post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Newbie needs a little direction,please

Brand Newbie so please bear with me. I have a 97 S320 LWB and Im trying to debug the few problems it has. If anyone could give me a little direction I would be appreciative.

1)Tilt wheel is stuck. Major problem or is there something I can try before I see my mechanic? How involved is the issue?

2) I think my car has SLS (its a LWB), but I dont think it is working, Is there a reservoir somewhere I can check fluid level or does my car not have SLS? Related, I read there may be a EDS (Electronic Dampening System?). How do I know if my car has either?

3) I think the car needs shocks. Is this a reasonable assumption for a 22 yr old S320? Im guessing I should get the SLS or EDS fixed first IF I have it.

I have a few other questions but I will hope for some guidance on these first. Thank you in advance for any help you may give.

Kal El
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2016
Vehicle: 1994 S600 Coupe
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Steering wheel tilt and extend/retract is controlled by a box under the passenger side floorboard. It also controls the mirrors. Steering wheel issues are usually that box, but it can also be the switch. When you activate the switch, you should hear clicking coming from under the floorboard. If you hear clicking, it is the box. If you don't, it could be either. You should also hear clicking when you activate the mirror switch.

You could have either SLS or ADS. SLS is far more common. There is a reservoir under the left side plastic cover. You can determine what your car had from the factory by decoding the serial number on one of the websites in the stickies. If you have either SLS or ADS, a common problem is the rear accumulators going bad, needing to be changed. A search here will give you lots of info on changing them. When they go bad, the rear suspension essentially becomes solid, giving a bouncy ride. Mercedessource on YouTube has a series of videos on the SLS system. Well worth watching.
anziani likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
You are very kind to help. You said the reservoir is under the driver side plastic cover. Where is that cover on the driver side...in rear, under hood or trunk, or did you mean under/behind the body-side skirting?

Also, someone told me there was a problem with what they called "junk wiring" in the S-Class in the mid 90s. Would this apply to my 97 S320 ?

Thanks so much for your help. I owe you one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

The reservoir is driver's side, engine compartment, under the small cover at the front of the of the larger plastic engine bay cover.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:12 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
Location: Sacramento, California & El Dorado Hills, California, USA
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Good day, and welcome to the forum.

97 S320 is not known to have engine wiring problems, but... your steering colum is tied to the outside mirror fuse, and I can tell you maybe upto 99, but my 98 had mirror wiring problems; The fuse would blow on adjusting the mirrors, so you may have this. This may be a reason for the colum is not working for you too...

No SLS on these 320s just plain shocks. To service the low-side of the AC is a tank of hydraulic fluid under the right drivers side black plastic cover. if you had SLS.

As newbie, have you changed your rear heater tee as you blow that tee on the road, and you have under a minute to stop that engine. Change the tee with a actual Mercedes brand tee, or Rein Tee(Rein makes the MB tee) - No used or ebay/craiglist/offerup/etc...

The tee's are good for safely upto 70k-80k miles after that you are in the danger zone for failure... Here is the tee:

Read all about it...

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w14...lly-devil.html

Change this one too:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w14...ng-breaks.html

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/1408301696

Then read my posts here... I'm looking for that California to New York reliability every day, and that what it takes....

All the best,

Martin
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:26 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: '97 CL600
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Premium Member
And let me add to MAVA's post. Yes, change the "Tee" but also the small hoses attached to it. In my '97 the Tee was indestructible but the hoses were all puffed and ready to let loose. As MAVA says, you have only a minute or two to shut the engine down after loosing the coolant. In fact pay attention to anything MAVA says. He is a "fountain" of knowledge along with 3-4 other members here.
Anziani
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:42 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: M20
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Customary photos of your car are a must.

If your tilt steering, mirrors and seats arent functioning, its controlled by a module in the trunk.

Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by z168 View Post
Customary photos of your car are a must.

If your tilt steering, mirrors and seats arent functioning, its controlled by a module in the trunk.
Uh, no. Mirrors and steering wheel are controlled by a module under the passenger floorboard. Seats are controlled by a module attached to the bottom of each seat.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:26 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: M20
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jal1224 View Post
Uh, no. Mirrors and steering wheel are controlled by a module under the passenger floorboard. Seats are controlled by a module attached to the bottom of each seat.
Ive replaced both my MY94 600 and MY97 500. Both cases it was the module in the trunk. Are the trunk and floorboard modules supposed to work in tandem?

I only speak from experience so if you are armed with actual diagrams please educate me

Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by z168 View Post
Ive replaced both my MY94 600 and MY97 500. Both cases it was the module in the trunk. Are the trunk and floorboard modules supposed to work in tandem?

I only speak from experience so if you are armed with actual diagrams please educate me
System description, fault finding, component layout for the mirrors and steering column is here. The module involved is N32/9, under the passenger floorboard:

STAR TekInfo Mirrors/column

Same here for the seats. Modules N32/1 and N32/2 under the seats:

STAR TekInfo Seats

The module (N57) in the trunk controls the windows, sunroof, and portions of the central locking, and is described here:

STAR TekInfo Comfort module

Wiring diagrams for the W140 are here. Directions on how to use them have been posted several times so I won't repeat them here:

StarFinder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in