W140 Classifieds FS & WTB :: - Page 72 - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #711 of 849 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: '82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
Location: West Palm Beach, Fl
Posts: 1,532
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
You can pick up the affected parts from a junk yard for literally a few hundred dollars. Now that w140’s are in abundance in the yards, you might even luck out finding the one with the matching color. No way 9k repair job.
Good luck!
GreenT likes this.
roadhouse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #712 of 849 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:38 PM
Moderator
Outstanding Contributor
 
MAVA's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
Location: Sacramento, California & El Dorado Hills, California, USA
Posts: 7,861
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpasmith View Post
It's with a heavy heart that I list my W140 for sale, but after 6 years across England, Scotland, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria and New South Wales, it's time to let her go.

The good:

- She's a first year 600, which means the full 408 Hp when running*

- c. 55,000 miles/88,000 Kms

- Cat-free exhaust. She's a UK import, so will be able to stay this way.

- Pearlgrau paint in OK condition. Usual small scratches and dings, commensurate with age and daily driver status.

- 8-holes, again in OK condition with 2 new/2 part worn tyres

- Recently refurbished, non-ADS suspension

- Stunning grey velour interior (probably the only 600 so equipped in Australia) in superb condition

- Rebuilt BOSE amplifier, original Becker Mexico head unit and auxiliary input

- New MAF metres and under-hood wiring

- Exceptionally clean and tidy both underneath, and in the cabin.

- All cabin features working, including soft close

- Invoices for extensive work dating back 5 years.

- Originally owned by Dubai House in London. She has a twin, still in the UK, that was ordered at the same time with a leather interior.

- One of the most majestic, enigmatic driving experiences you'll ever have.

*The bad:

- The passenger bank of 6 cylinders will need tearing down and, at a minimum, the cam sprocket and valves replacing. The cam tore loose from the sprocket and the valves collided with the pistons.

**Please note that the car is currently not running**

The car is currently at MB Spares in Canberra but will be relocated in the Canberra region in the next day or two. I'm based in Sydney.

Asking price: $4000 or make me an offer.

VIN number: WDB1400572A038628

Engine number: 12098022007032

Cheers,

Drew
Drew,

Really, fix it. You can find an engine in the USA for under $1000 USD, and $400 in freight to the land of OZ...

I wish our cars had those kind of seat covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpart View Post
So pissed at myself. I was momentarily distracted to look to see where the ambulance sound was coming from, when the car in front stopped suddenly. Unfortunately I did not manage to stop in time. Damage to hood, R fender, bumper, headlamp, side lamp, and wiper motor. Insurance appraiser came to take a look and estimated $9k to repair, totaling my car. He has not yet provided me with a valuation on the car.

She is a 1999 S420 with 120k miles Black on Black. Mechanical condition flawless ( even close assist works), Body excellent (until Wednesday), paint glossy black, interior leather - front drivers with some wear in the usual places, front pass seat and rear seats excellent condition. No rips or tears or scuffs.

Questions: What is a fair value. Not sure insurer will take into account all the intangibles (19 yo car with 120,000 miles).

What should I do?

Option 1 Take the money and look for another w140.
Option 2 Take the money minus the salvage price, and keep her to repair (junk yards, parts cars, eBay etc).

Attaching pics. The flecks on the paint are bugs I swatted driving back from Houston.
Honestly those moments happen, but the past is the past... I would fix it-Fender/Hood/Grill/Headlamp should set you back a few hundred at the junk yard...

Row52 | 1992-1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

As a painter in younger days, black is the easiest to match and blend....Paint may be 400, or DIY it too-Yes it is humanly possible

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...l#post12372041

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...l#post14906881

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...l#post14906929

Martin
GreenT likes this.

Last edited by MAVA; 05-26-2018 at 07:40 PM.
MAVA is offline  
post #713 of 849 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 10:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
GreenT's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500 - 1986 420SEL
Location: Floriduh
Posts: 60,737
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 10522 Post(s)
Agreed with all the above. It is not like they made millions of them... every salvageable W140 should be salvaged, imo.
MAVA and JLCampbell like this.
GreenT is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #714 of 849 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 09:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
LWB250's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 65 220SEb, 97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 6,100
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Garage
Free for Cost Of Shipping - 1994 Owner's Manuals/Leather Portfolio

Out of my now defunct and probably Coke cans 1994 S420.

It's all the books and the leather thing with the zipper. Can't bear to toss it, so if someone is willing to cover the postal fees it's yours for the taking.

Dan
Joe-V12 likes this.
LWB250 is offline  
post #715 of 849 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 06:08 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 2002 E320 4matic, 1985 300D
Location: Montréal, QC
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
Out of my now defunct and probably Coke cans 1994 S420.

It's all the books and the leather thing with the zipper. Can't bear to toss it, so if someone is willing to cover the postal fees it's yours for the taking.

Dan
PM sent...
yvesm91 is offline  
post #716 of 849 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 06:44 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Snipersking's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: W140 1998 S320
Location: Iraq
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpart View Post
So pissed at myself. I was momentarily distracted to look to see where the ambulance sound was coming from, when the car in front stopped suddenly. Unfortunately I did not manage to stop in time. Damage to hood, R fender, bumper, headlamp, side lamp, and wiper motor. Insurance appraiser came to take a look and estimated $9k to repair, totaling my car. He has not yet provided me with a valuation on the car.

She is a 1999 S420 with 120k miles Black on Black. Mechanical condition flawless ( even close assist works), Body excellent (until Wednesday), paint glossy black, interior leather - front drivers with some wear in the usual places, front pass seat and rear seats excellent condition. No rips or tears or scuffs.

Questions: What is a fair value. Not sure insurer will take into account all the intangibles (19 yo car with 120,000 miles).

What should I do?

Option 1 Take the money and look for another w140.
Option 2 Take the money minus the salvage price, and keep her to repair (junk yards, parts cars, eBay etc).

Attaching pics. The flecks on the paint are bugs I swatted driving back from Houston.


Really!!! Man it’s an easy fix, how the hell insurance total a car with broken headlight


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MAVA likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Snipersking is offline  
post #717 of 849 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
LWB250's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 65 220SEb, 97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 6,100
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Garage
SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
Out of my now defunct and probably Coke cans 1994 S420.

It's all the books and the leather thing with the zipper. Can't bear to toss it, so if someone is willing to cover the postal fees it's yours for the taking.

Dan
This has been sold.

Dan
LWB250 is offline  
post #718 of 849 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 02:28 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle: 1994 S500 and S320 W140
Location: USA
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Hello community,
I need your help, I'm just about done sourcing parts for the 99 500 coupe with the exception of the outside, left and right mirrors. I need some help finding them don't care what color. I need the entire housing anyone have a line on a pair? If you do please PM me, smoke signals, Morris code, tell someone who knows someone that might tell someone on this site. We all know how hard it is
PC S class is offline  
post #719 of 849 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 02:35 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
Harv81's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: '00 E55 AMG - '80 300SD - '83 240D
Location: PA
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC S class View Post
Hello community,
I need your help, I'm just about done sourcing parts for the 99 500 coupe with the exception of the outside, left and right mirrors. I need some help finding them don't care what color. I need the entire housing anyone have a line on a pair? If you do please PM me, smoke signals, Morris code, tell someone who knows someone that might tell someone on this site. We all know how hard it is
Are coupe mirrors different from sedan mirrors?
Harv81 is offline  
post #720 of 849 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 02:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Aug 2016
Vehicle: 1994 S600 Coupe
Location: Northern Alabama
Posts: 1,502
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Yes. Base is different, not sure about the rest. And totally different than the early style.
jal1224 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome