post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 1997 S600 and 1997 CL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Wheel Alighnment with Self-Leveling System

I have a 1997 S500 Coupe, and i plan to do a wheel alignment. Does the wheel alignment need to be performed with the engine running, as this keeps the Self-Leveling System active ? When the engine is off, i assume the rear lowers itself, and only when the engine is turned on the rear raises itself to the pre-set height. Also, i have just recently replaced the rear actuators and the rear struts, and have noticed that the rear is a bit higher than it used to be. What could be the cause ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2016
Vehicle: 1994 S600 Coupe
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkS600 View Post
I have a 1997 S500 Coupe, and i plan to do a wheel alignment. Does the wheel alignment need to be performed with the engine running, as this keeps the Self-Leveling System active ? When the engine is off, i assume the rear lowers itself, and only when the engine is turned on the rear raises itself to the pre-set height. Also, i have just recently replaced the rear actuators and the rear struts, and have noticed that the rear is a bit higher than it used to be. What could be the cause ?
Unless your system is leaking, the height shouldn't change between engine running or not.

Assuming the self leveling valve was disconnected to bleed the system per factory procedures, it might not have been adjusted to where it was before. Whoever did it should have carefully marked the original position. Measure between the four rubber jack pads on the belly pan and the ground. If all four are equal, the height is set correctly. If the rear pads are more than maybe 3/16" higher or lower than the front, you need to adjust the self leveling valve accordingly. Check on level ground and bounce the front and rear up and down several times before measuring.

There is a factory procedure to check the ride height, but it requires special tools no one has, and is pretty esoteric to boot. It doesn't directly measure anything. Setting the jack pads equal takes care of the situation is the best we can do.

Watch the YouTube playlist that mercedessource did on the SLS. Ours is not identical, but it is close.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...68r59O9aIsWyGg

Jon
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jal1224 View Post
Unless your system is leaking, the height shouldn't change between engine running or not.

Assuming the self leveling valve was disconnected to bleed the system per factory procedures, it might not have been adjusted to where it was before. Whoever did it should have carefully marked the original position. Measure between the four rubber jack pads on the belly pan and the ground. If all four are equal, the height is set correctly. If the rear pads are more than maybe 3/16" higher or lower than the front, you need to adjust the self leveling valve accordingly. Check on level ground and bounce the front and rear up and down several times before measuring.

There is a factory procedure to check the ride height, but it requires special tools no one has, and is pretty esoteric to boot. It doesn't directly measure anything. Setting the jack pads equal takes care of the situation is the best we can do.

Watch the YouTube playlist that mercedessource did on the SLS. Ours is not identical, but it is close.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...68r59O9aIsWyGg

Jon
How would i know if the system is leaking ? Both rear SLS Struts and Accumulators are new. The original position of the self leveling valve was marked in red from the factory, and it was re-tightened in the same position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Does the height change after you shut off the engine? Are there any fluid leaks?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
I will check when i turn off the engine. I do not see any Hydrolic Fluid on the floor, so i assume there is no leak, unless there is a leak and i do not see it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Exclamation

Here are a few pictures of both my rear tires. It looks to me a bit high. My question is if i do the wheel alignment first, and i adjust later the height of the SLS, will it affect the wheel alignment, such as camber and toe ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3209.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	2491782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3210.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	2491784  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

You need to measure at the rubber jack points. Coupes naturally set a little tail high with the rubber jack points at equal height.

Yes, ride height will affect the rear wheel alignment.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
So you think i should lower first a bit the rear SLS, and the get the wheel adjustment ?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkS600 View Post
So you think i should lower first a bit the rear SLS, and the get the wheel adjustment ?
For the third time, do the measurements, and ONLY adjust if they are off. That is the only thing that will tell you the correct information. You can't tell anything from the wheel wells.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in