BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 1989 300SE 232k miles
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission fluid change - torque converter

Hello All,

I'm changing the transmission fluid in my new-to-me 1989 300se with 231k miles. After putting the front on ramps, I squeezed under the car and removed the transmission pan and filter. But for the life of me, I can not find the access for the torque converter 5mm hex bolt.

I researched the crap out of this, and I may have things confused; and now that I have the car apart, I can't find what I considered to be the most accurate images and videos for reference. For some reason I'm thinking the access to the torque converter bolt is inside the transmission, in the area covered by the filter. And so it is only accessible with the filter removed.

...I should add, I have a large chest. I do not fit well under this car on ramps. My head stops at about the bell housing. I have to reach over my head to access the pan bolts, and can not actually look directly inside the transmission from underneath it.

So, I'm looking for guidance on how to find this hole. Particularly images or video.

And I'm wondering if it's the same as this Pelican Parts article for the W124?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...ter_Change.htm

If it is, I'm going to look for some sort of plastic cover over the opening when I go back. Because the opening is not there.

Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 1990 350SDL, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
You have to first remove the cross member under the bell housing. Look at section 00-2702 in the maintenance manual.
isthenew likes this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:23 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Vehicle: 1990 300SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John350 View Post
You have to first remove the cross member under the bell housing. Look at section 00-2702 in the maintenance manual.
yes just 3 bolts each side easy to remove
isthenew likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:19 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Sorry, Can't comment on the M103 but I assume the M117 is similar. There's a grill cast into the bell housing with an opening to access the drain plug. Have a helper either under the car watching for the plug to come around or turning the engine while you watch.

Once you've rotated the engine around so that the drain plug is at the bottom, do yourself a favor and mark the crankshaft pulley so the next time you can just watch for your mark as you rotate the engine. I just used a Sharpie.

Here's the section from the manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf trans drain.pdf (182.7 KB, 30 views)
isthenew likes this.

Last edited by luckymike; 05-16-2019 at 12:21 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christuna View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymike View Post
Sorry, Can't comment on the M103 but I assume the M117 is similar. There's a grill cast into the bell housing with an opening to access the drain plug. Have a helper either under the car watching for the plug to come around or turning the engine while you watch.

Once you've rotated the engine around so that the drain plug is at the bottom, do yourself a favor and mark the crankshaft pulley so the next time you can just watch for your mark as you rotate the engine. I just used a Sharpie.

I was driving to the office thinking, "Wait. The W126 had a cross beam at that spot shown on the W124. Gonna have to ask about that." And I remembered looking at that cross beam and not finding the bolts to remove it. It looked like it was fully integrated into the suspension. Which is a lesson on why I should wear my regular glasses when working on the car.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. And that link to that manual is amazing!

I'm looking forward to crawling back under there and getting this thing bad boy to where I can actually drive it more than 5 minutes.
luckymike likes this.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:15 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1981 300SD W126
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the link to the procedure, as I plan on performing this service in the near future. Very Helpful!
luckymike and isthenew like this.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 1990 350SDL, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
It's just another section from the manual available on line through the links at the top of this forum.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w12...ual-index.html
isthenew likes this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John350 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by christuna View Post
Quote:
The manual in that link says those 3 bolts are "self-encapsulating" and should be replaced. That accurate?

And someone in the forum referenced using a remote start from Harbor Freight to move the torque converter. I have to do this by myself, and at its cost, I'd happily try to use that remote start. Any of you have any idea how and where to hook it up to the car?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:48 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1990 300SE
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
you cannot use a remote starter because there is only a small window where the torque converter plug is accessible and a straight 6 engine stops in only 3 places at the flywheel.

you can use a 27mm socket from the bottom of the car and a breaker bar to rotate the engine

besides you can just do a partial fluid and filter change without draining the torque converter and after say 2000 miles do another by just unscrewing the plug at the sump and you will get a similar result.
ianrandom, oldmako and isthenew like this.

Last edited by christuna; 05-16-2019 at 07:52 PM. Reason: thought it was a v8
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:27 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Here's a neat trick for the M117. Not sure if it's the same for the M103.

On the back side of the secondary firewall, and sort of opposite the booster is a three-pin connector attached to the firewall. Disconnect this and apply 12v to the center pin. This will engage the starter to turn the motor but won't fire the ignition or the fuel pumps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in