Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   W140 S-Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/)
-   -   35mm lowering springs and shims ??? (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1799817-35mm-lowering-springs-shims.html)

Joflewbyu2 11-01-2013 07:36 PM

35mm lowering springs and shims ???
 
I have RennTech 50-5000 (Apex) 35 mm lowering springs. Plan on installing them when I install my 19" wheels and tires 255/40 fr and 275/40 rr take offs from a W221. My Benz is a S420 WITHOUT any auto leveling suspension or added weight options in rear. Up front is light weight small V8 which I assume is the lightest engine in U.S. produced W140 models. Lighter than the larger 12 cyl and the straight 6 cyl engines as well as the larger V8. Stock shims are 13 mm front and 18mm rear. What shims should I go with? Same as stock, 13mm, 18mm, 23mm all away around. Please give your set up detail and feedback. Much appreciated.

Jayare 11-02-2013 12:32 AM

437 Attachment(s)
There's no weight difference between the 4.2 and 5L M119's. Trial and error on the spring pads. Start with the stock pads and if the result doesn't suit your taste, then adjust accordingly.

Joflewbyu2 11-02-2013 03:46 AM

I believe you are wrong. The 94 S420 does not have power rear seats, heated rear seat, SLS, charcoal A/C filter, and ASR that all add weight and came standard on a 94 500 along with a heavier engine - larger bore and longer stroke for larger pistons and longer connecting rods times 8. There's definitely a weight difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayare (Post 6629922)
There's no weight difference between the 4.2 and 5L M119's. Trial and error on the spring pads. Start with the stock pads and if the result doesn't suit your taste, then adjust accordingly.


nathanD.rector 11-02-2013 04:32 AM

love to see your photos when done

Joflewbyu2 11-03-2013 07:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is with the new wheels before the RennTech 35mm lowering springs.

nathanD.rector 11-03-2013 10:36 AM

nice wheels

Snipersking 04-24-2019 11:38 AM

People my car suffered a very stiff ride, the shocks were replaced, other suspension parts has no play at all, I suspect the shims are gone hard. My question is how much does shims affect ride quality and isolation from road and I attempted to replace all four but the a mechanic said it has nothing to do with ride quality, am very confused. Please help

Note: strange thing I noticed when I lift the car in the air and bring it back down it become smother !!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jal1224 04-24-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snipersking (Post 17766392)
People my car suffered a very stiff ride, the shocks were replaced, other suspension parts has no play at all, I suspect the shims are gone hard. My question is how much does shims affect ride quality and isolation from road and I attempted to replace all four but the a mechanic said it has nothing to do with ride quality, am very confused. Please help

Note: strange thing I noticed when I lift the car in the air and bring it back down it become smother !!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What model, what suspension? Conventional, SLS, ADS?
The shims have very little effect on ride. They mainly fine tune ride height by using different thicknesses

Snipersking 04-24-2019 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jal1224 (Post 17766544)
What model, what suspension? Conventional, SLS, ADS?
The shims have very little effect on ride. They mainly fine tune ride height by using different thicknesses



S320 1997 Conventional


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

syljua 04-24-2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joflewbyu2 (Post 6630434)
I believe you are wrong.

No, he stated that there are no weight difference between the M119 engines, and
I think thats close to true. The rods are actually the same length, so the increased sweep
volume I guess must come from wider throw on the crank, and perhaps taller deck or
bigger chamber in the head.
Also take into consideration the engine block material removed to make the wider bore (0.5litre of alu:) ).

More measurement here;
http://www.w124performance.com/docs/...ment_specs.txt

The total empty weight of a S420 vs S500 is that the S420 is 10kg lighter (1990kg vs 2000kg);
https://mb-w140.de

br,
syljua


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.