post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: 1992 400SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tesla "Converted" W140!

This may seem like sacrilege to some but I've been thinking about doing this for sometime.

I love my 400SE but the one big issue I have is what do I replace it with at some point in the future?
A newer S Class seems to be the obvious choice but... Imagine an absolutely silent W140 with a 600 kilometre range between charges!

The idea of converting a W140 to full electric intrigues me. The car has plenty of room for batteries and the second hand Tesla parts are becoming commonly available.
I've got a background in computers and electronics so I'd be doing the work myself.

But to do a full conversion it would cost about $25,000 AUD (Using Tesla motors and batteries with an after-market controllers and monitoring equipment)

What do you think?

I saw a video of an Audi that was converted to full electric using Tesla batteries and motors.
Here's a screen grab...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Audi Tesla.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	2516024  
z168, MAVA and hamada128 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:43 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: '97 CL600
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Premium Member
Just keep in mind that here in the "States" there is talk of charging "e" cars up to a thousand a year in lieu of gasoline taxes for using the roads.
Anziani
hamada128 and sc_rufctr like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle: 1994 S500 and S320 W140
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
com-on-mannnnn that's taking the fun out of the w140 and replacing it with a what? There will be plenty of time, I guess, in the future for something like that. As for now let's just enjoy what we have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anziani View Post
Just keep in mind that here in the "States" there is talk of charging "e" cars up to a thousand a year in lieu of gasoline taxes for using the roads.
Anziani
Why am I not surprised?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:02 AM

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 1995 Mercedes S420, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I mean, the most reliable part of these cars is the engine itself. It's all the ancillaries that require persistent maintenance, so replacing the engine probably wouldn't save many long-term headaches in that regard (unless your engine is already worn out).

And I imagine it would cost significantly more than $25k AUD to get the job done right, so I don't think there's going to be much financial savings either, unless gas prices double/triple from where they are now (entirely possible).

I also have no idea how you'd integrate Tesla electronics into a thirty year old Mercedes platform, but again I imagine that's a problem to be solved with money.

This just seems like a tremendous amount of work. I think it would be extremely interesting if done right but I feel like it's just going to be hugely expensive to do it the right way.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thom, It's only money and I'd rather do this than buy a "new" car with all the drawbacks.

The main Tesla parts I'd use are the motors, drive and the batteries (easily obtainable second hand).
All the controllers, charge computers etc would be after market/non Tesla. You can get regen working with and after market controller.
Air-conditioning/Heating, power steering would be modified Tesla.

And it goes without saying I would buy a tired W140 that's near the end of its life. I certainly wouldn't do this to a good car.

https://electrek.co/2018/10/31/1949-...la-powertrain/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24-icon-49-mercury-coupe-ev.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	2516308  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 04:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1999 S600 & 1999 S500
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Why not just buy a used Tesla?

1999 S600 - 4 place
1999 S500 Grand Edition-Sold to good home!
1999 S500 - Deceased
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:50 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
Location: Sacramento, California & El Dorado Hills, California, USA
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post
This may seem like sacrilege to some but I've been thinking about doing this for sometime.

I love my 400SE but the one big issue I have is what do I replace it with at some point in the future?
A newer S Class seems to be the obvious choice but... Imagine an absolutely silent W140 with a 600 kilometre range between charges!

The idea of converting a W140 to full electric intrigues me. The car has plenty of room for batteries and the second hand Tesla parts are becoming commonly available.
I've got a background in computers and electronics so I'd be doing the work myself.

But to do a full conversion it would cost about $25,000 AUD (Using Tesla motors and batteries with an after-market controllers and monitoring equipment)

What do you think?

I saw a video of an Audi that was converted to full electric using Tesla batteries and motors.
Here's a screen grab...
I wondered who was going to want to do this .

I was not about to turn-off everyone here ( Just like forcing you to here the music I like ) . I researched this about six years ago, but I did stay on top of this as I'm electronics guy buy trade. I tinker with everything even if it is not economically practical, but it is for my practical satisfaction. I will spend days weeks or months trying to figure things out-That is things get created or fixed- It was how I figured out to stuff our old 722.6's with new 722.6 internals-It is how I fixed my P0455 " Gas Cap Code".

I did figure out when these "Teslas" were under $10,000 USD, but then our buddy Rich-Rebuilds on YouTube let the whole world know how to rebuild a crashed for "Small Money". Well, those days are gone as these Model S Teslas are fetching $30k/$40k/$50k and the prime customers are Eastern European.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfV...8KJADuZT2ct4SA

And in the USA their is some serious fraud with these Teslas from the two largest crash car brokers which is Copart and IAAI.

https://www.iaai.com/Search?filter=RFB

https://www.copart.com/

https://erepairables.com/

Read about the fraud :

The skinny with real auto crash auctions :

Good guy info

https://autoastat.com/

https://autoauctions.io/

My take to make any conversion it would be to use as much Tesla components as it is just smart money

The EVTV guys had figured out to decode the CAN bus signals to drive the motor controller, and Damien Maguire out of the UK decoded the Tesla charger, so no need to buy extra stuff.

EVTV Motor Verks - Custom Electric Car Conversion Instructional Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8s...HKV-S_oz3JH3qw

The EVTV guys have piles of videos, and they have a two-week starter DIY class on how to make a conversion.

No need to get fancy with custom built stuff

I would find a way to use the entire rear sub frame from a Tesla, but one has to reverse engineer the dimensions of the W140 and Tesla, and model-it with Autodesk Fusion or similar software. You can get a two year trial with all the capabilities :

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fu...verview#banner

Training from this guy is excellent:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo2...ziFUZGZ50VKvWA

This can be done a smart way.

I'm not ready to try it yet, but I want to try it with a R129 as it is a smaller lighter car, yet has the weight carrying capacity identical to a W140 as both carry the identical engines all the way up to a M120. I would use Chevy Volt batteries as they are more safe than Testla cells, and more available without that high price because if I had to buy the individual parts, but I rather buy the whole crashed car...

Anyways, lots of info and video on this stuff. I spent months...

I'm taking little steps to get there. I'm going to learn to weld next fall to learn 3G/4G/Aluminum too.

I want to do it before I'm put horizontal in the box in the ground

Hope it helps,

Martin
burgca and sc_rufctr like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakercity View Post
Why not just buy a used Tesla?
because it is not a W140
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 96 E320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post
Why am I not surprised?
Well, the electric cars are not paying the built-in tax in gasoline. It would make more sense to just have all drivers pay the "road tax" by buying a window sticker from the gas station or convienience store. At least that's how most european countries do it. Just move the tax from the fuels to the sticker.

As far as converting an older car to electric, I think its a great idea. Just also agree that its too expensive to be practical, unfortunately. This is an untapped market that vendors like Tesla could get into if they wanted. This reminds me of on old episide of Wheeler Dealers and the electric Maserati Biturbo:

Last edited by ptempel; 05-29-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in