One of the reasons I chose the ML was because it is in its 5th year and the product should be pretty solid by now (especially after the 02 redesign). It's sad when I hear stories that it is not. I hope I made the right decision. You should write MB a letter.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 06:21 AM
sosh

Re: Love and Hate for ML500.

Never had that problem but have had everything else. At least my dealer gives near new MB's as loaners (E class, M lass and new C class) As of today the ML 500 is in the shop for the 3rd time to correct severe brake squeal and has bee there since last Tues!! Since owning this thing I have put more miles on loaners than my own ML!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 06:23 AM
JohnN

Sorry to hear it Mike...

I'd be seriously frosted if something like that happened to me..<br> <br> Did you see visual evidence that there's actually something that needs welding? If so, then I'd question the quality check as well.<br> <br> I wonder how many of the problems we hear of occur during shipping of the vehicle (via rail, which can sometimes be a bumpy ride). I know that I opened up my ML to see the FM amplifier, and found a loose connection - but one that could have either been so from the factory, or could have occurred during shipping.<br> <br> Either way - here's to hoping your week is shortened.<br> <br> -J
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 07:10 AM
Tom

Bumpy ride?

John:<br> <br> It the problems were due to a bumpy ride from the factory to the dealer, what does that suggest about off road capability? If it were that simple, all off roaders would have trashed their Ms by now.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 07:22 AM
sosh

Re: Sorry to hear it Mike...

If a weld broke during shipping it was a bad weld. If the car was handled is such a way that it broke a good weld would not want it. Quite frankly I would ask them to replace the vehicle. How many more bad welds are there on this vehicle?? Thats pretty serious stuff!!!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 07:50 AM
SchneiderIS

Sorry to hear ...

I didn't have the same experience. Mine has been fine.<br> <br> When you get it back you will enjoy it even more every day.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 08:08 AM
MikeH

Thanks for all your replies.

<br> I will check with my dealer this morning. Yesterday, they told me it's internal. <br> <br> I'll give you guys the update.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 08:14 AM
JohnN

You guys are reading into it wrong...

my post wasn't to say the weld wasn't bad.<br> <br> It was to whether or not quality control could have caught it.<br> <br> Some things should *definitely* be caught by a QA check. Let's say, for example - a faulty radio or headlamp. How about a power seat not properly functioning? Those kinds of things should be easily caught by a pre-delivery QA check.<br> <br> Now - as to a bad weld - you'd figure that a certain amount of jarring would have to result in order for the QA folks to catch it. QA at the point of production should have caught it, but QA at pre-delivery checkup probably don't do the type of testing that would reveal a fault like that.<br>
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 09:17 AM
Andrew

Oh NO, here I go all over again..........

Exactly, one has to love the vehicle for the many atributes which there is no need to list, but damm it, why does it have to have all this small complaints, they have the hardest part accomplished, as good as is going to get realistically within the price constrain, if you all need your memory refreshed, think about the past, back then a 4wd SUV was a pretty rough vehicle, built over the traditional way, Mercedes set the pace with their independent suspension, purpouse designed, forged aluminun arms to reduce the unsprung weigth, reduction gear, the W5 three channel transmission is seamless, all aluminun engine, independent coils, stamped and formed exhaust headers, in other words a well engineered package.<br> <br> BUT, what is irritating is after taking delivery a week later an uphoslstery panel starts to rattle, a small thing like that can have such a negative effect, it gives the impression that the body is not solid even if you know better, I dont know about any of you, but when I am in any vehicle, hell even in plane if I hear something rattle or chirp my mind focuses on it and tries to figure out why, if I was twenty years younger I would have taken the panels of my ML and the points of contact I would have realigned them with felt or whatever it needed to remedy the situation, I am a firm believer of a quiet cabin, rattles remind me of domestic cars of the 60's and 70's when going over a railroad track or pot holes the dash would rattle so bad that I thougth it would drop or the upholstery on the doors would behave like an accordion when slammed shut and all the guts inside would rattle like a coffee can full of marbles. In 1968 my father bougth a 240D I believe, a 4spd, I borrowed the car a few times, going over the same pot holes the first time I remember being so impressed by the integrity of the car, the firm ride, the firm seats, precise steering with feedback, compared that to the whale I was driving, slushing around on a sofa behind a hood the size of a king size matress, floating along the road I quickly realized the quality of Mercedes and their conservatism.<br> <br> Today they still deliver that handling, so much so that today all cars strive for that Euro or German handle and feel, if they could get those small issues under control we have the perfect vehicles.<br> <br> I dont know what to make out of it, is it the forums that tend to concentrate the complaints or the super highway of comunications or they dont take the small issues seriously enough or was it like that all along, I dont know, I know that they have the hardest part, why not make that little extra hump and get to the top.<br> <br> All in all I will buy another Mercedes, to me is like encountering the sexiest woman of my dreams, slaps me in the face and then says, come on honey lets go to bed, deja vou all over again.<br> <br> Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in