Buying 560sec and want to lower it and add AMG-tribute wheels - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2019
Vehicle: 2015 S550, 2014 E350 Cabriolet, & 1982 380SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Buying 560sec and want to lower it and add AMG-tribute wheels

Howdy,

I have three Benzes: 2 new-era cars and a 1982 380sl; however, Iíve decided to get a 1990 560sec. Initially, I entertained a 300se or a 560sel; however, I allowed my budget to grow to get what I really liked. To that end, I want to lower the car and add a gas wheels. What brand or suspension-lowering products would you recommend, what a great-tribute wheels would you recommend, what size works best, and what size tires would I need? I want to order these parts before the car arrives, so that I can have it set up and sorted as soon as possible. I am hoping I can rely on yíallís wisdom to help guide me, here.

L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
You want performa 25 rims , and cut the springs one coil , and get raised center caps .

That way you don’t need to use spacers or buy springs
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '98 SL500
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
I really like Roland's wheels, no spacers period correct and perfect on a 126, he a member on here as well (great guy).

AxelWulff and ianrandom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:29 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2018
Vehicle: 1991 560SEL
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
whats your budget? I love these, but the price is above what I would have been willing to spend. IN addition, in my opinion, 18" wheels on the 126 chassis is too much. Suspension wasn't engineered for such a size and ride quality will suffer too much. In my opinion:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MECXTREME-1...oAAOSwpZNckZoz

Several of us have these as they are 17" in diameter, and decent value for the price. SHop around on ebay as there are multiple sellers, some a few hundred $ cheaper than others for same product:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-r107-w1...kAAOSwcOtcieNd

You will need spacers with these to push them out away from inside of car to fit properly. But no need to be afraid of spacers. Used by many, for years, sold by name brand companies.

As far as lowering, many of us have gone with H&R Springs and Bilstein shocks. Its a proven setup. Others have cut one coil off of the stock front springs to achieve the same height as H&R springs provide.
Cant speak for the rear of the 560 SEC as my car is the 560SEL with Self Leveling Suspension. On those setups, we leave the stock hydraulic shocks in place but just replace the springs. Rear height can be adjusted as/if needed via adjusting the SLS system.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon5790 View Post
Howdy,

I have three Benzes: 2 new-era cars and a 1982 380sl; however, Iíve decided to get a 1990 560sec. Initially, I entertained a 300se or a 560sel; however, I allowed my budget to grow to get what I really liked. To that end, I want to lower the car and add a gas wheels. What brand or suspension-lowering products would you recommend, what a great-tribute wheels would you recommend, what size works best, and what size tires would I need?

I want to order these parts before the car arrives, so that I can have it set up and sorted as soon as possible. I am hoping I can rely on yíallís wisdom to help guide me, here.

L.

The important information Iím reading is in that last block. It sounds like youíve purchased a car long distance, sight unseen. Perhaps Iím making assumptions, but my strong recommendation is to find out what youíve got and the condition of it unless your intention is to just rip out all of the existing suspension without getting a good understanding of what youíve got and itís current condition.

I believe the 560sec will have the SLS rear suspension which can be problematic. You will probably want to understand if that has issues before you start changing the car.

Then after youíve owned it a while, you may want to decide whether authentic vintage parts are the only acceptable route, or if fake wheels and parts are ok for you. Authentic AMG parts will cost more and take more time to find, but some of use would rather only use authentic parts, even if old. I think Iíd prefer to see Kenny Rogers age gracefully than wear that fake face he has. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AxelWulff likes this.

My signature:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:11 AM

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1986/1990 W126
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Welcome @Landon5790 . I would recommend settling in some time when you're bored and reading through some of the archives. Wheels are a bit of a problem on these really, with all kinds of potential headaches. Lots of info awaits you to help though.

And lowering, its different for each car a lot of the time. When you get yours, show us some piccies. As Lesguy mentions, H&R are popular. That mostly works, but sometimes not, so beware. Unfortunately although it works a lot of the time, cutting one coil also does not equal the same result on every W126, so again beware.

Anyway we are here for you. lol.

'86 420SE
'90 420SEC

Daily transport 9spd Giant DH Comp downhill bike
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2019
Vehicle: 2015 S550, 2014 E350 Cabriolet, & 1982 380SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Howdy!

So, I’ve purchased the car, and my dad is picking it up for me in Ohio. It should arrive by Monday. I also purchased the Performana 25 wheels on eBay. They should arrive by Thursday. The lowering springs should arrive by then, as well. All in all, I’ve the car, the springs, and the wheels taken care of. I’d like to have the car sorted quickly so I can enjoy her.

Do y’all have thoughts about the tires I should put on? Do I need spacers, and should I also buy shocks for the back?

Thank you—I’ll follow up with pictures as things progress.

L.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2019
Vehicle: 1986 560 SEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
HR sport springs (1.5” lower roughly) brand new bilstein b8s, Leave hydronic suspension (self adjusting) in rear. 16x8 amg pentas e11 backspacing -front wheels. 16x9 e12 backspacing -rear wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	329015F6-50EB-4991-86DE-9723849D50FA_1560615140005.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	4.05 MB
ID:	2520424  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon5790 View Post
Howdy!

So, Iíve purchased the car, and my dad is picking it up for me in Ohio. It should arrive by Monday. I also purchased the Performana 25 wheels on eBay. They should arrive by Thursday. The lowering springs should arrive by then, as well. All in all, Iíve the car, the springs, and the wheels taken care of. Iíd like to have the car sorted quickly so I can enjoy her.

Do yíall have thoughts about the tires I should put on? Do I need spacers, and should I also buy shocks for the back?

Thank youóIíll follow up with pictures as things progress.

L.
FYI...you are moving kinda fast by buying modification things before you fully assess the overall maintenance needs of the car. These are old cars and even the best usually dont arrive in perfect condition. That said? I pretty much did the so same as you re: buying wheels and springs quickly. LOL.

If you have SLS rear suspension, you will hope that the rear shocks (called rams) are in great shape. If they arent leaking, they will be fine. If they are leaking and need replacing, it's near impossible to find new ones. And if you do, price is going to be high. YOu can find used, and hope they arent leaking. But other option is to totally remove the SLS system altogether, and get non SLS type rear shocks and different springs I think. You'd then want to read various threads that discuss removing the rest of the SLS hydraulic system.

With the Performa wheels, the standard center caps wont fit as the cars grease caps on the ends of the wheel hubs will protrude too much. You'll need to obtain raised center caps (not attractive) if you want to not use spacers, or use the standard center caps and use 10mm spacers up front and not sure of the minimum size spacer you'll need for the rear. I like my wheels/tires rather flush with the fenderwheel edges so Im running 25mm spacers in the rear. Im running only a 3mm or 5mm (cant recall which) spacers up front, but I did have to dremel the backside of my stock center cap in order for them to fit without the greasecap hitting them/pushing them out. If you go for spacers, you'll want 5X112 bolt pattern with 66.56 or 66.6 center hub bore.

Again, all of this info is detailed in several threads, including the one I linked above to my car/my journey.

But in my opinion, your first priority needs to be tovisually inspect key areas for signs of any rust, and address accordingly. In the SEC's, lower corners of rear glass around and under the rubber trim are prime areas that if not caught early, can lead to major cost to address as it requires rear glass removal. Not easy, not cheap.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

also, share a link to the car with us! Would love to view it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in