Trunk lock cylinder replacement help! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1995 Mercedes-Benz S420 (W140), 1997 BMW 740iL (E38), 2011 C300 Luxury (W204)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Trunk lock cylinder replacement help!

Does anyone know how or whether or not replacing the trunk lock cylinder is possible? I know you can do it with door lock cylinders, ignition and even glovebox/sunglasses compartment but what about the trunk lock cylinder?

Here is the issue. My original trunk lock mechanism is broken, I found a replacement which works but my current key does not work in the replacement trunk lock (obviously). So I need to take the trunk lock cylinder out of the old trunk lock and put it into the new trunk lock so that my key works in the new part.

Any help or diagrams greatly appreciated!

People at the very top, Presidents not only of International companies-but of whole countries, travel S Class. -Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:25 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz E320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I believe you can Replace it. My Trunk has been locked for 8 months and I just got it opened today with the help of a Locksmith. Everyone kept telling me to go to the dealer and I finally had a locksmith that wasn't afraid to touch it. I own a 99 E320 and the key would not work in neither would the cylinder when I pushed it in to loosen the latch to open the trunk. Also the Trunk Latch inside the car did not work. So the LOCKSMITH buy put these two blood pressure cuff looking things under the bottom of the trunk and pumped them up and my trunk popped right open after 8 months. He then inspected my locks and said I need to replace the cylinder and Trunk Lock. It looks like when I pushed the cylinder it to open the trunk like normally it was not connecting to the internal latch to release the trunk. Anyway good luck!!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1995 Mercedes-Benz S420 (W140), 1997 BMW 740iL (E38), 2011 C300 Luxury (W204)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yeah I know if something goes wrong I won't be able to mechanically open the latch and that'll be bad news. I'm not too confident in the locksmiths around here either. The thing you said the locksmith had sounds like it inflates and pushes all the pins up in the lock cylinder therefore simulating the original key.

Anyways, I hope I can figure out how to remove/replace the lock cylinder. I was hoping someone on the boards have a WIS that shows how or something, as Alldatadiy doesn't show anything. I understand how the mechanism works, how the trunk latch can fail etc after hours of studying the damn thing.

Anyways, if I can't swap my lock cylinder, my options are either 1) Rig the setup so that no matter how the latch is locked, the latch will release when you push it in. This will allow anyone access to the trunk, the alarm will go off but trunk still opens. 2) Buy new from dealer that is made to go with my key. 3) Put old latch in, rig the microswitch from working latch to fool the car thinking my old one works. I will lose functionality of unlocking/locking via key in trunk hole, however the remote lock/unlocking will work.

People at the very top, Presidents not only of International companies-but of whole countries, travel S Class. -Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 05:46 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 600SEL
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...ml#post4860743

last file on page 3 shows how to separate housing from the lock cylinder

Last edited by myarmar; 08-25-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in