Oooh, that smell! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1989 300SE (Mitzi); 2003 CLK 430 cabrio (Clifford)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Oooh, that smell!

Guys, I'm a little anxious about what might be something wrong. Yesterday while driving the 300SE home I smelled what I thought might be a forest fire—or maybe an overheated clutch...like you might smell from a big, loaded bus with a manual transmission traversing a mountain. Not quite a burning wood smell, but definitely not oil, either. Thought it was outside the car.

Thought nothing of it until I realized, when I got home, that it’s my car. I popped the hood and looked around but can’t see anything. No evidence of a burn. I looked at all the fuses—nothing. However, when I stick my nose into the space between the fuse box and wiring harness, there was a reasonably strong something-burned smell. There was no evidence of smoke. Smells eletrical-ish, but I’m no expert. This morning the smell was mostly gone—but certainly not entirely.

So it’s a mystery. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? The only other visible anomaly I noticed while driving was that the temp gauge was about 10ļC warmer than usual (around 90ļC), and it wasn’t an overly hot day—80ļF. I had driven the car only a couple of miles to Best Buy and then back.

On a potentially related note (but not likely), in poking around I discovered a weird wire splice coming off the harness; it’s attached to a blue-and-green wire and seems to extend in front of the brake booster and then into another group of wires. However, when I tugged on it a bit, it pulled righto out—and is evidently attached to nothing. I have zero idea whether it’s related to the smell. I assume this has been there for a long time.

I’m afraid to drive the car now because (a) I don’t know what’s causing the burn smell; and (b) this funky wire thing has me concerned as the splice evidently went to another, uh, splice that, as you can see, goes to nothing.

I’m not even remotely qualified as an electrician, so anyone who has a clue and has an opinion or answer is really appreciated. It smells electrical, but then what do I know.

Any help is much appreciated!

Oh, and happy Father's Day to the dads out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1358.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	966.0 KB
ID:	2520944   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1359.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	927.0 KB
ID:	2520946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1360.jpg
Size:	872.0 KB
ID:	2520948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1361.jpg
Size:	728.9 KB
ID:	2520950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1363.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	873.6 KB
ID:	2520952  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1989 SEL 560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strassenkreuzer View Post
Guys, I'm a little anxious about what might be something wrong. Yesterday while driving the 300SE home I smelled what I thought might be a forest fire—or maybe an overheated clutch...like you might smell from a big, loaded bus with a manual transmission traversing a mountain. Not quite a burning wood smell, but definitely not oil, either. Thought it was outside the car.

Thought nothing of it until I realized, when I got home, that it’s my car. I popped the hood and looked around but can’t see anything. No evidence of a burn. I looked at all the fuses—nothing. However, when I stick my nose into the space between the fuse box and wiring harness, there was a reasonably strong something-burned smell. There was no evidence of smoke. Smells eletrical-ish, but I’m no expert. This morning the smell was mostly gone—but certainly not entirely.

So it’s a mystery. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? The only other visible anomaly I noticed while driving was that the temp gauge was about 10ļC warmer than usual (around 90ļC), and it wasn’t an overly hot day—80ļF. I had driven the car only a couple of miles to Best Buy and then back.

On a potentially related note (but not likely), in poking around I discovered a weird wire splice coming off the harness; it’s attached to a blue-and-green wire and seems to extend in front of the brake booster and then into another group of wires. However, when I tugged on it a bit, it pulled righto out—and is evidently attached to nothing. I have zero idea whether it’s related to the smell. I assume this has been there for a long time.

I’m afraid to drive the car now because (a) I don’t know what’s causing the burn smell; and (b) this funky wire thing has me concerned as the splice evidently went to another, uh, splice that, as you can see, goes to nothing.

I’m not even remotely qualified as an electrician, so anyone who has a clue and has an opinion or answer is really appreciated. It smells electrical, but then what do I know.

My experience with three W126 SEL 560s is that the original owners spliced in telephones and radar detectors. I have done my best to strip out all of the non-original wiring. Look under your fuse box. That is an area of access often used.
The next issue that I always encountered is previous owners put in new stereo systems with hack job wiring. This issue is painful since it is not always practical to go back to original equipment. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
You may never figure out the purpose of that wire.
Strassenkreuzer likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 07 E350, 80 240D 4 speed, 90 300SE, 87 260E
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I ran over a tarp in the road on New Years day. I didn't think a lot of it at the time. A couple days later, while approaching my parked car, I noticed the tarp was still under the car.

Turns out it was stuck (melted) to the tail pipe and cat converter.

I pulled it off.

To this day, after a long drive, I still get the burnt plastic smell when exiting the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kaiser View Post
My experience with three W126 SEL 560s is that the original owners spliced in telephones and radar detectors. I have done my best to strip out all of the non-original wiring. Look under your fuse box. That is an area of access often used.
The next issue that I always encountered is previous owners put in new stereo systems with hack job wiring. This issue is painful since it is not always practical to go back to original equipment. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
You may never figure out the purpose of that wire.
Thanks, Tom. The only funky wiring that I'm aware of this car was a poor job fixing the AC about 15 years ago and as a result, it was hard-wired in the on position--which burned it out pretty fast. This car was bought new by my mother, so I know that the only after-market thing done to it was my addition of a Pioneer head unit about four years ago--and thus far no problems. This is why this problem is kinda baffling; there would be no reason for the installer to splice in a wire from the harness as the old stereo had both power and light/antenna inputs. That spliced wire is odd.

