Date registered: Jun 2016
Vehicle: W126 300SE 1987 EURO
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question W126 ignition lock housing strange pin mystery

Hi guys,

W126 300SE 1987 Euro Model.

Hopefully someone will be able to solve this mystery as I searched the forums and couldn't find a clue..

Today I decided to replace the ignition tumbler, when I pulled it out it was already broken so guess I was lucky, additionally it had the "non-existing" Mercedes part number 126-462-01-79 on it (see image) which apparently is interchangeable with 123-462-04-79 , see https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w12...rt-number.html (anyway that's not important).

What worries me is that inside the ignition lock housing I noticed a loosed pin (see images), I don't know where it belongs to and if it should be there in the first place, I hope it's part of old broken tumbler but I am not sure, I am afraid it could be part of ignition lock housing, however when I compared its inside to how a new part should look at https://partsfinder.bilsteingroup.co...cle/febi/01258 I couldn't see any pin.

Please see the attached images of the broken tumbler, ignition lock housing with the pin, ignition lock housing with the pin removed and the pin outside and let me know your thoughts.

At this point I am not sure if I simply should put in a new tumbler and that's it or should I order and ignition lock housing as well (or maybe place the pin back the way I found it

Thanks in advance!

Lazlong
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ignition tumbler.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2522138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pin.jpg
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	2522140   Click image for larger version

Name:	ignition lock housing with the pin removed.jpg
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	2522142   Click image for larger version

Name:	ignition lock housing with the pin.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	2522144  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:00 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Vehicle: 1990 420 SEC
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi,

I happen to have same steering lock/ tumbler assembly laying around. To check I took the tumbler out again. There is no such part visible. Either it does not belong there or it is an internal part of steering lock assembly. It does not seem to fit trough the key slot of tumbler so it did not come in there that way or is not from tumbler. Does steering lock work now? Unless the tumbler has been out before…
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heikkif View Post
Hi,

I happen to have same steering lock/ tumbler assembly laying around. To check I took the tumbler out again. There is no such part visible. Either it does not belong there or it is an internal part of steering lock assembly. It does not seem to fit trough the key slot of tumbler so it did not come in there that way or is not from tumbler. Does steering lock work now? Unless the tumbler has been out before…
Wow, thank you very much for the effort!

The steering lock appears to be working fine, I suspect someone took the tumbler out before because the lock shield cover was not aligned as it should be and I hope this pin just found its way there by mistake.

Do you have any idea how can I find a diagram of the steering lock assembly internal parts? I searched online but could not find one.

Thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:41 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Vehicle: 1990 420 SEC
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
"Do you have any idea how can I find a diagram of the steering lock assembly internal parts?"

No idea.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
420SEL diagram
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	420SEL steering column.jpg
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	2522352  

Blasphemous Mike
US '87 560SEC with Euro headlights, clear markers, H&Rs, 17x8.5/Nitto's, ATE slotted rotors with ceramic pads, BergWerks FGS, 3.07 Limited Slip. '87 560SEL with Euro Headlights, lowered, 235/40/17's
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you very much mramay, but I need a diagram of the ignition lock housing itself (part number 5 on your diagram) to try and figure if the pin I found inside is part of the mechanism.

This is the part I need the diagram for:

https://partsfinder.bilsteingroup.co...cle/febi/01258
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok, this is an update, it appears that the pin is indeed a part of the ignition lock housing mechanism, when I turned the internal part clockwise (that controls the switch) with a screwdriver a small hole was revealed which I believe the pin originally poped out from (they have the exact diameter), I also noticed that it makes a bit of metalic noise when turned so I am going to order and replace the ignition lock housing to be on the safe side.

Can the car be safely driven without the ignition lock housing installed manually using the electric switch to turn it on and off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in