post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Power Steering Pump noise fixed

Some Information up front:
My wife has a 1999 ML320, her power steering hose (return) fell of and she lost all fluid on her way home, lost all easy steering.

I looked at it, thought easy fix: removed the hose clamp cut a piece of the hose stuck it back on with a new clamp (do not over clamp).
After attaching everything I did my 1st mistake, I used regular autopart store steering fluid, thats a no no (use only MB power steering oil has a lower viscosity).

2nd mistake I started the engine after refill and moved the steering to the left and right thats a no no ( top off the MB fluid to max or a little over, get the wheels off the ground and move the steering wheel with engine off about 30times slow from end to end, check always for fluid level and refill as needed, correct level before starting engine).

After doing my mistakes my power steering pump sounded like a coffee bean grinder.
Not knowing I went and bought a new Power steering pump thinking the bearings overheated. (No damage to pump with lost of fluid for about 30mils per MB). Installed
the new pump this time did my home work and bleed the system to get the air out. (to late air was trapped in steering rack). Noise was still there, I was mad as hell.

My solution is so easy that I'm afraid to say it.

1. If your Fluid level is ok and you don't have a leak.
2. The system is bleed correctly.
3. Your power steering pump is making noise, but the pump is good.

All you need to do is drive your car to get the oil hot, place a Ramp under the right
Wheel to tilt the car, the fill cap off and leave it tilled over night. check on fluid level
before starting engine.

And yes thats it!
My nightmare's went away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 01:39 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2007
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having the same exact problem as you. My fluid went low last week, so I replaced the pump yesterday when adding fluid didn't make the noise go away. The noise is still there even with the new pump.

I just wanted to confirm something about your post before I try it tonight. By right tire you are talking about the passenger side?

Please let me know.

I'll report back on whether or not it worked for me.

Thanks.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
You can also try a steep incline..

When the bleeding procedure is propoerly followed - with the front tires up in the air - then in addition to being able to move back-n-forth to pump the system (engine off) the incline helps bring the rack air up and out.

You can get the same up-n-out on the rack air parking on a steep incline overnight.

Your hose blw out was a extreme case, and yes air did get worked well into the system.

The "steering noise" caused by less-than-a-blown-hose is more normally associated with low fluid in the reservoir (and yes ONLY use MB power steering fluid) - after top oiff - the slow leak normally/most common is a reservoir and o-ring replacement.

On most reservoir and o-ring replacements - if the top-off solved the noise problem - after replacement most times you don't need to go to the extreme bleeding measures - just my expereince.

Keep the beat !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Motivational Poster

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Valvoline makes a synthetic blend power steering fluid that's just as good. I've been running it in the 2002 ML320 since I replaced the reservoir. As for the noise, it's there because of the air or lack of fluid, not necessarily because of the fluid you used. If you would've parked your vehicle on a steep incline and let idle a few minutes, then turn your steering wheel all the way to the left, then to the right several times, you would have eliminated the air. You didn't make a mistake turning your steering wheel. The mistake was not parking your vehicle on an incline. This procedure has worked very well with both my ML's.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 722.671 Rest in Peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2004
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well I did try all Werkstatt standart procedures . I was told by the German mechanics
that sometimes the air gets stuck so bad that the Wis procedures don't work, they
first try to leave the car overnight with the Wheels turned to the right in the air (rechts Einschlag). If that does not work they try driver side or passenger side up or leave the
Car parked on a hill, I live in Florida we don't have hills. For me passenger side front wheel
on a ramp worked over night.

