Can an ECU from a '99 ML be reprogrammed to another vehicle? Anyone done it? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: '99 ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Can an ECU from a '99 ML be reprogrammed to another vehicle? Anyone done it?

I need to replace my ecu and I am getting conflicting information regarding reprogramming an ecu. Can it be done? I have access to an ecu from a wrecked '99 ML to put in my '99 but dealers here in New Zealand say they can't be reprogrammed but indy mechanics have said it can be done? Anyone with experience in doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 04:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i remember answering your question on this before and i believe the answer is no. i say this because on all newer cars, the ME is married to the vehicle. on the older ML's, a ME can be used for testing, but after so many starts, its locked to the vehicle. now when you say indy mechanics, are these MB mechanics or shops that work with other makes and models?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 07:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
Absolutly will not work!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Streetglower, what are you referring to by the ME? Instead of reprogramming, is it possible that I get the key that belongs to the ecu and then put my existing blade in the fob so it matches my ignition and everything work. I had another ecu in my ML with key taped to the ignition (to communicate with the immobiliser) for 24 hours and wasn't asked to restrict stopping and starting so logic would suggest the above proposition would work.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
streetglower, as a mb mechanic you 'believe' it can't be done, is there not any official MB documentation regarding this issue stating 'yes' or 'no'. Since this part is expensive to replace and is susceptible to failure due to environmental factors such as humidity, I am surprised there is not a better solution than just buying a new one. Here in NZ, an ecu costs over US$3000 so replacement for a dry joint or because 'they fail' seems ridiculous.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 01:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BRATZ
Streetglower, what are you referring to by the ME? Instead of reprogramming, is it possible that I get the key that belongs to the ecu and then put my existing blade in the fob so it matches my ignition and everything work. I had another ecu in my ML with key taped to the ignition (to communicate with the immobiliser) for 24 hours and wasn't asked to restrict stopping and starting so logic would suggest the above proposition would work.
the ME is the main engine control unit in the vehicle. it stands for motor electronics. it controls fuel and starting the vehicle. Now my question is are you referring to the ME or another control unit. sounds as if you are referring to the AAM (all activity module) which has some control over the ignition. let me know which one you are referring to.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 01:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
the ME is the main engine control unit in the vehicle. it stands for motor electronics. it controls fuel and starting the vehicle. Now my question is are you referring to the ME or another control unit. sounds as if you are referring to the AAM (all activity module) which has some control over the ignition. let me know which one you are referring to.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 01:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
streetglower, as a mb mechanic you 'believe' it can't be done, is there not any official MB documentation regarding this issue stating 'yes' or 'no'. Since this part is expensive to replace and is susceptible to failure due to environmental factors such as humidity, I am surprised there is not a better solution than just buying a new one. Here in NZ, an ecu costs over US$3000 so replacement for a dry joint or because 'they fail' seems ridiculous.
first let me know if you are referring to the ME or AAM. that are several control units in the car and just saying ECU I assumed you are referring to the ME which is main engine control unit. now like mentioned before, all newer cars, certain control units once installed are married to the car and cant be returned or put in another car, this includes the EIS, ME control unit, ESM. with the ML, the AAM is locked to the vehicle. now when installing these control units, DAS will tell you it will be locked to the vehicle or after so many starts its locked to the vehicle.
now I have seen a few ME's fail, but alot of AAM's fail
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the help streetglower, it is appreciated greatly. i'm a bit confused cause the mb dealers here have not used the term AAM or ME when I have talked to them but simply refer to the part as the ECU which is located in the rear section of the box containing fuses etc . I would assume we are both talking about the ME in your terms.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 02:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

the reason I get specific is because mercedes has so many control units in there vehicles and with a honda saying ECU, i know there is only 1 control unit, but MB saying ECU could mean alot of different ones. in the front box there are several control units, you have the AAM connected to the bottom of the fuse box, you have the ESP control unit, the ME control unit. let me speak with my shop foreman and I will get better clarification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in