LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1999 S600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Anyone know about this bumper cover? ReplaceŽ Brand..

My bumper cover has a HUGE crack in it from the bottom all the way to the tow hook cover and is currently gorilla taped together (snagged it on one too many parking blocks), which BTW is holding remarkable well.

Eventually I'm going in for a respray and the repair work on the bumper would be around $300 prior to paint. Maybe just get this and scrap the old one (minus the tow hook covers)

The reviews overall for this brand seem very good, but there are none for the w1450 specific bumper.. Seems too good to be true for $177, unless they make up the margin in shipping.

https://www.carid.com/replace/front-...44&url=4482952
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 02:06 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: '95 S500 (sold), '97 E420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My experience with "outlaw" parts has been that the fit and finish leaves quite a bit to be desired. There are about 3 levels of quality in "outlaw" body parts. The very best will have a "CAPA" sticker, and they have issues. That said, any bodyman half worth his/her salt will be able to make it fit, and look good. But I charge extra labor, due to the fitment troubles. Sometimes it's less expensive to just order OEM. (depending on the part) And sometimes it's still cheaper, even with the added labor to make it fit. Just depends on the part, and the part price. I've had to return 3 covers, just to get a 4th one that I could work with. And don't even get me started on "outlaw" metal parts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Mercedes S420, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I mean for $177 it's worth a shot, especially since OEM bumpers run $1000+ and good used ones are really hard to find.

With shipping it looks like the grand total comes out to $312, which still isn't bad. Even if a decent amount of labor is necessary to fit the part, I think you'd still be ahead of the game unless it's just total garbage.
Rob Ligeti likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: '97 CL600
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Premium Member
Bet it is made out of Chinesium?? I had to replace mine (with Parktronic) and it was about $1100 out of Germany. But it fit like a glove!
Anziani
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:16 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2015
Vehicle: 1999 S500; W140.051
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Face Bar - late W140 (140-880-23-70); NLA; Discontinued Product

OEM bumper cover was made of ABS. I'm pretty sure aftermkt unit is also ABS.

Only chassis mating features are the metal brkts riveted on in center region and the slide mating features at each side where it wraps around.

Holes for the chrome trim on the top better mate reasonably well to the 'pegs' on the trim pieces. These are features that could be 'file-tuned' if necessary.

R&R of this bumper cover is a piece of cake but should be done with a helper to slide it ON/OFF without damage.

A full inspection and test-fitting should be done upon un-packing just to make sure all is going to work.

If it were me, I would confirm ABS construction and inquire about any recourse in the event of significant fitment problems. If supplier is willing to support or stand by the product for significant issues, then why not give them a shot since MB has abandoned the product.

On other note I would add is that sanding the entire surface for painting with 180~200 is important for success with paint adhesion, especially the groove that runs the full length of the cover. Supplier says it's already primed & ready to paint, but any knowledgeable paint outfit is going to prime that bumper themselves before they paint it, so the pre-primed surface should be sanded as cited, one could maybe go with 320~400 if it arrives without any need for glazing, though I would expect to need to fix a few blems.

You can't depend on body shops to sand those things, especially that groove. Paint is often seen to blister in that area after a few years due to sketchy adhesion when that isn't prepped well, but it takes a few years to show up.
Thom_7 and Rob Ligeti like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:24 PM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1896 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ligeti View Post
My bumper cover has a HUGE crack in it from the bottom all the way to the tow hook cover and is currently gorilla taped together (snagged it on one too many parking blocks), which BTW is holding remarkable well.

Eventually I'm going in for a respray and the repair work on the bumper would be around $300 prior to paint. Maybe just get this and scrap the old one (minus the tow hook covers)

The reviews overall for this brand seem very good, but there are none for the w1450 specific bumper.. Seems too good to be true for $177, unless they make up the margin in shipping.

https://www.carid.com/replace/front-...44&url=4482952
There should be several self service wrecking yards in your area, and W140's shouldn't be hard to find. Search online for self service wrecking yards, or with LKQcorp. owners of Pick your (a) Part and more, and largest operators of wrecking yards in the world. Or call nearby Mercedes dismantlers, and ask for bumper for late model W140, and which colors they have?
The cars are elevated, sit on welded together steel rims, so removal is an easy DIY even for noobs (so is installation. Bumpers are held by 6 bolts or 8 bolts (probably 17 mm, but check manual before, or ask someone here to post the pdf).
I don't know which sensors are on your bumper (W126 only have outside temperature @ front plate), but looking for the cable plugs, connectors shouldn't be too hard. Otherwise keep cable with plug and cut behind it.

I am no W140 expert, but my guess would be that for your 99 S600, at minimum any post mid 95 W140 facelift front bumpers should fit (don't think there was another late change, and don't even know whether the bumpers changed from earlier W140 at all in mid 95?).
Perhaps the resident experts will chime in?
Cheers
Rob Ligeti likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:28 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Mercedes S420, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
Lifetime Premium Member
Yeah, any 1995+ non-parktronic bumper will fit fine.

They're out there if you look for them, but good ones are becoming hard to find and pricey, even used. We're approaching the point with these cars where aftermarket is going to be the only real option for a few key parts unless you have a lot of time/money to spend.

The bumpers in particular crack easily and the ones you find in scrapyards have often been abused and will require some kind of repair in addition to paintwork. It's not the end of the world of course, it just depends on how much you're willing to spend. Then again you can also get lucky and find a near-perfect one for a reasonable price.

If I were in the market for a bumper cover right now, I'd be very tempted by a $177 option, even if it wasn't quite OEM quality, especially if I'd been searching for a good used one for a few days and came up empty. Worst case is I end up wasting $177 -- which is a drop in the bucket at this point, considering what everything else on the car costs to maintain.
Rob Ligeti likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:23 PM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom_7 View Post
Yeah, any 1995+ non-parktronic bumper will fit fine.

They're out there if you look for them, but good ones are becoming hard to find and pricey, even used. We're approaching the point with these cars where aftermarket is going to be the only real option for a few key parts unless you have a lot of time/money to spend.

The bumpers in particular crack easily and the ones you find in scrapyards have often been abused and will require some kind of repair in addition to paintwork. It's not the end of the world of course, it just depends on how much you're willing to spend. Then again you can also get lucky and find a near-perfect one for a reasonable price.

If I were in the market for a bumper cover right now, I'd be very tempted by a $177 option, even if it wasn't quite OEM quality, especially if I'd been searching for a good used one for a few days and came up empty. Worst case is I end up wasting $177 -- which is a drop in the bucket at this point, considering what everything else on the car costs to maintain.
Next time you come the SoCal bring a few tools. In greater Los Angeles and perhaps a 50 mile radius are literally dozens of wrecking yards, some of them with thousands of cars, plus the dry climate makes for no rust.

I used to come across 2 German guys, who started out with a mobile Depo light installation to replace faded W123, 124, 126 headlights. One partner is in Munich, the other in Dresden. They come here every 3 - 4 month, pull Mercedes parts, ship the container back to German and sell them over there.
They are doing well.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:32 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Yeah I know SoCal is the land of milk & honey when it comes to parts for these cars. It's pretty amazing how good you guys have it over there lol.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:13 PM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom_7 View Post
Yeah I know SoCal is the land of milk & honey when it comes to parts for these cars. It's pretty amazing how good you guys have it over there lol.
And parts prices here are lowball.
For example: I have a nice pair of R & L early W140 door mirrors on CL for 95 bucks for a few month now, no kidding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in