post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2017
Vehicle: 1991 560SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Strange New Engine Vibration After Changing Engine Mounts

I changed my mounts and dampers yesterday. I even did my transmission mount, which is great because the one I removed came out in two pieces

I have noticed a much smoother idle, but I also have a strange and subtle vibration that only started after I did this job.

I can feel it through the accelerator pedal and through the seat, though it is slight. It only seems to appear under the following conditions:
-The car is in gear and accelerating from a dead stop (like leaving a ref light)
-The car is at operating temp (this doesnít seem to manifest when itís cold)
-Engine speeds are between 800-1100 RPM in park and then only at operating temp.

I speculated that since the old mounts were super collapsed, and that since the new mounts have my engine sitting maybe 3/4Ē higher for the first time in who knows how long, the throttle linkage adjustments might have been altered by the engineís vertical displacement.

Alternatively, I speculate that my raising the engine slightly to install the mounts and dampers (it came up maybe an incho and a half as a result of my lifting it with a transmission jack) could have upset something, but I have done several visual inspections with very bright lights and I see nothing out of place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Strange New Engine Vibration After Changing Engine Mounts

I didnít read this all but the transmission mount aka rear engine mount should also be changed. So with the geometry of the mounts, after reading it perhaps your drive shaft center bearing is worn from the previous condition. Your reply came in as I am typing adding edits, sorry in the car at a light

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1991 560SEC 199 /268, 17" RS90'S, Eibach springs, Bilstein HD shocks, Custom rear sway bar, Euro Headlights, Custom ceramic coated headers and down pipes with stainless dual exhaust, W140 glass sunroof, dog ear trunk spoiler, OEM Skid Plate, Euro bumpers, wood refinish and restored.

Last edited by 281lxm; 03-24-2019 at 04:46 PM.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 281lxm View Post
I didnít read this all but the transmission mount aka rear engine mount should also be changed
It was also changed yesterday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:13 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
I vote for the rubber bearing/bushing mount at the center of the driveshaft. I have a similar vibration when accelerating from a stop. OR up a steep hill at low speed. Does yours do that on a hill?

I got under the car and discovered that the driveshaft could be wiggled quite a bit in the center so I suspect the center mount.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 281lxm View Post
I didnít read this all but the transmission mount aka rear engine mount should also be changed. So with the geometry of the mounts, after reading it perhaps your drive shaft center bearing is worn from the previous condition. Your reply came in as I am typing adding edits, sorry in the car at a light
No worries, I appreciate the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymike View Post
I vote for the rubber bearing/bushing mount at the center of the driveshaft. I have a similar vibration when accelerating from a stop. OR up a steep hill at low speed. Does yours do that on a hill?

I got under the car and discovered that the driveshaft could be wiggled quite a bit in the center so I suspect the center mount.
The driveshaft seems solid on my car, and Iíve had the rear diff down before to replace the rear flex disc and all that. It didnít give me any reason to believe that the center bearing was worn.

Additionally, I get the aforementioned strange idle anomaly in park too, after the engine is warm and has been driven for a bit. So I hesitate to think itís driveshaft-related.
luckymike likes this.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:12 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench Jedi View Post
No worries, I appreciate the input!

The driveshaft seems solid on my car, and Iíve had the rear diff down before to replace the rear flex disc and all that. It didnít give me any reason to believe that the center bearing was worn.

Additionally, I get the aforementioned strange idle anomaly in park too, after the engine is warm and has been driven for a bit. So I hesitate to think itís driveshaft-related.
Just to clarify, I don't mean the bearing. I mean the rubber support around the bearing.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 1989 MB 420SEL, 1991 560SEC
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
What exactly was the brand of parts you put on the car now? Meyle, Lemforder, URO, etc? The rubber quality plays a role too, many times overlooked.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
It was also changed yesterday.

Just like I said in the pm to you
When I finished the thought while typing i n the car at a stop light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1991 560SEC 199 /268, 17" RS90'S, Eibach springs, Bilstein HD shocks, Custom rear sway bar, Euro Headlights, Custom ceramic coated headers and down pipes with stainless dual exhaust, W140 glass sunroof, dog ear trunk spoiler, OEM Skid Plate, Euro bumpers, wood refinish and restored.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymike View Post
Just to clarify, I don't mean the bearing. I mean the rubber support around the bearing.
Is that something that would cause my vibration when the vehicle is in park and idling?

I just drove the car to the gym, and it was normal and smooth up until it reached operating temp, then between engine speeds of 1000-1500 RPM, my vibration manifested. Usually when coming into throttle after exiting a corner or something like that. I am now sitting in the vehicle in a parking lot, in park, and I have the vibration again.

Iím guessing this doesnít happen often as a result of new engine mounts
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:54 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Is that something that would cause my vibration when the vehicle is in park and idling?

I just drove the car to the gym, and it was normal and smooth up until it reached operating temp, then between engine speeds of 1000-1500 RPM, my vibration manifested. Usually when coming into throttle after exiting a corner or something like that. I am now sitting in the vehicle in a parking lot, in park, and I have the vibration again.

Iím guessing this doesnít happen often as a result of new engine mounts
Oops! I skipped right over the 'in park' part. No, clearly that takes the driveshaft out of the equation.

Well, you may have disturbed or changed something during the engine mount change. I'd probably spend some time carefully looking over the engine bay for anything out of place. If that didn't yield any answers, I guess I'd start with the troubleshooting tree in the manual, section 07.3-121.

I hate it when putting in new parts seems to create a problem.
Wrench Jedi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in