1999 S600: What to watch out for? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: '95 S600 55k mi; '09 E63 AMG Wagon; '05 E55 AMG Wagon; '09 E63 AMG Wagon; '06 E350 Wagon; '99 S420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1999 S600: What to watch out for?

I previously owned a low-mile 1999 s420 for many years and absolutely loved the car. I sold it in 2010, unfortunately, but am back in the market for another 98-99 W140.

I've found an S600 that I'm really interested in, but wanted to ask the opinion of other s600 owners about reliability & repairs on the v12 before I make a move on it.

Its a 1999 S600 w/85k miles (2 owners). The car is in great shape aesthetically (for its age) but I'm afraid it might be a ticking time-bomb in the repairs dept. The current owner has had it for 8 years (since 48k miles) but does not have specific service records on the car...this is the part that worries me the most. Although he's performed regular oil changes, replaced the starter, water pump and done some work on the suspension (he said it was problematic in the past but had it addressed using s500 suspension parts), he apparently hasn't taken it to a dealer for regular service intervals. I'm a little wary of this, but love the car...

What should I look at specifically when I go to inspect the car?

I will definitely take it in for a PPI, but it would be helpful to have a checklist of items to review/inspect when I first see it.

Thanks in advance,
R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 03:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: '98 S300 Turbodiesel
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
You will have to be looking out for everything.

And I mean EVERYTHING.

Since you had another W140, let me remind you of the weak spots of any W140, never mind the S600.

- Air conditioning evaporator

- 722.6 Transmission, especially if that K2 bushing goes "boom"!

- Steering box

- Power steering pump

- Suspension parts... lot's of them

- Trim parts ... oh the trim parts

- Electronics

- wire harnesses...

- Cost of tires

- Cost of fuel

- Cost of everything
MAVA and petcern like this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: '95 S600 55k mi; '09 E63 AMG Wagon; '05 E55 AMG Wagon; '09 E63 AMG Wagon; '06 E350 Wagon; '99 S420
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply.
I'm worried about that transmission...but at only 85k miles, do you think its relatively safe to assume there are still a few good years left on it? I know he replaced the starter, water pump and did some rear suspension work...but that's really it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 05:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 65 220SEb, 97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Garage
First of all, sit down, let your breathing and pulse slow down, and relax.

A number of the items on the previous list don't apply to your car, most importantly the wiring harness and AC evaporator issues. These were resolved long before your car was built, in between the 1995-96 model year and "facelift" that took place at that time.

I have two W140s with over 270k on each, both of which have the original transmissions and K2 bushings. That's not to say your's won't fail, but the odds are small as long as you care for the car properly.

Now that you're back to reality on this, do the one and only thing you should ALWAYS do when buying a used car of any kind:

Get a pre-purchase inspection done by someone who is familiar with this model car. That can be the local Mercedes dealer or a trusted independent mechanic. Due to the age of the car I would probably look for an independent that works on older Mercedes - the likelihood that the dealer will be that familiar with a car that's over 15 years old is pretty slim.

This will cost you around $200 and provide an "eyes wide open" assessment of the vehicle by a third party. It does some wonderful things for you, such as:

Gives you a clear idea of the current condition of the car and any possible looming or lurking issues that might be showing up; and,

Provides some serious negotiating leverage if there are issues and you want to go forward with the purchase.

You should have no problem risking $200 to avoid a potential money pit or to know what you'll be buying and what to expect. Do consider that a PPI is not the end-all to be all, as things can still break a week later - this is a used car. However, it gives you a really good idea of the condition and what to expect, along with allowing you to make an informed decision about the purchase without relying on the seller's statements or emotion. It can also save you from buying a car that's a real black hole when it comes to costs.

Oh - if the seller won't let you get the car inspected - run away as if your hair was on fire.

Dan
Merc-S600, anziani, 4liter and 2 others like this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 05:44 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 2015 S550 Sport ; 1999 S500 ; 1999 CL600 **RIP**
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
If you do get it (and you should), I am parting out my 1999 CL600 should you need any parts that might be compatible (from coupe to sedan)!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Dan.
That's some very helpful perspective.
I have a great MB mechanic on Long Island that I will seek out for the PPI, provided the owner let's me do so.

