Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   W140 S-Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/)
-   -   Newbie needs a little direction,please (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/3026832-newbie-needs-little-direction-please.html)

Kal El 05-21-2019 02:49 PM

Newbie needs a little direction,please

Brand Newbie so please bear with me. I have a 97 S320 LWB and Im trying to debug the few problems it has. If anyone could give me a little direction I would be appreciative.

1)Tilt wheel is stuck. Major problem or is there something I can try before I see my mechanic? How involved is the issue?

2) I think my car has SLS (its a LWB), but I dont think it is working, Is there a reservoir somewhere I can check fluid level or does my car not have SLS? Related, I read there may be a EDS (Electronic Dampening System?). How do I know if my car has either?

3) I think the car needs shocks. Is this a reasonable assumption for a 22 yr old S320? Im guessing I should get the SLS or EDS fixed first IF I have it.

I have a few other questions but I will hope for some guidance on these first. Thank you in advance for any help you may give.

Kal El

jal1224 05-21-2019 04:00 PM

Steering wheel tilt and extend/retract is controlled by a box under the passenger side floorboard. It also controls the mirrors. Steering wheel issues are usually that box, but it can also be the switch. When you activate the switch, you should hear clicking coming from under the floorboard. If you hear clicking, it is the box. If you don't, it could be either. You should also hear clicking when you activate the mirror switch.

You could have either SLS or ADS. SLS is far more common. There is a reservoir under the left side plastic cover. You can determine what your car had from the factory by decoding the serial number on one of the websites in the stickies. If you have either SLS or ADS, a common problem is the rear accumulators going bad, needing to be changed. A search here will give you lots of info on changing them. When they go bad, the rear suspension essentially becomes solid, giving a bouncy ride. Mercedessource on YouTube has a series of videos on the SLS system. Well worth watching.

Kal El 05-22-2019 02:45 PM

You are very kind to help. You said the reservoir is under the driver side plastic cover. Where is that cover on the driver side...in rear, under hood or trunk, or did you mean under/behind the body-side skirting?

Also, someone told me there was a problem with what they called "junk wiring" in the S-Class in the mid 90s. Would this apply to my 97 S320 ?

Thanks so much for your help. I owe you one.

jal1224 05-22-2019 02:51 PM

The reservoir is driver's side, engine compartment, under the small cover at the front of the of the larger plastic engine bay cover.

MAVA 05-23-2019 08:12 AM

Good day, and welcome to the forum.

97 S320 is not known to have engine wiring problems, but... your steering colum is tied to the outside mirror fuse, and I can tell you maybe upto 99, but my 98 had mirror wiring problems; The fuse would blow on adjusting the mirrors, so you may have this. This may be a reason for the colum is not working for you too...

No SLS on these 320s just plain shocks. To service the low-side of the AC is a tank of hydraulic fluid under the right drivers side black plastic cover. if you had SLS.

As newbie, have you changed your rear heater tee as you blow that tee on the road, and you have under a minute to stop that engine. Change the tee with a actual Mercedes brand tee, or Rein Tee(Rein makes the MB tee) - No used or ebay/craiglist/offerup/etc...

The tee's are good for safely upto 70k-80k miles after that you are in the danger zone for failure... Here is the tee:

Read all about it...

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w14...lly-devil.html

Change this one too:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w14...ng-breaks.html

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/1408301696

Then read my posts here... I'm looking for that California to New York reliability every day, and that what it takes....

All the best,

Martin

anziani 05-23-2019 08:26 AM

And let me add to MAVA's post. Yes, change the "Tee" but also the small hoses attached to it. In my '97 the Tee was indestructible but the hoses were all puffed and ready to let loose. As MAVA says, you have only a minute or two to shut the engine down after loosing the coolant. In fact pay attention to anything MAVA says. He is a "fountain" of knowledge along with 3-4 other members here.
Anziani

z168 05-24-2019 06:42 AM

Customary photos of your car are a must.

If your tilt steering, mirrors and seats arent functioning, its controlled by a module in the trunk.

jal1224 05-24-2019 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z168 (Post 17795088)
Customary photos of your car are a must.

If your tilt steering, mirrors and seats arent functioning, its controlled by a module in the trunk.

Uh, no. Mirrors and steering wheel are controlled by a module under the passenger floorboard. Seats are controlled by a module attached to the bottom of each seat.

z168 05-24-2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jal1224 (Post 17795098)
Uh, no. Mirrors and steering wheel are controlled by a module under the passenger floorboard. Seats are controlled by a module attached to the bottom of each seat.

Ive replaced both my MY94 600 and MY97 500. Both cases it was the module in the trunk. Are the trunk and floorboard modules supposed to work in tandem?

I only speak from experience so if you are armed with actual diagrams please educate me

jal1224 05-24-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z168 (Post 17795378)
Ive replaced both my MY94 600 and MY97 500. Both cases it was the module in the trunk. Are the trunk and floorboard modules supposed to work in tandem?

I only speak from experience so if you are armed with actual diagrams please educate me

System description, fault finding, component layout for the mirrors and steering column is here. The module involved is N32/9, under the passenger floorboard:

STAR TekInfo Mirrors/column

Same here for the seats. Modules N32/1 and N32/2 under the seats:

STAR TekInfo Seats

The module (N57) in the trunk controls the windows, sunroof, and portions of the central locking, and is described here:

STAR TekInfo Comfort module

Wiring diagrams for the W140 are here. Directions on how to use them have been posted several times so I won't repeat them here:

StarFinder