please someone help me..they're killing my pocket!! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry please someone help me..they're killing my pocket!!

ok i have a 1995 s500, engine rebulit runs like a champ....problem is suspension is shot to shit... so i bring it in to shop, and they replace acculators..900 bucks... as soon as i leave the garage, i hit a pot hole and realize problem not fixed.....so i make a uturn and bring it back.....they keep the car and tell me that it needs new sturts...hmmmm well i kno that the struts rarely go bad in this car, and plus they are not leaking...also he tells me that they need to replace the lower sway bar links. all in all.$$2000...i say go ahead....

now he told me shock mounts are fine...and the round rubber things are fine too

so he just calls me and tells me that the valve and pump are shot....or working but not alot of pressure....and wants another 2000 to fix that....

question is
what if its not the shocks and thumping persists...
dosent the sls control the height of rear of car when weight is applyed, not dosent control thuding?

please help....
i need to know what to do if he replaces sturts and thudding still is there, and if replacing the valve and pump will fix thudding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 02:30 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: 1998 Mercedes Benz CL500
I had my rear accumulators replaced two years ago after experiencing terrible bouncing/banging noise from the rear end. It worked out because some idiot rear ended me when they were bad, his insurance ended up paying half of the repair. Dealer quoted $3000 to get this done, so your mechanic is off, but not by much. Once replaced there was a night and day difference, so the money is well spent.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: 1997 S600 (sold)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
So wait. What has been done so far? You said the accumulators and struts were replaced, but the ride is still hard in the back? Does your car have ADS?

ScapinBenz is correct. It should be a night-and-day difference when the accumulators are replaced (if they were bad). Pump and valve only control ride height. I can't imagine that they will affect the damping characteristics of the rear suspension. If you manually move the valve's lever, and you can see that the rear of the car rises and falls appropriately, then the pump and valve are fine.

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Acculators were changed. No difference in ride.
Shocks being put in now.

Mechanic told me pump n valve are bad, but car sits nice n dosent sag..
I guess question is, what happens if I get car back n it's still banging In back?
Should u replace valve n pump even though car sits up fine n those two components don't help the banging in back anyway?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 05:28 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 88 Mercedes 300SEL/15 Hyundai Sonata/91 Cadillac DeVille/72 Caprice Estate/73 Pontiac Grand Ville
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Makes me glad I have a 400SEL rather than a 500SEL. I heard it can be complex and costly to work on the 500/600SEL suspensions. I am not sure of the ride difference comparison when both are up to par, but I know that my 400SEL rides amazingly... especially on the highway, it literally floats over the bumps. I do have a clunk from the LF when hitting bumps I have to get addressed.

Hope you get it all sorted out soon.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 1997 S500 Coupe & 1994 S500 Coupe
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
First off, I think you need to find a new mechanic, he's charging you through your nose without him diagnosing correctly, he's just going for a hit and miss method. The rear shocks should be fine, the accumulators and mounts are fine. The valve MAY be a problem, but very easy way to check it. When on a lifted platform where the wheels are down, adjust the valve and see if it moves up and down, if it moves up and down, it's working fine. Or, you could sit in the trunk and see if it sags or compensates for your weight, if it does, it's fine. You might have air bubbles in the valve/system so just move the valve up and down a couple of cycles to have the car go up and down to get rid of them. The PUMP is FINEEEEE because it's the same pump for power steering, power steering pump is what pushes the hydraulic fluid to the shocks and accumulators.

The possible issue may be the nutorious subframe mounts. Rich.Organic replaced everything in the suspension and the subframe mounts ended up being the issue.

And like Brett San Diego asked, do you have ADS?
bnZE430/1999 likes this.

Last edited by Perkunas; 02-14-2013 at 05:48 PM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: S600 1996 metallic blue sedan
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
First off, I think you need to find a new mechanic,
and complete your profile.

These cars are expensive to keep but for what you've spent you can rebuild the front and most of the rear suspension.

Somewhere on this site there is a list of shops and members' experience.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 07:53 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: 1998 Mercedes Benz CL500
Thanks for the agreement Brett! Usually the accumulators go bad not necessarily the other components with them. My car didn't have a huge sag in the back, but you could easily tell once driving over uneven or bumpy surfaces as the accumulators were banging, creaking, and just making awful noises. I personally thought there was more damage, but the dealer had the car for other repairs from my accident and looked over everything else just to make sure. Hopefully this helps, to save yourself some money, start with the accumulators and go from there.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 65 220SEb, 97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Garage
Find a new mechanic.

Based on what you describe, they either don't understand how to properly troubleshoot the self leveling suspension and/or they are simply parts changers.

When you spend $2000 for a "repair" and the problem isn't resolved you need to "man up" and explain to them that you expect some sort of remuneration or your next stop is to your state's Dept. of Consumer Affairs.

I'm not trying to criticize, but if you let them do this to you continuously you're just contributing to the problem.

It's time to get them to resolve the problem at no cost to you or you need to accept that you just paid for a bunch of work you never needed and move on to a mechanic you can trust.

Dan
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 09:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
If there was no difference in ride than it makes me think nothing was changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in