LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If I understand correctly what you're saying, the drilling was so offset that even a M8x1.25 Helicoil will not have enough threads left on one side?

If I understood correctly, then I recommend you consider the following:
- Verify what size Helicoil you need that your hole will be able to be correctly tapped while keeping the center hole lined up with the hole in the intake manifold
- Verify if your cylinder head can accommodate that size hole without weakening and thus allowing for a crack to the occur future. If I understand correctly you are referring to the hole with the arrow, if so it looks you that there might be enough material, but that would need to be verified. Also investigate if the hole could go deeper.
- If you drill again in preparation for the next Helicoil, you may want to make some sort of sleeve on the drill bit, temporarily install the manifold, and use the bolt's hole passing hole through the manifold to hold your drill in place as you drill so that both holes will have same the center. Failure to have the same center may result in a crack in that area in the cylinder head in operation due to excessive stress.

Considering your situation, I suggest that you involve a good machinist to do it for you at home (friend, neighbour, etc.). If this operation will not succeed, then unfortunately I am afraid the cylinder head will have to come off and may have to be replaced. You don't want to go there, I promise you.

Perhaps other members have another solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3064_2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	2515414  

Last edited by liviu165; 05-24-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1989 SEL 560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviu165 View Post
If I understand correctly what you're saying, the drilling was so offset that even a M8x1.25 Helicoil will not have enough threads left on one side?

If I understood correctly, then I recommend you consider the following:
- Verify what size Helicoil you need that your hole will be able to be correctly tapped while keeping the center hole lined up with the hole in the intake manifold
- Verify if your cylinder head can accommodate that size hole without weakening and thus allowing for a crack to the occur future. If I understand correctly you are referring to the hole with the arrow, if so it looks you that there might be enough material, but that would need to be verified. Also investigate if the hole could go deeper.
- If you drill again in preparation for the next Helicoil, you may want to make some sort of sleeve on the drill bit, temporarily install the manifold, and use the bolt's hole passing hole through the manifold to hold your drill in place as you drill so that both holes will have same the center. Failure to have the same center may result in a crack in that area in the cylinder head in operation due to excessive stress.

Considering your situation, I suggest that you involve a good machinist to do it for you at home (friend, neighbour, etc.). If this operation will not succeed, then unfortunately I am afraid the cylinder head will have to come off and may have to be replaced. You don't want to go there, I promise you.

Perhaps other members have another solution.
Liviu165, I called my local independent MB service shop and spoke with the gentleman that has helped me several times in the past. He knew exactly which bolt I had an issue with and said that I could try the M10 helicoil but no guarantee that I would be successful. It is the bolt with the arrow in your picture. He emphasized that the bolt must hold torque.

I plan to use the intake manifold as the template guide when I drill the M10 hole in the head. That said, I will need to get my intake manifold drilled out to M10 ahead of the job. I will look for a good machine shop for that job.

Since I am drilling an M10 hole then maybe I do not need to helicoil. Maybe just an M10 tap will do the job?

You are correct. If this M10 hole is not successful then things get ugly in a hurry. The local independent talked about pulling the heads and said most of the work has already been done. Then he went into great detail about all of the other tasks that should get done. By the end of the conversation I was exhausted.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Be careful what path you chose, once you tap for M10, you can't come back to Helicoil for M8 anymore. Same thing if you decide to Helicoil for M8 - you can't tap M10.

Basically you have only shot at this, a one way ticket trip. The guy you spoke with is correct in what he told you.

I don't know if just a M10 will do or not, but I know that if it does not hold up, things will get messy afterwards. I wish you the best, I don't know what else to tell you. I was hoping other members may have a better solution.
Tom Kaiser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Here is what I would do. First, put the manifold on like Liviu suggested and make a sleeve for the M-8 size and drill it again to try and straighten the hole out. See what it looks like. Then I would drill both the manifold and head out to the M-10 helicoil size. Use the helicoil tap. Then get a helicoil for the correct hole size but with the M-8 bolt. Its a special helicoil but the do make oversize ones like that. You could also timesert the hole but that is a harder process. Trust me you do not want to take the head off. Good luck. If you have the helicoil kit, I might do all the holes
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kaiser View Post
The local independent talked about pulling the heads and said most of the work has already been done.
I am not sure I agree with this part. When you put the heads back you may hear that Helicoil inserts are needed in the block, and then the real fun starts (expensive too!), not to mention additional issues that can occur if they mess the valve adjustments. Just ask member Stutz, he can write on novel on that.

Pulling the heads off is the last thing you want to do and chances are that unless the mechanic is very careful and picky when working on your engine, your engine will never run again like before. For that reason avoid that at all costs and use it only as a last resort.

After thinking some more on your issue, here is what I suggest you can try: Put the intake manifold back and drill with the appropriate drill size for Helicoil for M8x1.25 . Keep the drill bit centered with the hole in the manifold (a sleeve will be required). When done examine the hole, if it cleaned up all around then go with M8x1.25 Helicoil. If it did not, go to the next size up, drilling only. Do not tap Helicoil unless your hole came up clean. Don't hesitate to consider the appropriate drill for the 3/8" Helicoil if the one for Helicoil M8 did not work, you want to go with the smaller size that will do the job in order not to weaken the cylinder head.
Tom Kaiser likes this.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:49 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Vehicle: 1990 420 SEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Would M8 Timesert be a bit larger in diameter if the hole is ruined for M8 helicoil? Never used neither of them.
liviu165 likes this.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heikkif View Post
Would M8 Timesert be a bit larger in diameter if the hole is ruined for M8 helicoil? Never used neither of them.
That's great question, it will come down to the drill size. The drilled hole (centered with the hole in the intake) will dictate if Timesert is more appropriate.

I have never used Timesert, but I would like to caution that Timesert requires a chamfered hole at the top and when having a gasket over a surface having Timesert installed, I think the sealing surface is reduced more than if Helicoil would have been used.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Liviu165 is right on the timesert but also it not only needs a chamfer but the surface of the thing you are doing needs to be countersunk with a special tool so the gasket will seal. For what you are doing I would stay with a helicoil. I am sure you have enough meat on the head to fix things. Keep us in the loop. Actually I think it was timesert that had the oversize insert, not helicoil.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 1990 350SDL, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
M8 helicoils require a 8.2 or 8.3mm drill, depending on the thread pitch. M8 Time-serts require a 13/32" (~10mm) drill. So, in order of material removed, M8 helicoil followed by 3/8" tap followed by M8 Time-sert. The advantage of the Time-sert is it keeps the hardware original. Disadvantage: the hole must be counterbored to get the insert flush with the surface of the head.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Whatever way you go PM me since I believe I have both kits and extra helicoils and time serts. I experimented to make sure I got the right length for all the head bolts including the manifold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in