Much appreciated,
R
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:07 AM
W140 Moderator

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: "CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
NYC , I only posted within this post yesterday ,see if it can give you some more help . https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...take-leap.html .
If this car you like has a good paint & a nice clean unmarked interior , its a serious car to look at , as I mention over & over again ,mechanical repairs are not a big issue until you need to change for a new engine like I did ( but I knew before purchasing mine ) , the one job I hate on 140's is the evaporator leak , look into that more then anything else ,struts can be changed easy by yourself all around the car ,changing bushes on the suspension arms etc are more of problem because you need a press or the trick if you do it your self (there is a trick without using a press ) .
Sometimes when owners of this type car don't have the service booklets or records ,they did all the work themselves obviously like me for example , the only things I cant do are things like wheel alignment or other mechanical work were there is a need of a specific machine like AC refill etc .
Working on a V12 engine is fairly easy ,don't be scared you learn as you go .
Check the small narrow space out between the radiator and fan ,once you pull up the cross members 3 screws on each side ,the radiator moves forward giving you some space ,remove it completely & that space is huge giving you access to water pump , steering pump , fan clutch & everything in front there including engine belt .Changing spark plugs is a breeze in compared to others ,everything think else is the same like any other w140 .
If you have a black interior ,parts are all over e'bay for that colour combo ,Tan/Beige & lighter colours except typical common grey is more harder to find interior parts for .
Read the link above now and what colour is this car & interior ? .

LWB250 Dan above gave you a real good advise ,I like it .

*My-600SEL-V12*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"VENI-VIDI-VICI"
"I came-I saw-I conquered".
Driving a W140 & everything else feels like is standing still .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everything you like to know about the W140's
>>>> "
" <<<< .

==============

:
==============
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 02:28 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: '98 S300 Turbodiesel
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
First of all, sit down, let your breathing and pulse slow down, and relax.

A number of the items on the previous list don't apply to your car, most importantly the wiring harness and AC evaporator issues. These were resolved long before your car was built, in between the 1995-96 model year and "facelift" that took place at that time.

I have two W140s with over 270k on each, both of which have the original transmissions and K2 bushings. That's not to say your's won't fail, but the odds are small as long as you care for the car properly.

Now that you're back to reality on this, do the one and only thing you should ALWAYS do when buying a used car of any kind:

Get a pre-purchase inspection done by someone who is familiar with this model car. That can be the local Mercedes dealer or a trusted independent mechanic. Due to the age of the car I would probably look for an independent that works on older Mercedes - the likelihood that the dealer will be that familiar with a car that's over 15 years old is pretty slim.

This will cost you around $200 and provide an "eyes wide open" assessment of the vehicle by a third party. It does some wonderful things for you, such as:

Gives you a clear idea of the current condition of the car and any possible looming or lurking issues that might be showing up; and,

Provides some serious negotiating leverage if there are issues and you want to go forward with the purchase.

You should have no problem risking $200 to avoid a potential money pit or to know what you'll be buying and what to expect. Do consider that a PPI is not the end-all to be all, as things can still break a week later - this is a used car. However, it gives you a really good idea of the condition and what to expect, along with allowing you to make an informed decision about the purchase without relying on the seller's statements or emotion. It can also save you from buying a car that's a real black hole when it comes to costs.

Oh - if the seller won't let you get the car inspected - run away as if your hair was on fire.

Dan

I'm sorry but your wrong!

And I have a 98 car (your 99)

Evaporator is still an issue and wiring harness is still an issue, not because of biodegradable materials but because of It's age.

My car is a diesel, and I had already to change some parts of the harness.

The evaporator issue was never resolved during the W140 production. Later cars just don't suffer so much because they are younger.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 06:39 AM

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 1995 Mercedes S420, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC140 View Post
Thanks Dan.
That's some very helpful perspective.
I have a great MB mechanic on Long Island that I will seek out for the PPI, provided the owner let's me do so.

Much appreciated,
R
Do you go to Willy in Great Neck?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Merc -
The car is blue/tan. My favorite color combo and I've never seen another 1999 S600 in that combination.

My mechanic is Jeff at Ernst foreign car. Does a lot of vintage MB restorations including a lot of pre-1972 600s. Great guy...did a wonderful job with my 99 S420 previously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in