Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1999 S600 & 1999 S500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Rock Chips and scratches

I love my car and will never sell it. It is willed to my 8 year old Grandson and hopefully he will have at least 25+ years before he can claim it.

I know that one day I may need to repaint the car but before I spend $6K plus on a quality paint job, I am thinking of getting the rock chips and scratches touched-up. Does any one have experience with the touch up artists and rock chips? I want to protect the car from rust. I know that touch-ups will be noticeable but figure it is better than the rock chips and rust. I still have the original paint and the shine is great. I keep it under cover at work and at home. (Also helps with the leather).

My question to the forum is if anyone has experience with the professional touch-up artists that the car dealers use. Should I try it an maybe postpone the re-spray for 10? years? What say ye?

I have one small rust spot around the right rear tail light, but that is a different question. May have a restorer do that as a separate issue.

1999 S600 - 4 place
1999 S500 Grand Edition-Sold to good home!
1999 S500 - Deceased
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:44 PM

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 1995 Mercedes S420, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Yeah, it really depends on the quality of the guy doing the work. I've seen 'professional' jobs that look about as good as I would have done myself, and I've seen some that were much better.

It really comes down to how many chips you want filled in. If you only have a few I'd recommend DIY, because as you said they'll never be 100% perfect anyway and there's no real reason to spend the extra money for a professional. If you have more than just a few, maybe it's worth looking into a pro.

For a frame of reference, this is Larry from AMMO and he's pretty much the best in the business. I'm confident nobody else will give you a better job than he would, and even his touch-ups aren't perfect. For my money I'd DIY unless it was too big of job for me to handle.

quakercity likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:05 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
A good touch up guy will do wonders. The guy that comes to our dealer uses an air brush like a talented artist uses a brush. Surely in the city you can find a good one, but be ready to pay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in