post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: W140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Adding rear seat controls for various components

I'm the kind of guy who likes to retrofit anything and everything into my car, whether or not it was available from the factory. One thing I've wanted to do is add controls for the rear passengers for things like the sunshade, central locking, front seat control from rear, etc.

I read another thread from about a year ago that mentions adding the switch in the rear door that would allow the rear passenger to move the front seat back and forth, for more legroom. Most people said that it would probably be as simple as splicing the wiring from the original switch (i.e., the front seat control), adding more wiring going to the rear door, and then connecting it to the seat control buttons with a donor plug.

Would this concept extend to most/all of the switches in the center console? So let's say I want another, 2nd button to control the sunshade. Would it be as simple as splicing the wire at/just before the button, then extend the wire to wherever I want the 2nd button, add a plug to the end of this wire, and then plug this into a second switch?

Seems pretty simple, and as long as both buttons aren't being used at the same time, it should work out, right? Or am I completely off base with this idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Well if you have switch already all you have to do is splice and run wires. For example lets say the rear headrest switch in the front and you want one in the rear armrest all you have to do is splice it run the wires and get one of the same exact switch and it should work the only issue i can think of is the illumination.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
The switches all have little bulbs built into them.

I would also need the plug to plug into the button/switch, correct? So it should work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEE12 View Post
The switches all have little bulbs built into them.

I would also need the plug to plug into the button/switch, correct? So it should work?
yes if you want to do a clean job. i have done something like that for a w210(headrest button in the rear armrest that is why i used it as an example). but let me add don't use both switches at the same time. also make sure you splice correctly if there is a slight opening it can cause short/fire/electrical damage. now when you splice it up its the same as relocating a switch also use same gauge wires. and make the install clean and it should be good but you have to pay attention to the wire locations.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Sounds good. So I would simply be splitting the connection into two new ones, right? Similar to the wires here: http://www.telsonic.com/uploads/tx_t...splice_neu.jpg, correct?

And then cover them up with a bunch of electrical tape? Just wondering, what would happen if I used both at the same time? The switches would be connected in parallel; it seems like current would simply flow the direction it's supposed to (and not cause a short). Have you ever used both at once? Thanks again.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

you can splice like that but i used heat wraps and then electrical tape over it. and i did parallel but from what i tried on my mazda don't use both switches at the same time or else you will actually smell the wires shorting. I also did a dual switch fog light on my mazda and i have to use one switch at a time(dual fog setup switch one DRL switch two DRL+FOG)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Alright, thanks so much for all your help. I've been wondering all this time how the hell I was gonna do this project but now it seems fairly easy. The hardest part will just be getting the wiring to and from the desired points.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

WHAT EVER YOU DO DONT DO SERIES do parallel and dont use both switches at the same time but like i mentioned before was the illumination. since on some cars its limited amount of current. on the w210 it was one switch and worked perfect.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Oh makes sense since the voltage is always going to be the same and power consumption goes up (two bulbs), so current would have to go up in order for the bulbs to be at full brightness. But I think more current will be delivered since the bulbs are only what, like 2 watts lol. Anyways, I'll get this done as soon as I can get some buttons for all the desired functions I want, and I will post my results in case anyone else stumbles upon this and wants to do the same thing. Thanks again.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

the bulbs will be under a watt if its led also test the stuff out before reassembling everything makes it easier if you messed somehow(i make this mistake everytime lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in