Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 05 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
OT but I really need help!!!!!!!

I know I'm not supposed to post this here but I'm at a loss at an issue with my Z. Mr. Moderator, delete this if you feel it doesn't belong here - but please I really need help and I feel there's enough knowledge here to help - even though our cars trucks aren't manual trannies.

Introduction
My daily driver is a 89 Nissan 300ZX Turbo with about 240K. Several years ago (and I believe that was under 100K) I did a tranny transplant from auto to manual. The car accumulates approximately 1K/month and the clutch is very strong.

Here's the problem
Whenever I engine brake at low speeds (20-40mph), I hear this chirping squeal. It almost sounds like a brake pad sensor but intermittent. As soon as I depress the clutch, the squeal goes away. It's not very loud but any casual onlooker can hear it. It's much worse when things are cold. In reverse, I can clearly hear a disturbing metallic rubbing sound (like brake pad wear sensors, but just not as constant) which goes away, sometimes, with depressing the clutch. If I have the wheel turned while in reverse, the noise is more pronoounced. At high speed and high gear, I don't hear it - probably just due to noise at higher speed. The clutch engages fine and is strong. I'm beginning to think throw-out bearing. What do you think?

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 03:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Let me start out by saying I am no expert in this. But in reading your post, before coming to you mentioning the throwout bearing, I was thinking the same thing.

Does the Z have the old style clutch cable set-up?

Just before the throwout bearing on my 911 gave out, I had a metallic sound that disappeared when the clutch was depressed.
Snapped my clutch fork as well when the bearing gave way.

Mike
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I think it's the bearing. This one has the hydraulic unit.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 09:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 2005 ML500SE
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmann
I know I'm not supposed to post this here but I'm at a loss at an issue with my Z. Mr. Moderator, delete this if you feel it doesn't belong here - but please I really need help and I feel there's enough knowledge here to help - even though our cars trucks aren't manual trannies.

Introduction
My daily driver is a 89 Nissan 300ZX Turbo with about 240K. Several years ago (and I believe that was under 100K) I did a tranny transplant from auto to manual. The car accumulates approximately 1K/month and the clutch is very strong.

Here's the problem
Whenever I engine brake at low speeds (20-40mph), I hear this chirping squeal. It almost sounds like a brake pad sensor but intermittent. As soon as I depress the clutch, the squeal goes away. It's not very loud but any casual onlooker can hear it. It's much worse when things are cold. In reverse, I can clearly hear a disturbing metallic rubbing sound (like brake pad wear sensors, but just not as constant) which goes away, sometimes, with depressing the clutch. If I have the wheel turned while in reverse, the noise is more pronoounced. At high speed and high gear, I don't hear it - probably just due to noise at higher speed. The clutch engages fine and is strong. I'm beginning to think throw-out bearing. What do you think?
Hey Darkmann,
Had that once in a Chevy S-10 5 speed. It was the radial torsion springs in the hub of the clutch disc. Also the pivot point for the throwout bearing arm was dry and metal to metal. New clutch disc and some grease in the right place solved the problem. Don't know if that will help you as I'm not there to hear the noise, but maybe you can check it out if you plan on changing out the throwout bearing!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 06:05 AM
Premium Member

Vehicle: ML430
Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to ttaleric
Dark -

Its ok to post questions here! No problem! You are a vet (so you get special treatment).

1996 C220 SOLD
1999 ML430 SOLD
09 Nissan Titan 4x4 LE SOLD
12 F150 4x4 FX4
12 Ducati Streetfighter (street)
07 Yamaha R6 (track)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 12:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: '03 ML350
It could also be from the pilot bushing (bearing) which is smaller than throw-out bearing. Did you also replace that when you did the clutch job which usually replace throw-out bearing, clutch disk and pressure plate? I'm guessing here since I'm not familiar with 300zx.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 02:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
My guess is that it is the throw out bearing and/or a bearing on a pilot shaft in the transmission. From what I hear Nissan manual transmissions are in need of a tear down and rebuild after 125000 miles mostly to replace bearings and synchronizers.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 05:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Sounds like it time to get the tranny out and take a look at what is going on in the clutch area. I don't know how difficult this is in the Z, but I hope you have some friends to help you out.

Mike
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaleric
Dark -

Its ok to post questions here! No problem! You are a vet (so you get special treatment).
Thatks TT, I appreciate that. There's so muck knowledge here that I just had to take advantage of - and thus far, I'm glad I did.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350insp
It could also be from the pilot bushing (bearing) which is smaller than throw-out bearing. Did you also replace that when you did the clutch job which usually replace throw-out bearing, clutch disk and pressure plate? I'm guessing here since I'm not familiar with 300zx.
I had new pressure plate, pilot bushing and throw-out bearing. I'm due for a rear main seal replacement sometime this summer. I certainly will have the entire clutch area redone. Thanks for all your responses folks. I really appreciate all the advice.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in