Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/)
-   -   Rims / lug bolts / W126 vs R129 q's (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/3027158-rims-lug-bolts-w126-vs-r129.html)

isthenew 05-24-2019 06:13 PM

Rims / lug bolts / W126 vs R129 q's

2 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

This regards my new to me 1989 300SE with 231k miles. In the course of restoration I discovered a snafu with the tires. I thought I had 4 like-new tires on the car. However, I have 3. One of the 4 tires mounted is bald. I went into the trunk and found the 4th like-new tire was there as the spare; only it has a huge, 6-inch gash in the sidewall.

And while there are those that will say, "My god! How did he buy a car without knowing this?" I paid a few hundred dollars for the car. So I didn't look to hard at every little thing. ...Actually, I didn't even start the car until I paid for it and was getting ready to drive it to the warehouse.

In any case, I came across a great deal on a set of used tires and chrome rims from a 1990 300SL. Having owned SL320's I didn't expect any real problems. I researched the tire and rim sizes between the cars. Everything seems to match up. But there were 2 potential problems: 1) Needing spacers on the front rims, and/or 2) Needing longer lug bolts.

Upon install, I found I literally couldn't install the rims. The lug bolts from my W126 are too short. They do not reach the backside of the rim; let alone screw into the wheel hub.

If I measured correctly, the W126 lug bolt has ~40mm shaft. I believe I need ~60mm.

I've had R129's with aluminum rims and with chrome rims (like these). The aluminum rims on my friend's R129 had the same, long, "flush mount" style as the W126 lug bolt. My chrome rims used lug bolts that were shorter, non-flush mount. My chrome R129 rims used the same shorter, non-flush mount lug bolts as my aluminum rims. In fact, my chrome rims were so similar to these, and it seemed everything was so interchangeable on the R129, I'm surprised by this problem.

Though I've read they're longer, I never noticed anything special about the R129 lug bolt. In my mind, I don't remember anything different from the W126's. In my research, I can't find a specific example or measurement for the R129 lug bolt.

So, is the R129 lug bolt longer? With a shaft of ~60mm? In which case those are a great solution. Because I have a source to buy those.

Thanks,
Bill

GreenT 05-24-2019 06:31 PM

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...BDYWHL_pg2.htm

isthenew 05-24-2019 07:17 PM

Ok. Great. That was confusing to me as both models (R129 and W126) have the same part listed. And I had the shorter, non-flush bolts on my aluminum R129 rims. And a ~40mm short shaft could have an overall length of 61mm.

I'll order me some of those bolts!

GreenT 05-24-2019 07:48 PM

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r12...-oem-et34.html

A few things you need to know...

Shank diameter for Mercedes is either 12mm or 14mm. R129s use 12mm. W126s use 14mm.

Shank length is measured from the base of the seat to end of lug. In your case it sounds like you need a 14X60mm.

Mercedes uses ball seats as opposed to conical seats. For safety reasons stick with the ball seat lugs.

Lastly, stay away from cheap brands/products. Contact these guys, they have the real deal and are experts on our cars always willing to help.

mramay 05-24-2019 09:08 PM

Oops, GreenT's wrong. W126's use 12mm lug bolts. 12x1.5's.

If the 40s are flush with the back of the rim, then 50s should do the trick. Also, to reiterate, the parking brake mechanism is inside the rear hub and pretty close to the bolt holes. Bolt the rim on the hub and, by hand, turn the rim 360 degrees to ensure the bolts don't hit the mechanism. BTDT, got the bills to show new parking brake parts!!

Doc Zinger 05-24-2019 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mramay (Post 17795798)

If the 40s are flush with the back of the rim, then 50s should do the trick. Also, to reiterate, the parking brake mechanism is inside the rear hub and pretty close to the bolt holes. Bolt the rim on the hub and, by hand, turn the rim 360 degrees to ensure the bolts don't hit the mechanism. BTDT, got the bills to show new parking brake parts!!

Wrong wrong, OMG can't be, I can see why you have "Blasphemous Mike" in you byline after committing such an act.

macdeity 05-24-2019 09:40 PM

I got some original R129 wheel bolts that I'm going to use to mount my OZ wheels on my SEC, some have a little rust, does anyone know how to refurbish these bolts, what paint can I use on them?

mramay 05-24-2019 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Zinger (Post 17795812)
Wrong wrong, OMG can't be, I can see why you have "Blasphemous Mike" in you byline after committing such an act.

Yep, I am the blasphemous one.

GreenT 05-25-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mramay (Post 17795798)

See?... See what happens when you get senile after years of hard drug use?

So I got confused with the W140 S500. Shoot me and put me out of my misery, I beg of you... :crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2:

mramay 05-25-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenT (Post 17796122)
See?... See what happens when you get senile after years of hard drug use?

So I got confused with the W140 S500. Shoot me and put me out of my misery, I beg of you... :crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2:

That's funny, that is. I made it to senile without external assistance!! Now I'm old enough to have a choice between Senior Moment or CRS (Can't Remember "Stuff").

CRS moment - can't remember who said it on here but "Sometimes it's just not worth the effort to chew through the restraints" is a truth.