Anyone know what that particular blue/green wire did? I'm sure the wiring diagram shows it, but I have no clue where to get one or how to read it. That would at least help understand what someone was trying to do with that splice--back whenever it was done. Could have been any time during the last thirty years.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInTime View Post
I ran over a tarp in the road on New Years day. I didn't think a lot of it at the time. A couple days later, while approaching my parked car, I noticed the tarp was still under the car.

Turns out it was stuck (melted) to the tail pipe and cat converter.

I pulled it off.

To this day, after a long drive, I still get the burnt plastic smell when exiting the car.
Good idea. I looked with a flashlight and can't see anything. But I'll have another look tomorrow with daylight. That would please me no end to find out it's just something that wound up melting on my cat or exhaust pipe. Somehow I'm not terribly optimistic, though if one applies Occam's theorem, then I might be pleasantly surprised.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:15 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strassenkreuzer View Post
Guys, I'm a little anxious about what might be something wrong. Yesterday while driving the 300SE home I smelled what I thought might be a forest fireóor maybe an overheated clutch...like you might smell from a big, loaded bus with a manual transmission traversing a mountain. Not quite a burning wood smell, but definitely not oil, either. Thought it was outside the car.

Thought nothing of it until I realized, when I got home, that itís my car. I popped the hood and looked around but canít see anything. No evidence of a burn. I looked at all the fusesónothing. However, when I stick my nose into the space between the fuse box and wiring harness, there was a reasonably strong something-burned smell. There was no evidence of smoke. Smells eletrical-ish, but Iím no expert. This morning the smell was mostly goneóbut certainly not entirely.

So itís a mystery. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? The only other visible anomaly I noticed while driving was that the temp gauge was about 10ļC warmer than usual (around 90ļC), and it wasnít an overly hot dayó80ļF. I had driven the car only a couple of miles to Best Buy and then back.

On a potentially related note (but not likely), in poking around I discovered a weird wire splice coming off the harness; itís attached to a blue-and-green wire and seems to extend in front of the brake booster and then into another group of wires. However, when I tugged on it a bit, it pulled righto outóand is evidently attached to nothing. I have zero idea whether itís related to the smell. I assume this has been there for a long time.

Iím afraid to drive the car now because (a) I donít know whatís causing the burn smell; and (b) this funky wire thing has me concerned as the splice evidently went to another, uh, splice that, as you can see, goes to nothing.

Iím not even remotely qualified as an electrician, so anyone who has a clue and has an opinion or answer is really appreciated. It smells electrical, but then what do I know.

Down deep under the brake master cylinder is a big resistor screwed to the body. I'd take a look at that. I think they can get hot enough to start leaves on fire that collect down there. Great pics, by the way.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymike View Post
Down deep under the brake master cylinder is a big resistor screwed to the body. I'd take a look at that. I think they can get hot enough to start leaves on fire that collect down there. Great pics, by the way.
That's exactly what I was thinking. To keep that area clean I vacuum it each time I vac the interior during a wash job. Use a crevice nozzle and go in where it will fit, different angles to get all the way to the bottom
luckymike and Strassenkreuzer like this.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'11 Suzuki SX4 Sport Sedan
'02 S-10 Truck
'72 SeaBird boat, "Riff Raft", overhaul restarted

Dif-tor heh smusma
I'm surprised that NOBODY has asked me what this is / means
LOL
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Drive it around the block a couple times and see if any of the rims get hotter to the touch than the others. Might be a sticking calliper.

1989 JDM 420SEL The new project
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed -Current Daily

1983 BMW 733i Fixed up and traded for above 420SEL
1997 E290 Turbo Diesel Wagon -traded for the volvo, an amazingly comfortable car to drive, great drivetrain, but the rust, oh my god the rust
1992 BMW 525i -traded in for E290
1990 Silver 300TE -Sold Loved the wagon, hated the M103
1985 Grey 380SE Diesel Conversion, 2.47 rear end, ABS -Sold, really should have kept this one
1979 Silver 300D "The Silver Slug" -Sold
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:57 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2018
Vehicle: 1991 560SEL
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
tip on cleaning all of those areas back by the firewall, under brake booster, crevices behind the battery, etc...Vaccum usually isnt strong enough to get ALL the leaves, needles from pine trees, etc.
But, an air compressor with a skinny blower attachment can get ALL of the stuff blown up and out from back/under there. I usually toss an old bedsheet over the entire engine area before using this method so that all of the various dirt, leaves, etc end up on top of the sheet for easy disposal vs falling back down into the engine bay
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:53 PM

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1986/1990 W126
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Blow definitely works best in this case.

'86 420SE
'90 420SEC

Daily transport 9spd Giant DH Comp downhill bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in