LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
BAS/ESP ETS ABS lights staying on

I have read some of the other forums on this topic and none are exactly as mine. I have a 2000 ML 320 in Australia with 199k kilometres. I have had it since new and always had it serviced at the dealer. These three lights are now coming on and staying on. My cruise control is working fine but my ABS etc is not. The dealer says it is a AUD$5000 repair bill. They say it is the ESP pump? which is at fault.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 05 500
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie1
I have read some of the other forums on this topic and none are exactly as mine. I have a 2000 ML 320 in Australia with 199k kilometres. I have had it since new and always had it serviced at the dealer. These three lights are now coming on and staying on. My cruise control is working fine but my ABS etc is not. The dealer says it is a AUD$5000 repair bill. They say it is the ESP pump? which is at fault.

Any ideas?
Your dealer may be right and the price sounds right also. Your symptom is uniqe in that for most, if not all the cases published thus far, the failure is usually electrical - sensor - and not mechanical like in your case. Do you really have ABS,BAS,ESP failure? WhenI first had these lights on my 02 320 (I don't recall what combination came on), I went into an open area and tested the ABS/BAS/ESP and all worked fine, despite the lights. Good luck buddy. That's a pretty stiff bill!!! I'd negotiate with them, get MB involved and cite all the numerous ABS/ESp/EST/BAS issues published to date. Provide data from this and all the other sites you've gotten info from. Ask them to go half/half or let them do parts and you do labor or something to split this bill. if you play right you may get lucky.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2006
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Darkmann. I have tested the ABS on a wet road and found that it didn't work. Also, I have tried going round particular corners fast which usually brings in the ESP but again it didn't come in. I was wondering whether parts may be cheaper in USA than Austalia. Over here some of the parts prices our in outer space!! I have also thought about perhaps sourcing second hand parts but am a bit wary of having the same problem surface later on. Any one else have ideas

Cheers
Aussie1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: 05 500
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I'd advice to not sought out second hand parts - they may work but no one's ever sure about how long they'll last. And, for MB parts, the price difference is typically not that much!!! A lot of second hand parts dealers use MB owners to make money - they think that we're all rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Parts are expensive here in the US also. What you want to do is make sure that the part numbers in AUS match the part number in USA - I don't have any idea why they'd be different, but you never know what gov regulations govern these things!!! In any case, I think that labor is the big difference. Most shops in the us charge near $90US/hr labor. AUS may be more. I agree with you to get the parts and let MB dealer do the work. And you really don't have to do the work at a MB dealer. As long as you get the right parts, look for a capable shop that will install them, and get some warranty. Just make sure that you're not paying more for parts from the USA when shipping and whatever else (custom, duties, etc) are included.

I wish I could be coming to AUS soon with some parts!!!!! I was there a couple of years ago for a gov mission and I loved it all they way. We were out in the desert for several weeks and what a trip it was!!!! Good luck man and I hope it all works out well.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!

Last edited by Darkmann; 01-05-2007 at 10:20 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 08:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: MBs
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie1
They say it is the ESP pump? which is at fault.

Any ideas?
Might be a $10 ABS relay or a cold solder connection...

Ask the dealer what the diagnostic faults codes are to further troubleshoot it.

Here's a start:

Mysterious BAS/ETS/ABS lights don’t want to go away.. - MBWorld.org Forums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 02:28 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2004
You may want to check/replace your brake lightbulbs in the rear. Had same problem, $5.00 US fixed it
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 09:59 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
I had the same problem. I went to the dealer and he told me that it would cost around $3000 to fix it. But I noticed that the problem only occured when the car would switch for the first time from the first to the second, or from the second to the third gear. For a while, I was very careful and slow when I sensed that the car was going to switch gears. I changed my oil, and after a while the problem went away. But when I started to get the problem again, I sensed that something was wrong with the relays. Everytime I got the problem, I stopped my car, took out the ABS hydrolics relay and put it back in. The problem has not come back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in