post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1995 S500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Replacing Ignition Control Module

I am going to replace the ignition control module in my 1995 s500, as the existing one has a heat related issue. It will start fine when cold, but will go about 10 - 15 miles and fail. Wait for it to cool off, or put a bag of ice on the module and it will start and go again.
I ordered a used module and some heat sink compound, cleaner and prep and am going to install it when it comes ina day or two.
It seems like a pretty simple job, but am wondering if there are any special procedures or things I need to look out for before I start the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:02 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2015
Vehicle: 2001 E 430; 1995 S500
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
So what is the ignition control module (is this a fancy name for the ignition switch?) and where is it located? Picture?
James
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:12 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
Location: Sacramento, California & El Dorado Hills, California, USA
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchisman View Post
I am going to replace the ignition control module in my 1995 s500, as the existing one has a heat related issue. It will start fine when cold, but will go about 10 - 15 miles and fail. Wait for it to cool off, or put a bag of ice on the module and it will start and go again.
I ordered a used module and some heat sink compound, cleaner and prep and am going to install it when it comes ina day or two.
It seems like a pretty simple job, but am wondering if there are any special procedures or things I need to look out for before I start the process.
Welcome to the forum,

You want to the thermal compound on both surfaces, so it is semi-translucent. The goal is to fill the microscopic grains in the metal as the goal is to make it thermally CONDUCTIVE, and having it just ooozz out is dead-wrong as the heat will not transfer to the metal inner fender wall. Both surfaces must not have positive imperfections, old compound. Clean the surfaces with a solvent. Apply the compound with your finger-Use a glove. I hope you are not using the Chinese compound as it clumps like melted cheese. Buy the Thermal Alloy stuff/ AAVID/ MG-Chemical, or GC electronics from the Maa N Paa electronic parts stores is good stuff. If you squeeze some out of a tube, it appears to have a clear like liquid. Clean that clear stuff off the tube. The good stuff comes in tube not in a syringe like the stuff for PC's comes which is bad stuff....Do not use thermal contact glue either. Fry's Electronics in your area sell the PC type and the good stuff in chemical section... But........ Jameco Electronics in Belmont on 101 Hwy on the Oracle side of the freeway. They sell the Aavid stuff in the yellow tube, and the GC stuff.

Thermal compound | Jameco Electronics

James,

This module is replaced as needed on a car, some cars never need one, and some will need it in their lifetime.. This module can vary in price from $500 to $2000 for the new part alone for 92-95 W140s, and the S600's have two-one on each fender wall... Here is what it looks like, and on American cars it is on the driver side under the plastic paneling along the fender under the hood.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ignition module for V8.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	2113530  
anziani likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 410.000 km
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
i was told by an expert who repairs these modules in germany that SIEMENS are much better then BOSCH. so if you have a chance pick the Siemens. Literally only few of them fails.
MAVA likes this.

All I wish for Christmas is a smooth idle.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:59 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the explanation and picture, MAVA. I never heard of this part before; I wonder if my '91 E430 has the same "arrangement" and part? Something else to hit your bank account; it goes on and on. It's a good thing I really like my S500, because if I were even lukewarm about the car, it would already be gone.
James
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:08 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Vehicle: 93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by samosali View Post
i was told by an expert who repairs these modules in germany that SIEMENS are much better then BOSCH. so if you have a chance pick the Siemens. Literally only few of them fails.
Samo,

Good to know. I must have about dozen or so of these modules in my posesion since I'm a Power Electronics Designer by education these modules and the thermal grease are up my alley. I thought they could be cracked open, and fixed. I will play doctor with a few later, yet I have opted to fix the the easier modules with the exposed power transistors like the engine management module, or the EGAS that drives the throttle bodies on these 92-95 cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by james sharp View Post
Thanks for the explanation and picture, MAVA. I never heard of this part before; I wonder if my '91 E430 has the same "arrangement" and part? Something else to hit your bank account; it goes on and on. It's a good thing I really like my S500, because if I were even lukewarm about the car, it would already be gone.
James
James,

You are welcome, yes your 91 should have one module somewhere. Now what Samosali says is they can be fixed. It is worth to fix the $2000 unit(More incentive to get it fixed). What happens with time is the vacuum nipple breaks( the round nipple just located on the lower right of the white lettering). I think MercS600 broke a nipple on one of the two modules on his S600 a few years back.

A past member named Bayhas(he had a W140) is a super smart man, and keen on engine management wrote a very simple procedure(or something to identify) to identify a bad operating ignition module. I think he wrote it on the R129 forum, but I need to try to find it...

Hope it helps,

Martin
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:14 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: n/a
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVA View Post
James,

You are welcome, yes your 91 should have one module somewhere. Now what Samosali says is they can be fixed.
Martin, James:

The E430 (w210), if I am not mistaken came out in 1995 and was produced until 2003. Jim's car must be '01, not '91.

As such, it will not have a distributor and ignition control module (EZL).

His S500 is a MY '95 and must have the EZL pictured in post #3.

Best regards,
Steve
MAVA likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:25 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
James,

Like Steve said if it is not a 91 it will not have this module... but is a W210

Martin
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:47 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

My boo-boo. My E430 is an '01. Thanks for all the information.
James
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by james sharp View Post
My boo-boo. My E430 is an '01. Thanks for all the information.
James
James,

Your 2001 has an ignition module per cylinder, and each cylinder has TWO spark plugs for your M113 engine, and each ignition module is priced right around $50 to $100. Those ignition modules last and last as my 2002 E320 is working just fine at 193,000 miles, and I have never had to replace any of those modules..

The ignition module also houses the coil(which a coil is a step-up transformer with a primary winding and a secondary winding, and this secondary winding will have a turns ratio 100 or more times greater than the primary winding of 12v to get that voltage to spark across the spark plug).

The modules are separate, but in the diagram they are bunched-up(6 and 7). The example is on M112 six cylinder, but it the same on V8, and the V8 just has two more modules. The modules are mounted outside the valve cover, and are clearly visible.

The picture is what the module looks like on the upper left.

All the best,

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ignition Module_.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	2114018  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in