LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1999, ML430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transfer case motor, control module or ??

I have 1999 ML 430 with 133, 000 miles. Early this morning I was turning relatively slowly turning into a parking when I heard a bang...thought I ran over something. Got out (too early for any traffic around) looked around and under and saw nothing. As I rolled forward to park, I heard what sounded like gears clicking/grinding - clicks/grinds faster as speed increase. It was so loud the few people in the parking lot turned to see who was making all that noise! I feared the worst, presuming drive shaft, differential, transfer case or transmission.

My mind immediately raced through the work I've done over the last 2 weeks. Oil change...that can't be it unless it's all drained out because I forgot the plug. But that was 100 miles ago. One new O2 sensor. That's not it unless I left a tool. Drive shaft center support bearing replaced 300 miles ago along with transfer case fluid (Castrol Dexron III) change. No leaks at either transfer case fill or drain plug.

What could it be? I didn't want to drive it any further fearing a noise that loud is an indicator of major $$ problem. Put car in park, turned off the engine. Looked for my motor club card. Surveyed the parking lot for a spot to park that would be easy for a flatbed towtruck to haul the car to the dealer (and avoid further embarassment in the parking lot). By now someone had pulled in behind me so I had to drive forward. Started the car, put it into drive and the noise was still there. Based on a 5 second analysis of hanging out the vehicle while it was rolling forward, it sounded like it was coming from DIRECTLY below the open door...not from the front or rear of the truck but somewhere more in the middle but it was a pretty quick, unsophisticated analysis. Found a parking spot on a single row that would be easy access for the flatbed. As I backed into the spot, I heard a thud when I put the car in reverse. Backed into the spot. Then decided to move forward a few feet just to see what sounds occurred. The grinding/clicking was GONE!

Drove around the parking lot with no issues and decided to try to make one more shopping stop and then head home...about 10 miles in total. It did not act up again but I am so fearful that the noises are a warning of a big problem/issue so I'm reluctant to drive it until I get some expert advise. Two other bits of information: transmission was serviced at 100,000 miles (replaced leaking transmission cooling lines...so much for sealed transmission) new MB fluid, filter, magnet. Yesterday, I engaged the LOW range for the FIRST time in a couple years for about a 10 seconds to get up a steep, dirt hill with some firewood. Truck was driven at least 50 miles after that.

Any thoughts about what would have caused this? Transfer case motor? Control module? Will this have thrown any transmission diagnostic codes? My OBDII/Can reader doesn't show any codes so can only the dealer pull transmission/drivetrain codes or can any good shop analyze this?

Thanks in advance for all your inputs, opinions and guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320 06 ML500
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Gee it's tough to say, but I would check that drive shaft and the center support you just had replaced.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 05:33 AM
pcy
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When my drive shaft (on a '98 ML 320) went bad, it made similar noise. However, in your case, the noise seems to be gone.... get under the truck and try to move the drive shafts (trans to transfer case, tr case to front diff, tr case to rear diff) and see if any of them have lot of play... good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1999, ML430
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
No Issues Found...yet

Indy cannot find any issues with drive shaft support bearing, either diffs, transfer case or driveshafts.

That was 100+ miles ago and still no symptoms. He suspects on of the CV joints got "hung up". Not sure I'm confident of the diagnosis so will have to drive and listen for a new clue.

Will keep your posted.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in