BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W126 ASBESTOS ????

Hi Guys
I’m a fresh fish to this forum, so give me a wide berth
I just purchased myself a widebody Koenig Special from France and looking to ship her back to Aus.
We have pretty strict asbestos import laws here and I’m trying to track down what parts may have Asbestos
I’m going to change the pads and shoes and have found some info that the head gadgets may contain asbestos. Has anyone else heard of any asbestos products in the W126? Glues, heat shield etc?
Year model is 1982 and it’s a 380..
Cheers
Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:18 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2019
Vehicle: 2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Not at all familiar with that car, but the Aus import law is pretty strict if the car was not manufactured for the Australian market. it does have to be cleared of asbestos. Wow.

First thought is aside of what you mentioned,any exhaust gasket might have asbestos check those.

Have you contacted Mercedes to see if they can be of help?
The Aus Gov web site states:
"Vehicles that were not specifically manufactured for the Australian market might be considered at risk of containing asbestos"

But they do not give a cut off for what year, I am wondering even though the car is in France was it manufacturer for the Aus market? is that an out? the car is probably too old, I have a feeling it would be cars after 2003.

In the end it is probably going to come down to how in depth the customs agent you get is.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Wallo has good ideas where there *might* be asbestos. My suggestion is to contact a Mercedes Classic Car Center since they do restorations. There is one in Stuttgart and Irvine, CA. A quick google search yielded this: https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/enthu...classic_center

I doubt a customs agency would take my word where all the asbestos is located on any car but they would likely take the word of the constructor.

Also, contact the Aus customs people - they've done this before, might have the list of asbestos on your car already, probably has a list of people / companies that they have used / trust to get this data.

Please fill our your profile. It's my assumption that "Aus" is Australia, not Austria.

Blasphemous Mike
US '87 560SEC with Euro headlights, clear markers, H&Rs, 17x8.5/Nitto's, ATE slotted rotors with ceramic pads, BergWerks FGS, 3.07 Limited Slip. '87 560SEL with Euro Headlights, lowered, 235/40/17's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:51 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 560SEC - 1988; 500SEL - 1991; E320T - 1995
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Hello,

In the W126, some asbestos-containing insulation material was used for parts of the aggregate partition in the engine compartment. but this is not harmful to health because it does not dust.

Brake pads were already converted to asbestos-free material at the beginning of the 1990s.

Partially, parts of the underbody seal may contain asbestos, so whether this is the case with your car, is in the individual case at MB dealer inquire.

Cornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig View Post
Hi Guys
Iím a fresh fish to this forum, so give me a wide berth
I just purchased myself a widebody Koenig Special from France and looking to ship her back to Aus.
We have pretty strict asbestos import laws here and Iím trying to track down what parts may have Asbestos
Iím going to change the pads and shoes and have found some info that the head gadgets may contain asbestos. Has anyone else heard of any asbestos products in the W126? Glues, heat shield etc?
Year model is 1982 and itís a 380..
Cheers
Kris
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2018
Vehicle: 1988 Mercedes 500 sec
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
what part of the ubderseal is asbestos is it not all rubber coated
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:01 PM

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1986/1990 W126
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Yes I'm worried now. I have ground away loads of mine to address rust.

'86 420SE
'90 420SEC

Daily transport 9spd Giant DH Comp downhill bike
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Vehicle: 1990 300SE
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
The first asbestos free mercedes engine was the M104 (from 1989)

engine gaskets have asbestos for example on M103 (from 1985) asbestos was used on: exhaust manifold gaskets, oil filter housing gasket (maybe head gasket too but I'm not sure)

722.3 transmission (you have it) used asbestos on the valvebody gasket up to a certain serial number
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
I think the best course of action is to hire a mechanic (maybe mb dealership ) with the instruction “remove all asbestos containing parts for export “ and let them replace the brake pads and whatever else they determine . That way you have documentation of an experts opinion the car has been cleared . Which is why it’s best to have this done At mb dealer
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the feed back guys it has given me a few leads to chase
Christuna , you seem to know specifics about asbestos locations in specific parts, where have u sourced this information ? Is there any literature on the Asbestos use in these parts?
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply , what is the aggregate partition in the engine compartment? Is this sound proofing or heat shield on the underside of the bonnet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius Kournettas View Post
Hello,

In the W126, some asbestos-containing insulation material was used for parts of the aggregate partition in the engine compartment. but this is not harmful to health because it does not dust.

Brake pads were already converted to asbestos-free material at the beginning of the 1990s.

Partially, parts of the underbody seal may contain asbestos, so whether this is the case with your car, is in the individual case at MB dealer inquire.

Cornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig View Post
Hi Guys
I’m a fresh fish to this forum, so give me a wide berth
We have pretty strict asbestos import laws here and I’m trying to track down what parts may have Asbestos
I’m going to change the pads and shoes and have found some info that the head gadgets may contain asbestos. Has anyone else heard of any asbestos products in the W126? Glues, heat shield etc?
Year model is 1982 and it’s a 380..
Cheers
Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in