LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 10:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: 1988 560 SEC
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
Got it @gogi I will work to ship them out one day this week or at the latest it will be next weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 03:09 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Shapeways Gears Note 2018

I put these Shapeways gears in my '91 SEC last year and the presenter works great.

I also used the https://www.k6jrf.com/MB_sbe.html as inspiration.

Its a straightforward job overall

Thanks for doing this Jeff. These and similar efforts add distinct value to our BenzWorld community.

MBL
slownrusty likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91 500SEC EURO Germany
87 560SEC USA 49 State Version
post #93 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 06:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
Another set shipped for @gogi I have two more sets left. If you would like a set either Paypal me or PM me if you need a shipping quote. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 03:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Received my set yesterday, the purchasing process went super smooth, fast shipping and no glitches. @HardwayMB (Jeff) is truly a standup guy!
HardwayMB likes this.
post #95 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 05:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
I shipped the last set this morning from the latest run. I am passing the torch on to the next enthusiast that wants to take this one. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.
post #96 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 08:51 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to mclare Send a message via Skype™ to mclare
I should have made these! Duh!

I have the presenter covers made in SolidWorks. I just got my 3D printer too. An SLS model.

Current Stable:
2012 CL550 C4 4MATIC Coupe

Past cars:
1991-560 SEC AMG - Coupe - 199/261 - 300 HP Custom Built Motor - Highly Modified Coupe.
1990-560 SEL - Sedan - 199/261 - Stock. Euro Headlamps & Wipers
1987 560 SEC Black/Tan
1988 420 SEL Champagne/Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #97 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 12:07 PM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
Last weekend I got around to installing a set of gears in my driver side extender. Below are some before and after pictures. There are two gears, the smaller fully exposed gear is the drive motor gear and the other is the extender arm push/pull gear. I wanted to replace both even though the motor gear looked good. Once I got everything apart, I could not get the new motor gear to go on the motor shaft. I know the splines were lined up correctly as it would slip almost half way down but stopped. If I pushed on it I could feel the plastic of the gear expanding so I did not force it as I did not want to break it. Since the original motor gear was in excellent shape, I re-installed it. Getting the large C-clip back on the gear requires you to remove the back cover of the motor and push up on the large gear in the motor's gear box so the shaft exposes the slot for the C-clip. There is no way around this since the shaft sinks in to the motor's case if you push down on it. My apologies for the lack of pictures. If I do the passenger side I will certainly take more.

Two mistakes I made were, I did not measure the distance of the spring before I loosened it so I could ensure it was re-tightened to the same length when re-assembled. I also did not take any measurements regarding the micro-switch. During re-assembly I simply "eye-balled" it which I am sure is not the way it was done at the factory. There was no evidence of any type of grease on the gears do I did not place any on them. Was this a mistake? Only time will tell.

The verdict, my extender works again... sorta. There are two micro-switches, one that is easily seen and one on the back of the arm assembly. These need some fine tuning and performing "trial and error" work is cumbersome as I feel you need the tension of the seat belt being pulled out to ensure it is working properly. Mine sometimes can't make up its mind where it wants to be. It works 100% of the time about 1 out of every 4 operations. This is probably a combination of the relay box and micro-switches. My personal conclusion, if I take it apart again I may just un-plug the relay box so the motor does not run and the extender stays in the panel. The reasoning for this is, if they get stuck in the extended position you either need to cycle the accessories setting on the key and work the seat belt to get it back in. If you are unsuccessful, the extended arm is a liability as you risk running in to it and breaking it while exiting or re-entering the vehicle.

Take my personal experience and thoughts for what you will. I am a big proponent for having all equipment working as it should, especially items that are unique to a particular vehicle. However, its a lot to go through for something that in my opinion, adds little value to the driving experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OldGears01.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	2459291   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewGears01.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	2459293  
post #98 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 09:06 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle: 84' 500 Sec gray market
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
After some probing and pondering I decided to replace just the one stripped gear (large gear shown in your pic). I did this while on the car and, fortunately for me, I had plenty of grime and grit to leave witness marks. I was able to dial everything back to where it was originally and for once... everything worked out. Currently I'm just about done with a complete brake replacement to include a Gen II brake upgrade. Soft-lines, Bearings, sensor looms, etc, Everything is NEW... so I hope I got it right.
post #99 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:40 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 1985 300TDt, 1987 300TDt, 1995 W124 Cabrio, 1999 E300 Turbodiesel, 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have an A124 Cabrio. Put in new top cylinders and want to fix some other stuff which includes the seat belt presenters. My passenger side gears are stripped.

Looking to go into a group buy from shapeways.Any takers? Not in a big hurry.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in