Sedan Nose on a c126 coupe? How to? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sedan Nose on a c126 coupe? How to?

I am saddened to realize that my 1982 500sec euro coupe should probably be parted since it has what I believe are so many valuable parts.

I am going to be parting a black 1985 280se 4-speed that has rocker rust and a bad water pump. It could be turned into a real beater, but has over 250,000 miles and plenty of rust being from Buffalo, NY. Here it is:

The interior is one of the best parts, honestly made me consider the concept of making it a beater, but you can see it makes most sense to part it. It does currently run and drive, but with a clogged fuel strainer, it wonít rev beyond 2500 rpms without immediately stalling afterwards.

Itís got a usable good and fenders (now that Iíve replaced the driver side with one saved from a black 1989 300se I previously parted out). I have plenty of sedan headlights to use, and other good grills, plus either euro or US front bumpers.

So I will have the parts to do this, and I assume that if I use a US front bumper, the parts value ~$0.00.

So WHY put these parts on a coupe?

The coupe is probably not worth restoring, but on the other hand, it makes me so sad to part it. Here are the pros the car has going for it (beyond the value of front end parts):
- always a good runner, with cold AC.
- nice interior besides a cracked dash
- euro 5.0 that appears to have been loved most of its life.

Now why not restore it:

- rust holes under the front jack points, rust spots on each of the two rear arches, and other small rust issues.

- death wobble that use to start at 45 mph due to a bad ball join on driver side. Now car is smooth as butter until you hit a bump at lets say anywhere from 45+, like maybe going 80 mph, and then death wobble commences seemingly out of nowhere which is scary as all hell. Before it came on slowly as you passed 45 mph. So the front end needs to be totally rebuilt. Maybe this is a reason to just part the whole car out.

- exhaust leak right behind the aftermarket cats (fed by aftermarket air pump).

- driver door window regulator acting up

- cracks in dash

- grill is cracked

- most importantly, the car is shedding clearcoat everywhere behind the fenders: top of car, trunk lid, quarters, etc. it needs to be sanded down and repainted, the whole car. If I knew how much of an effort it is to prep the car, I might consider maaco.

So, if it were you, would you turn this thing into some mad-max hellion, or just part it, or sell it on eBay as is.

Will the sedan fenders, hood, headlights, and bumper just bolt on for the most part? Will the coupe doors line up properly with the sedan fenders?

If so, I could rattle can the black parts silver to make them ďmatchĒ the rest of the car.

Iím in no rush. Just talking concepts here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My signature:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:32 AM

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1986/1990 W126
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hmm I do actually like the saloon nose on the coupe. I love the coupe nose, but the saloon one works well too imo.

Doors lining up with the other panels are possibly going to be the biggest problem.

As you know, you'd get the most money parting the car out, but since it has its good points, why not stick it on eBay or something. Doesn't sound like it needs much really. That's probably what I'd do, so it has a chance of getting sorted out.

'86 420SE
'90 420SEC

Daily transport 9spd Giant DH Comp downhill bike
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: '82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
If decide to part the coupe, and it has a good rear glass, I’d like to call dibs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sedan Nose on a c126 coupe? How to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhouse View Post
If decide to part the coupe, and it has a good rear glass, Iíd like to call dibs.

The rear glass is good. If youíd like to try and strike a deal on the whole car, feel free to PM. I think FS stuff isnít allowed here.

Hereís a link to the album of videos Iíve taken (and marked public I guess). https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...HLcxqVeopUt2Ow
Itís nothing professional. Thatís for sure. And hereís the unlisted link for the rear glass.

My signature:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Fonzi; 06-05-2019 at 03:42 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
It’s not a straight bolt on swap
the doors need to be modified at the fender line
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
first you have to be an oil sheikh
lowphat likes this.

1985 500SEL Euro Nautic Blue - A Classic Beauty
1985 500SEC Euro Nautic Blue
1989 Porsche 911 Carrera Silver Anniversary Edition
2012 E63 AMG Iridium Silver - Performance Package
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:24 AM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
This German Mercedes collector and purist insist historically S-Class Coupes came with the large upright grille, and only the SL had the wide horizontal grille, so he changed his front.
Video is in German but shows the steps to make the SE/L front end fit his coupe. The stock sedan fenders forms a straighter line at the sedan's doors, and are apx 16 mm too short at the door of the coupe (they had to do quite a bit of fabricating to extend the fenders with perfect gap, and other stuff, about 220 work hours total).
To him, the perfect build is one where after the changes, the car looks as if it came from the factory just like that.
I think he left a link to his channel (Robert Hartl), and I remember a detailed build vid there.
Fonzi, if you have specific questions, mark the time in video and I translate.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
This German Mercedes collector and purist insist historically S-Class Coupes came with the large upright grille, and only the SL had the wide horizontal grille, so he changed his front.
Video is in German but shows the steps to make the SE/L front end fit his coupe. The stock sedan fenders forms a straighter line at the sedan's doors, and are apx 16 mm too short at the door of the coupe (they had to do quite a bit of fabricating to extend the fenders with perfect gap, and other stuff, about 220 work hours total).
To him, the perfect build is one where after the changes, the car looks as if it came from the factory just like that.
I think he left a link to his channel (Robert Hartl), and I remember a detailed build vid there.
Fonzi, if you have specific questions, mark the time in video and I translate.

https://youtu.be/Hmw-aF8BA0c

Thank you. Iíd seen that video but never took the time to watch it, not knowing German.

I see him discussing the door fender line at 4:15-4:55. No need to take the time to translate now though.

Lifeís been busy, and I put the coupe up on eBay and screwed up the listing. It couldnít be found with ď500secĒ or any of the normal search terms because I used a canned title ďMercedes 500-seriesĒ listing it on my phone. Iím sort of glad the $2675 winning bidder didnít pay. The car is now a good driver, and I should probably run it through the inspection lane to prove it, maybe Register the car and just use it for a while. I will probably give eBay one more go Ďround before I just move the car (and several others) to my sisterís farm, storing them inside a 5000 sq ft horse arena.

I havenít had any time to sell parts recently. The money might be ďhandyĒ, but the time is more important right now. So realistically, the sedan nose conversion isnít happening. I was honestly thinking of doing it as a way of devaluing this good driver coupe, sucking parts money out of it.

Sorry if Iíve wasted everyoneís time here.

My signature:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:56 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: '87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
No, it provoked visualization and creativity! Before I went into design school, I would draw my own version of mock-ups of the exact same scenario--using the 300Sc, ponton, and 111 chassis coupes as inspiration, I would long for Mercedes to bring back a sedan grille on the S-coupe for that stately appearance.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
the 111 coupes had the same fronts as the sedans essentially and that is probably why he feels the SEC should have the same...

1985 500SEL Euro Nautic Blue - A Classic Beauty
1985 500SEC Euro Nautic Blue
1989 Porsche 911 Carrera Silver Anniversary Edition
2012 E63 AMG Iridium Silver - Performance Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in