LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
01 ML320 ABS/ETS/BAS-ESP Lights On

These three lights always turn on when I make a "tight left turn" at low speed (for example, in the parking lot, but it won't light up when making a left turn through an intersection). After shutting down the vehicle, restarting the engine, drive straight ahead above 15 mph, these lights will go off unitl I make a "tight left turn" next time. Any clue? I had replaced ABS relay, brake lamp switch, and check the battery and it seems OK.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 11:59 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: '02ML320
You can try resetting the abs by turning the steering full lock left then all the way right. I had the same symptoms when my brake pads were worn thin. When was the last time you changed your pads?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2006
(Thread Starter)
I replaced the front pads about a year ago (~10,000 miles) and the rear about 2 years ago (~21,000 miles). I did hear squeal coming from the rear and plan to replace rear pads very soon. By the way, I did reset ABS by turning steering wheel and these lights won't turn off. Thanks.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 01:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 02ML320 & 06RClass (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixthree
You can try resetting the abs by turning the steering full lock left then all the way right. I had the same symptoms when my brake pads were worn thin. When was the last time you changed your pads?
Just wondering why you ask about changing the brake pads. Does it have any relation to the three lights? Coz we have the brake sensor that tells you if you have less than the minimum already, right. Mine(3 lights) is also acting up months after I changed the brake switch. Still looking for a solution for this "on & off" thing.

Quote 4 da` day : MODDING is very essential to make your ML very SPECIAL
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 04:01 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: '02ML320
Well, the only time these lights came on for me, I just brought it to the dealer, since the car was practically new. On the invoice, they didnt list anything other than simple pad change. Maybe they just topped off the brake fluid and that fixed it? Never had any problems since. I got sick of changing oem pads every 15k miles so I went with aftermarket pad/rotor(raybestos ceramic/zimmerman) setup and no warning lights after +35k miles.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:04 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Well here is my 2cents worth. The brake pedal has two switches. One activates the brake lights and the second switch used by a number of other interconnected modules. Out of interest, when the lights come on does the cruise control work?

I had a similar problem and Mercedes changed one of the switches an problem fixed.

Can't explain why it occurs only when turning left, perhaps the switch is loose or faulty and moves more in one direction when turning, don't know.

But its easy and certainly worth having a look at the switches under the brake pedal.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 05:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 02ML320 & 06RClass (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter
Well here is my 2cents worth. The brake pedal has two switches. One activates the brake lights and the second switch used by a number of other interconnected modules. Out of interest, when the lights come on does the cruise control work?

I had a similar problem and Mercedes changed one of the switches an problem fixed.

Can't explain why it occurs only when turning left, perhaps the switch is loose or faulty and moves more in one direction when turning, don't know.

But its easy and certainly worth having a look at the switches under the brake pedal.
After I changed my brake switch everything seems so fine - cruise control is working no moaning or whining as others in other words "normal". Suddenly months after, all three lights came on. My temporary solution is to stop the car and start again then the lights will just fade away.

Quote 4 da` day : MODDING is very essential to make your ML very SPECIAL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in