post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 410.000 km
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Camshaft adjuster & timing chain removal; need advice

I am slowly preparing for a final act in repairing the rough idle. I suspect my left camshaft adjuster is bad. few months ago 12 VDC on a solenoid (at idle) slightly decreased idle quality but few days ago the same action did not have any effect at all. So it seems the adjuster died completely. the solenoid has 5,5 ohm resistance, exactly the same as the right one. I will swap the solenoids to confirm that they are both ok before i will dig more deeply in the car.

I suspect that only a spring (not the conical no. 14a one but the one closer to the camshaft no. 17) which controls the piston (to open/close oil flow through the cam) is broken. Anyway, i will have to remove the adjuster. Questions are:

1) is releasing of chain tensioner enough to remove the chain from the left sprockets (of inlet & outlet camshaft)? So, is it enough to remove only left valve cover?

2) is there any trick which will enable me to remove the chain from left camshafts?

3) I predict that once the chain is removed, the adjuster can be removed easily or I am wrong?

thanks for your suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adjuster1.jpg
Views:	4718
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	740153  
Attached Images

All I wish for Christmas is a smooth idle.

Last edited by samosali; 01-19-2014 at 02:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 600SEL
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Here is a procedure from WIS for you. Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cam adjuster.pdf (256.9 KB, 652 views)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Here is a procedure from WIS for you. Hope it helps.
many thanks. this really helped me to understand the procedure. the point is that i have to remove right exhaust camshaft sprocket in order to remove timing chain from all sprockets, even those on left bank. It is logical because once the chain tensioner is loosen the next element in direction of rotation is right exhaust camshaft sprocket. as well known, the anticlockwise rotation of crankshaft is not allowed, so there is no way to transfer chain's laxity (after tensioner is removed) onto the left exhaust camshaft sprocket. This detail is not so clearly described in alldata.diy ... no surprise at all.

Thanks again. i will do the test and eventual adjuster replacement/repair in the beginning of the spring i believe.

Last edited by samosali; 01-19-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:58 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

No, if you only need to replace left adjuster remove left exhaust sprocket. Obviously, put #1 cylinder 45 degrees before TDC ignition and remove tensioner. In this position you can rotate all cams either direction without risking valves contact with pistons. But you don't really need to rotate cams.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
Location: Sacramento, California & El Dorado Hills, California, USA
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Samosali,

Here are some great threads that may help. Mercedes Mechanix(Dutch) posted. He worked for Mercedes in Germany, Moved to Florida, and is now back in Germany..

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...engine-v8.html

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...ut-your-t.html

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...-119-97-a.html

Hope it helps,

Martin
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
No, if you only need to replace left adjuster remove left exhaust sprocket. Obviously, put #1 cylinder 45 degrees before TDC ignition and remove tensioner. In this position you can rotate all cams either direction without risking valves contact with pistons. But you don't really need to rotate cams.
interesting. i would think that removing chain tensioner will not give any laxity in area from crankshaft gear to left exhaust sprocket unless i turn crankshaft counterclockwise (which is not a clever idea I believe). But anyway, I will have in mind your good news. Thanks.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Samosali,

Here are some great threads that may help. Mercedes Mechanix(Dutch) posted. He worked for Mercedes in Germany, Moved to Florida, and is now back in Germany..

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...engine-v8.html

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...ut-your-t.html

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...-119-97-a.html
Nice, thanks. I actually forgot these articles. I have read two of these but I do not recall the first one. I think i am armoured now to start the project when the temperatures here will be over 15 C. In worst case I will need several days to finish the job.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
I found this in the first article by mercedes Mechanix:

Quote:
GOOD RULE OF THUMB..... when as facing the cam adjuster(s) from the front of engine... ensure the cam(s) are pinned (all in center 6.5mm hole) and the cam adjuster is rotated full CW before setting the "TIGHT" chain upon the gear teeth! When veiwing the cam... the cam is now fully retarded with respect to the cam adjuster and chain in place!
Now I am confused. I thought that reterded position of a cam is when it is turned fully counter clockwise when facing the engine from front end of a car. Did The Mechanicx make a typo or his description is awkward .... or I am wrong? Boy, I do not like words in mechanical engineering where one picture tells more and more accurate than 100 pages of text.

Last edited by samosali; 01-20-2014 at 12:36 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 08:01 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

His description is correct. When the chain is installed you turn cams CCW to retarded position and pin them. He is talking about installing chain, so cams are pined, and the adjuster turned CW. This will put cams in fully retarded position relative to the adjuster.

You remove the tensioner, and then unscrew 3 bolts holding exhaust sprocket. This will give you enough slack to work on the adjuster. You have to replace 3 bolts holding sprockets. These bolts are one time use.

Make sure to pin cams and mark chain position on all sprockets before removing chain tensioner.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
His description is correct. When the chain is installed you turn cams CCW to retarded position and pin them. He is talking about installing chain, so cams are pined, and the adjuster turned CW. This will put cams in fully retarded position relative to the adjuster.

You remove the tensioner, and then unscrew 3 bolts holding exhaust sprocket. This will give you enough slack to work on the adjuster. You have to replace 3 bolts holding sprockets. These bolts are one time use.

Make sure to pin cams and mark chain position on all sprockets before removing chain tensioner.
Ok, "the adjuster" is actually the sprocket+chain in his text. And my photo above shows correct situation.

I will remove both valve covers and pin all 4 camshafts, as well I will mark sprockets and chain. Then i will loose the chain tensioner and then i will work only on left bank like you suggested. i noticed from your pdf file that i have to replace the bolts. i will replace also the conical spring. I hope the adjuster is fine and that only the oval spring is broken.

thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in