BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1979 280 SLC, 1987 560SEC, 1995 E280T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A-pillar molding SEC

Dear enthusiasts,
Has anyone successfully removed the interior trim on the A-pillar in a c126? MB's workplace handbook make it sound really simple but I can't seem to remove the trim without bending and risk damaging either the part itself or scratching the top of the dashboard. Does the upper windshield molding have to be removed?
Also, the chafing strip won't come off easily because it's joined with the felt strip against which the window sits.
Your advice, as always, is much appreciated.
Tempur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: '87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
It can be very tricky, particularly on if the yellow foam underneath is still supple (often dried and cracks easily). One car one side came off ok, the other deformed and one clip remained stuck in the chassis metal. Frankly it was practice on a junk car, so when it comes time I'm saving it for recovering anyway and having a professional do it. Some say you can pull out and away toward the middle of the car--I needed to use a plastic interior pry tool (broad and flat). Go slow and careful. Frankly, I would find someone who has experience doing it--perhaps an independent Mercedes shop, as even the dealership staff these days rarely see these cars anymore.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempur View Post
Dear enthusiasts,
Has anyone successfully removed the interior trim on the A-pillar in a c126? MB's workplace handbook make it sound really simple but I can't seem to remove the trim without bending and risk damaging either the part itself or scratching the top of the dashboard. Does the upper windshield molding have to be removed?
Also, the chafing strip won't come off easily because it's joined with the felt strip against which the window sits.
Your advice, as always, is much appreciated.
Tempur
I've removed mine. Take off the header panel, the top piece with the visors and dome light on it (section 68-400). Then you pull the top of the A-piller toward you, away from the windshield and toward the rear, not toward the center of the car.

I believe the chafing strip comes off with the felt strip as a unit. You should be able to push that off the body. As you pull on the top of the pillar, you may find that there is adhesive from the windshield glue holding it. Be careful of the angle you use so you don't dent or damage the dash. If you get close, just pull the whole piece more toward the rear of the car rather than down toward the floor.
AxelWulff and bsclifton like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in