And just take my word, I did move that steering wheel for 3hr with the front tires in the air and flushed the system with a vacuum pump about 3 times. And by the way Valvoline synthetic blend power steering fluid is what I used as refill in the first place, which maybe did not create the problem but made me think because when I did flush the system with a vacuum pump I could see that the 2 fluids did not mix.
Did my homework after F..ing up, Valvoline synthetic at 40C has a viscosity of 50mm/s
and the MB fluid 19mm/s now thats more than double.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I purchased and still own a 1999 ML320. It was taken back to the dealer twice in 2003, again in 2005 and and now in Jan of 2010 for the lower power steering line problems. On two occasions it was leaking where it connects to the lower radiator and the other two for the hose blowing off of the lower fitting. Mercedes is aware of this safety issue and has repaired it for free with a little push. The cavitation or whine is caused by low fluid or a bad filter in the reservoir.

If the fluid level is ok look inside the reservoir while the car is running. If the fluid is moving fast inside the reservoir the filter inside is bad and causes air bubbles to get in the fluid because of the turbulent flow. This is what causes 99% the noise!!!

Before you spend any money buying an expensive power steering pump you may want to follow this advise. This an easy fix by getting a new reservoir, gasket, c clamp, and benz fluid which was about $60 from the dealer.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 01:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Can someone explain the right wheel on ramp theory? I tried yesterday night. It seems the P/S is less noisy than before, although it still whining. The car was not hot when I put it on ramp. I'll try again with the engine hot to see what's gonna be.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 01:11 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2015
Vehicle: 2002 ML270CDI
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernmc View Post
Can someone explain the right wheel on ramp theory? I tried yesterday night. It seems the P/S is less noisy than before, although it still whining. The car was not hot when I put it on ramp. I'll try again with the engine hot to see what's gonna be.
Hi Fermic,

Did the whining stop? .... Did did you get an explanation on then right wheel up ramp theory?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:46 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Neo:

He may not still be here. Post is almost 2 years old - the prior ones date from 2010 & 2007 - !

While its not fruitless to 'resurrect' old threads, but OP (iriginal poster) may have moved on.

But, good news is we also have been thru this routine !

If you search "w163 power steering bleed procedure" here or in Google (add Benzworld name) you'll find the thread or posts that have the exact .pdf attached.

Most all of what is said here mirrors my experience - use only Euro PS Fluid. Prestone makes a Euro fluid that is correct also Pentosin makes one or hit an MB dealer.

PS Filter is integral to Reservoir so if old & clogged get a new reservoir (u could backflush but its not cost effective) they're only $60 at Dealer I got a nice one for $18 thru Amazon.

O-ring seal where the Reservoir connects to pump port can leak & badly. Mine had a fine seal but plastic reservoir had cracked around seal port circumference, causing seal leak.

Solution was New reservoir, re-use existing seal, new Prestone Euro fluid (1-2 pints) and Viola, perfect quiet steering & no leaks.

I was prepared to do the MB Workshop bleed routine but didn't need to as no air was ingested into my pump or rack - if you catch a PS leak early enough & leave engine off while switching out leaky seal and / or reservoir, you can skip bleed procedure its mainly for those cases where air has gotten deeper into system.

Make sense ?

Hope this helps - David in East Texas
Neo7 and wpnaes like this.

Gone, and fondly remembered:

1975 240D - 4 speed manual, power nothing
1984 190E 2.3 - Cute, reliable & slow
1983 300SD - Great highway tourer, 28mpg

Here & greatly appreciated:

2000 E 320 Wagon -
2002 ML 500 - Finally got one !
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2015
Vehicle: 2002 ML270CDI
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Hi David.... MY belated thanks for your response above.

Today my PS has started moaning and groaning and juddering all the way through the turn.

Firstly I have a 2002 ML270 (VIN WDC1631132A322689) which has the reservoir separate (connected on a rubber hose) to pump. So I don't think there's an O-ring to replace??

Secondly ...So far I can't find any leaks but Oil level looked low and I have lots of bubbles and rapid fluid flowing in the reservoir so from what I've read I need to replace a filter .... Good information seems hard to find but I have found this MAPCO Inline Filter but can't see where it would be located on in my ML??

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/mapco/9445704#

Any help or tips would be appreciated ... MB has PS Oil on Backorder so I have a few days to get gen'd up on all this.

Thanks. Neo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in