ML320 - My ABS, BAS, ESP, ETS lights are on and the Tranny wont shift out of 1st gear - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ML320 - My ABS, BAS, ESP, ETS lights are on and the Tranny wont shift out of 1st gear

I have a 1998 ML 320 and on my way home from work it started beeping and the ABS, ESP, BAS and ETS lights came on. I pulled to the side of the road and turned it off then started it back up. When I started driving it wouldn't shift out of first gear and then the lights came on again. I pulled over and called my wife to pick me up. When she got there I decided to give it another try and it drove home fine. Thenext day the same thing happened and i also noticed that the windows, seats and moon roof wont work some of the time but when I shut it off and restart they work again. Any Ideas of what this could be. I replaced the (Brake) Stop light switch but the problem still exists. I also heard that it could be the VSS or ABS Speed Sensor or the steering angle sensor. I need help anyone have similar problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 03:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 98ML320
Sounds like your car is going into "limp home mode" which is 2nd gear.

It happend to my car although my car did not restart normally, it just stayed in limp home mode.

In my case, it was a rat or something chewed through some of the wiring in the engine bay. The fix was to replace the wiring harness in the engine bay. It did take time to track down the problem.

This is not a common problem but since something is freaking the computer out and making it think the car cannot be driven I'd take it to a good mechanic/technician and have it properly diagnosed. Could be as simple as a sensor or like me, something more involved.
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: 05 500
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I don't know about MY98 but the BAS,ESP, ETC, XYZ thing has plagued these trucks (and all other MB cars) for as long as they've been in existence. The problen is usually a bad brake switch, a bad steering angle sensor, or a host of malfunctioning control computers. I have had my share of these lights, inclulding shift lock, but never where it actually looked like limp mode - stuck in 2nd.

My advice is to have the issue diagnosed by a MB shop. Once the issue is identitied, you can decide how to proceed. Some stuff like the brake switch, you can DIY. Others may be more difficult to DIY. I really think that you have a situation that we haven't seen here yet!!!!! Of course, I hope that the thousands of Mlers around the world would chip in!!!

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 10:39 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML320
I am having exactly the same problem here i Dubai. The service centre reset the ECU 3 times so far. Works fine for a day or two then the same thing happens again. Last time I noticed that when I open the two front doors at the same time, all the lights in the dash flicker. I told him that but he said there isn't anything wrong with the doors, the ECU is already spooked by something. He put the car on the computer and all he can figure out was the problem occur when the voltage drops down under 11.5v instead of 13v+. He has checked the altenator and its fine. Last advice was the ECU has been water damaged and needs replacing at more the $2k. I find this hard to believe. I had the car for 6 months already and it was fine. It rains once or twice a year in Dubai so not exactly a wet weather climate. And its extremely unlikely that the ECU will be damaged from just cash washing. I think they just don't know what's causing it and hoping if I replace the ECU it will fix the problem.
Raf
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 09:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 98ML320
[QUOTE=Darkmann]I don't know about MY98 but the BAS,ESP, ETC, XYZ thing has plagued these trucks (and all other MB cars) for as long as they've been in existence. The problen is usually a bad brake switch, a bad steering angle sensor, or a host of malfunctioning control computers. I have had my share of these lights, inclulding shift lock, but never where it actually looked like limp mode - stuck in 2nd.
QUOTE]

We have 3 early build 98's in the family and in 8 plus years we've only had the brake switch problem and the crazy rat thing on my car. None of the other problems. You really had a host of problems but I'm not conviced it's a plague.

I figure after 8 years it's reasonable to expect to have to fix a part that's used everytime you drive.

That said, there are a lot of common parts like the MAF that has a high failure rate among all the manufacturers that use the parts not just mercedes or ML's. I think companies like bosch have had a bad run in the last few years and their defects are affecting everyone not just the ML. We just like to bitch about it more.
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 09:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: MBs
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcatny
That said, there are a lot of common parts like the MAF that has a high failure rate among all the manufacturers that use the parts not just mercedes or ML's. I think companies like bosch have had a bad run in the last few years and their defects are affecting everyone not just the ML. We just like to bitch about it more.
MBUSA analyzed MAFs which were replaced under warranty and has found many are working fine. That's why they put out this info for MB mechanics training purposes:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Wolfgang; 10-02-2006 at 09:43 AM.
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 02:12 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Got my car from the garage yesterday. Apparently it was the steering wheel angle sensor. So far its running fine
Raf
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 02:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2003
Having same problem with my 00 M320. Has your problem come back?
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 06:31 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

They replaced the steering angle censor and observed it for3 days. Was supposed to be fixed then problem returned before I even left the dealer's carpark when I went to pick the car up. 3 more days of observation, turned up to be a loose earth strap from the gearbox to the chassis. Cost nothing to fix but a whole lot of frustration and $$ on cabs
Good luck
Rafik
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 11:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: ml 320 1998
I change my mass sencor 39 pounds off ebay, what a difference the vercle is no more rough idling and the car runs like a dream so far , gear changes feel smoother, kick down etc,
why didnt i do this before? as i sufffered for so long, cleaning the unit etc. etc.
ive still got the lights on the dash ie, (BAS ESP) (ETS) next step is to change the brake switch, hopefully this will sort it ill keep you informed.
thanks again for the replys.
this site saves you a fortune.
regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in